U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Hyperion and Pruzhany, I have a question for you:

Let's say it's the morning before Kol Nidrei, and you are preparing to begin your Yom Kippur fast. Suddenly, you begin to feel feverish. It spikes to 101 degrees only 2 hours before Kol Nidrei.

Do you go ahead and cancel your fast, climb into bed and try to ride it out? Do you ask your doctor if you are well enough to fast? Or do you take some other approach?
Oooooooooooooooo another test!

One who has no strength to pray on Yom Kippur need not be upset. The chazzan's prayers cover for all those who cannot pray due to circumstances that are beyond their control. Thus in case of a medical emergency, or even if there is any question whether the condition is a medical emergency or not, one should be given food or medicine immediately.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,699,139 times
Quote:
Hyperion and Pruzhany, I have a question for you:

Let's say it's the morning before Kol Nidrei, and you are preparing to begin your Yom Kippur fast. Suddenly, you begin to feel feverish. It spikes to 101 degrees only 2 hours before Kol Nidrei.

Do you go ahead and cancel your fast, climb into bed and try to ride it out? Do you ask your doctor if you are well enough to fast? Or do you take some other approach?
Well this is very simple, I would poke my girlfriend awake and have her diagnose me to determine whether I go to the ER that instant (this would be most likely, because fevers in adults are VERY dangerous unlike children) or just sit in bed the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Just what we needed another so-called Rabbi who's Yeshiva & business is based out of a 1600 sqft house in Monsey, NY (home city of the Satmar for those you don't know). Just loved his bio claiming 56,000 FB likes yet currently has only 6,600.

Here's one of his video's and you decide if he's really worth taking advice from.

Rabbi Yosef Mizrachi - Torah And Science A Lecture For Beginners - YouTube
That was great. I actually lasted 5 minutes before I was laughing too hard at his watch analogy and had to shut it off.

Quote:
Iwish, I'm not sure how much exposure you have to the reform and conservative movements. I have lots. In my experience , I'm shocked at the lack of respect C Jews have for their rabbeim. I have seen that reform Jews, however, often have more respect for their rabbis. Not sure what's driving the disdain for rabbis exhibited in this forum?
I have great respect for my rabbi (and most rabbis in general). It's the ones who are essentially leading cults trying to brainwash people and covering up horrible scandals that I don't have any respect for.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:37 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,431,379 times
Quote:
Iwish, I'm not sure how much exposure you have to the reform and conservative movements. I have lots. In my experience , I'm shocked at the lack of respect C Jews have for their rabbeim. I have seen that reform Jews, however, often have more respect for their rabbis. Not sure what's driving the disdain for rabbis exhibited in this forum?
Not true in my shuls. You've had a lifetime of exposure to Jewish people, though, but you know I had to pipe up on this one.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
.... Not sure what's driving the disdain for rabbis exhibited in this forum?
We have no disdain for REAL Rav's (Rabbi's). We only have disdain for people who act like Rav's in this forum yet don't have the education to be one.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:33 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,276,969 times
We seem to have gotten side tracked.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or