Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:25 PM

864 posts, read 868,017 times

Advertisements

What would you do if your child became a baal Teshuva , began to study Torah, and completely took on Torah and Mitzvos to the full extent of the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:26 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,643,677 times
I wouldn't really care so long as they don't shut me out if his/her life.

What if any of your children left Judaism?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
What if any of your children left Judaism?
G-d forbid. That's my worst nightmare, something I don't even want to think about.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,345,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
What would you do if your child became a baal Teshuva , began to study Torah, and completely took on Torah and Mitzvos to the full extent of the law?
As a baal teshuva myself, I can relate what my parents did. They belong to a Conservative shul where the people in their shul openly disparage everything having to do with frumkite (Religious Torah observance). But my parents break from their fellow congregants on this, as having been exposed to the beauty of a Torah observant Shabbos, and their grand kids upshearins, and the warmth in their grand kids Torah Day School and so on, they realize all the hatred, fear and stereotypes their fellow Conservative Jews hold towards Torah observant Jews is sheker (false). They have not themselves become frum, but they will rigorously defend their children's right to observe the Torah to the fullest extent.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:27 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,345,780 times
And I believe my parents success in refining their hashkafos, even in the absence of mitzva observance themselves, will secure their Olam Haba. As I've said many times here in this forum, if one is unable to observe the mitzvos fully for whatever life situation they hold, but their hashkafo recognizes that mitzvos and Torah are the only proper way for a Jew to connect fully with Hashem, there is full credit in having the proper hashkafo, and there's always potential for more mitzvos down the line. I'm relatively sure JB and 1+1 are holding at this level, and notice how I never have a harsh word for anything they say or do. They will receive great scar (heavenly reward) for the nesoyos (challenges and tests) they face daily, and I admire and even envy them. My "fights" here in this forum are only with those that outright reject, or bastardize Torah observance to fit their own twisted hashkafos. Again I say, nebach.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And I believe my parents success in refining their hashkafos, even in the absence of mitzva observance themselves, will secure their Olam Haba. As I've said many times here in this forum, if one is unable to observe the mitzvos fully for whatever life situation they hold, but their hashkafo recognizes that mitzvos and Torah are the only proper way for a Jew to connect fully with Hashem, there is full credit in having the proper hashkafo, and there's always potential for more mitzvos down the line. I'm relatively sure JB and 1+1 are holding at this level, and notice how I never have a harsh word for anything they say or do. They will receive great scar (heavenly reward) for the nesoyos (challenges and tests) they face daily, and I admire and even envy them. My "fights" here in this forum are only with those that outright reject, or bastardize Torah observance to fit their own twisted hashkafos. Again I say, nebach.
Fortunately for the rest of us, your opinion is worthless in this matter, but please continue to presume what Hashem will or will not do.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Fortunately for the rest of us, your opinion is worthless in this matter, but please continue to presume what Hashem will or will not do.
There's a load of guilt naggin' at somebody.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 AM

And what pray tell would I be feeling guilty about?

Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,620,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
..... Again I say, nebach.
Is this your new word of the month for trying to fool the MODs by resorting to name calling? You are not a Mench (a person of integrity). You hold much chutzpah (audacity) in what you state, and in reality most of it is bupkis (emphatically nothing) as you kibitz (give worthless advice) during your shpiels (speeches).

Old 01-08-2014, 09:36 AM

Pruzhany you are quite the comedian. I wonder if your irony will go over TFF's head or if he gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism