U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
If your son was anally raped by a TOJ, how many pieces of silver would be needed to be paid for the crime done for you to consider the punishment balanced with the crime? Please explain your answer so all denominations will understand how you came to your conclusion.
I think that is a very fair question.

It as an easy question for me. If my son was raped, I would prefer to have the rapist killed.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM

21,357 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think that is a very fair question.

It as an easy question for me. If my son was raped, I would prefer to have the rapist killed.
This is where we differ, in my POV and as per Shemot taking a life does not balance out with the crime. It is not our place to take a life*. Thus in my POV prison time in general population and a male chastity belt is to worn for the rest of the criminals life.

* In war, I would take another stance on taking a life. But that has no place in this thread.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:29 AM

Theflipflop, these are your words and thus you should give an answer to the question easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
The great think about living a life of Torah and Mitzvos, is there is no moral ambiguity.

Every situation that has ever happened or will ever happen is covered in the Talmud. Life gets much easier when you have a derech (way) you can rely on.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 AM

3,952 posts, read 3,340,232 times
Ok, it's an easy answer. Since I've never previously learned hilchos anal raping, I would ask a shaila of my Rav. Whatever he said, I would do. In other words, whatever the Torah would ask of me, I would do.

You see, no ambiguity.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,699,941 times
Must be so nice never having to think for yourself.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:49 AM

I tend not to make decisions on things I don't know anything about. Anal rape, for instance, is a subject I'm unfamiliar with. Therefore, if I had a serious question on the subject, I would ask my Rav what the Torah would ask of me. He would provide me the psak (halachic answer) and would give me the sources, should I want to look it up further. I'm not sure that equates to "not thinking for myself."

Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Ok, it's an easy answer. Since I've never previously learned hilchos anal raping, I would ask a shaila of my Rav. Whatever he said, I would do. In other words, whatever the Torah would ask of me, I would do.

You see, no ambiguity.
What? You don't have your own copy of the Talmud? Here let me give you a section to read.

http://www.come-and-hear.com/kethuboth/kethuboth_0.html

Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
What? You don't have your own copy of the Talmud? Here let me give you a section to read.

http://www.come-and-hear.com/kethuboth/kethuboth_0.html
You are aware, right, to own all of Shas (all the volumes of the Talmud) costs north of $3500. And the oral law is exactly that - an oral law. If a Jew thinks he can simply go to a website and understand what the Talmud has to say on any particular subject, I can assure that Jew has never learned any Talmud. The proper way is to speak with a qualified Orthodox posek (halachic decider) when one has a critical life decision to make.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You are aware, right, to own all of Shas (all the volumes of the Talmud) costs north of $3500. And the oral law is exactly that - an oral law. If a Jew thinks he can simply go to a website and understand what the Talmud has to say on any particular subject, I can assure that Jew has never learned any Talmud. The proper way is to speak with a qualified Orthodox posek (halachic decider) when one has a critical life decision to make.

So what? If you can't budget correctly to own a set, then its perfectly allowable to read it from the internet from a kosher site. Just more excuses.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
So what? If you can't budget correctly to own a set, then its perfectly allowable to read it from the internet from a kosher site. Just more excuses.
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking? I learn a bit of Gamara every single day. One cannot learn the entire Talmud overnight. It takes a lifetime. And if any specific questions come up, an Orthodox Jew will always ask his Rav. That's daas Torah, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or