U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,342,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Usario, your post is mostly correct about "not frum enough". But I'm not sure I understand the chidush. You are right that I would feel out of place in measharim or bnei berak. Who cares? I don't go there. I don't care if I'm not frum enough for them. Why are you so bent out of shape?
Why is everybody so concerned that things seem so unfair? You want to fit in the Torah world, then guard the Torah, and I assure you that you'll fit in.

If Rabbi Weiss wants to be treated like a Torah Jew, then he still has the opportunity to change his behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,701,306 times
Quote:
Why is everybody so concerned that things seem so unfair? You want to fit in the Torah world, then guard the Torah, and I assure you that you'll fit in.

If Rabbi Weiss wants to be treated like a Torah Jew, then he still has the opportunity to change his behavior.
And what, pray tell, qualifies as the Torah world?

Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
And what, pray tell, qualifies as the Torah world?
Kashrus (eat like a Jew). Shomer Shabbos (keep Shabbos). Avodah (pray properly). Taharas hamishpakas (family purity).

Old 01-10-2014, 01:49 PM

939 posts, read 1,261,542 times
Quote:
How do you know that the real Torah world isn't Bnei Brak, and that you and your community's version of the Torah world isn't watered down Torah-Judaism-lite? Many gedolim (Torah giants) have ruled that use of the Internet and smartphones is assur, but yet you choose to follow a more lenient ruling that they are okay? The talmudei chochom (wise Torah scholars) in Bnei Brak would definitely disagree that your community is guarding the Torah or fitting in at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop
He IS a Torah Jew. He follows the basic Kashrut, Shmirat Shabbat, Avodah, and Taharat hamishpacha as part of all the 613 mitzvot that he believes himself and all Jews to be bound by, and believes in Torah miSinai. He is an Orthodox Jew just like you are.

The moral behind all this is: anyone more religious than you is a fanatic (or perhaps: on a higher madreiga (spiritual level) that you have not reached yet), and anyone less religious than you is a heretic.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
How do you know that the real Torah world isn't Bnei Brak, and that you and your community's version of the Torah world isn't watered down Torah-Judaism-lite? Many gedolim (Torah giants) have ruled that use of the Internet and smartphones is assur, but yet you choose to follow a more lenient ruling that they are okay? The talmudei chochom (wise Torah scholars) in Bnei Brak would definitely disagree that your community is guarding the Torah or fitting in at all.

He IS a Torah Jew. He is an Orthodox Jew just like you are. He follows the 613 mitzvot and believes in Torah miSinai.

The moral behind all this is: anyone more religious than you is a fanatic (or perhaps: on a higher madreiga (spiritual level) that you have not reached yet), and anyone less religious than you is a heretic.
Why do you care so much? Why can't you just do your best and keep trying to do more?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 PM

21,364 posts, read 24,104,739 times
Quote:
ROFL that's literally the funniest thing I've read all day. The irony is just too much to handle. I think TFF is actually sad there's another person that will actually call him out.
I'm amazed usuario came back as a different person compared to the posts 7+ months ago.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:37 AM

32,079 posts, read 32,980,395 times
Quote:
I know Israel is a coalition government, but other than that I have very little knowledge of Israeli politics. I was under the impression that the religious parties represented a relatively small portion of the Israeli population? If that is the case, why would secular Israelis need those parties if it's not a big majority? Is it because they're a very vocal minority and have big voter turn out?

If I recall, there was quite a bit of fuss in the last election over the ultra orthodox who were not serving in the military like the rest of the country, but I don't remember how that played out.
The reason that small religious parties are pivotal in Israeli politics is due the fact that in elections past the 2 larger parties had similar amount of seats in the Knesset meaning the party with the most seats had only a small majority (just a few seats more than) over the 2nd largest party. Therefore the religious parties were necessary to maintain the coalition government even though they represent a minority of the Israeli population.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM

How bad is it? The inside scoop on Israel's marriage crisis - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 02:23 PM

Marriage Discrimination In Israel - YouTube

Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 PM

The Torturous Track to Marriage in Israel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or