U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 PM

161 posts, read 438,668 times

Advertisements

Converting to Judaism

This is something I have wanted to do for some time now. I left Christianity several years ago. Unfortunately, I got side-tracked with Messianic Judaism for a time but I found that it was not for me.
I am not knocking anyone's faith ( Christianity or Messianic Judaism) if that's what you believe in--but that was not what I wanted.

I have been keeping kosher, shabbat and observing the feasts days for nearly 10 yrs. I do know about the Noahide laws. I love Hashem and learning His Torah--it is in my heart. I am still learning and it just makes sense to me. I know that conversion won't be an easy thing but I want to do it.

I visited a conservative and reformed synagouge some time ago. I felt out of place a tiny bit, due mostly to the stares. I am a person of color so I can understand that to a point. I did call ahead to get some info before going. A few people were friendly and I was able to keep up with the prayers & liturgy. I hope to find a synagouge that has a conversion class and Torah study group.

Any thoughts or helpful information? I have read some info about people who went through conversion.

Thanks and Shalom

Ann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,386,834 times
Let's see.....

Be patient; the conversion process can be long and sometimes difficult.
Be awed by the depth and range of Jewish thought and philosophy.
Be humble before the sages and rabbis who gave us much of what we have today.
Be dedicated; while this is an amazing journey for you, many of your fellow congregants will think you clinically insane for wanting to do it.
Understand that when others contradict or argue with you, they aren't treating you like an outsider. They are treating you like family.
Remember that it is all worth it.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:09 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,341,414 times
If you're already keeping kosher and keeping Shabbos, why didn't you consider converting Orthodox? The reform and conservative largely do not observe these mitzvos. And FYI. Your color will have absolutely nothing to do whether you can convert or not. Conversion entirely hinges upon your ability to drop Yushke from your life and live a life of Torah and mitzvos.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
If you're already keeping kosher and keeping Shabbos, why didn't you consider converting Orthodox? The reform and conservative largely do not observe these mitzvos. And FYI. Your color will have absolutely nothing to do whether you can convert or not. Conversion entirely hinges upon your ability to drop Yushke from your life and live a life of Torah and mitzvos.

I don't have an issue with orthodox. I didn't know of an orthodox synagogue to visit at the time.

I have long since dropped "Yushke". I have kept in touch with a few at the Messianic group but I have no desire to return at all and they know that. The "rabbi" with there said he is concerned since I no longer believe that "Y" is the messiah and feel that I have lost salvation. This is after I pointed out in Isaiah 43 that G-d said He is the saviour. This rabbi encouraged me to study the Torah too but now Torah is an issue. I don't bother about it since I long since left.

I don't just understand how one can say they study and believe that the Torah is G-d's word and not see the discrepancies in their NT.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:35 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,700,695 times
I would recommend seeing if your area has a J.C.C. They are generally in touch with all of the different synagogues in the area and would be helpful in offering lots of good information.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 AM

21,364 posts, read 24,099,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post

I don't just understand how one can say they study and believe that the Torah is G-d's word and not see the discrepancies in their NT.
In Judaism the original OT is called the Tanakh. If as a Christian you've read the OT, then I advise to read the Tanakh. Comparing the two versions will show where the discrepancies started from and how the Greeks did numerous changes. From there you should be able to see that they treated these discrepancies as revisions in the NT. the J of J's read it in Hebrew, but translate to the congregants from the Greek version.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In Judaism the original OT is called the Tanakh. If as a Christian you've read the OT, then I advise to read the Tanakh. Comparing the two versions will show where the discrepancies started from and how the Greeks did numerous changes. From there you should be able to see that they treated these discrepancies as revisions in the NT. the J of J's read it in Hebrew, but translate to the congregants from the Greek version.
When I said Torah, I really meant Tanakh.
You are absolutely correct about the discrepancies though. I have compared many of them. I do have a Tanakh and I still have a KJV christian bible. I still even have a "Complete Jewish Bible" by David Stern. Many messianics have that one.

When I began studying, it shocked me to see how the scriptures were twisted to fit the "Y/J" person.
I'm not trying to knock anyone's faith if that's what you believe.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM

864 posts, read 733,607 times
The best advice anybody could give you is to suggest you visit a local orthodox Rabbi or find a legitimate orthodox Jewish website to guide you. MOD CUT

This site might help you
http://www.divineinformation.com/

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 01-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Comes across as an attack on City Data

Old 01-08-2014, 05:33 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,432,423 times
Good luck, Ann! I think you've received great advice. I'm a Jew by Choice also and it was the best decision I made. (By the way, the stares probably do not have much to do with being a person of color. You're just different and they are trying to figure out why you are there. I felt very conspicuous the first year I went to shul.)

PM me if you ever want to.

Chana

Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your helpful replies so far and I will look into the information.

Thank you Chana for the PM invite too.

Ann
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or