U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:07 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,337,959 times

Advertisements

Do the women in C shuls dip in the Mikva before Yom Tov?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Do the women in C shuls dip in the Mikva before Yom Tov?
Read and you decide.

The Best Kept Secret? Conservative Views of Mikvah

Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
The trend is for women to wear tefillin only where orthodox Jews are congregated to pray.

Orthodox day schools to allow women to don tefillin at daily minyan

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Je...-minyan-339090

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion..._wear_tefillin

Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I'm glad you posted that link. It didn't answer my question - I think you may have misunderstood my question, as I wasn't asking about a Nidda. Nevertheless, this link demonstrates how the C movement entirely deconstructs, reinterprets, unalienabley alters and then renders unrecognizable halachos in the Torah. So now Taharas hamishpakas (the laws of family purity) are entirely optional to Jews, according to "Rabbi" Roth? Isn't Roth the same guy who hetered (made halachicly permissible) driving on Shabbos for C Jews?

I'm trying to seek to understand where the C movement is coming from when they say are obligated in the 613 mitzvos, and yet it's not just the people but rather the movement itself that abandons or alters the halachos to point where a Torah Observant Jew cannot recognize Conservative practices as Torah driven.

One more question, and this is a big one. From a C viewpoint, are Jewish women obligated in time bound positive mitzvos? Or can they just so them if they want, but there's no obligation?

Old 01-28-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to seek to understand where the C movement is coming from when they say are obligated in the 613 mitzvos, and yet it's not just the people but rather the movement itself that abandons or alters the halachos to point where a Torah Observant Jew cannot recognize Conservative practices as Torah driven.

One more question, and this is a big one. From a C viewpoint, are Jewish women obligated in time bound positive mitzvos? Or can they just so them if they want, but there's no obligation?
Problem is, you're trying to generalize all C under one umbrella and that's not possible. It depends on the strength of the Rav over his congregants and the current generation of congregants attitudes. It is not uniform across the US (and neither is O). Even though the shul I attend is MO, it changes depending on the service. Morning and midweek are MO but Shabbat feels like C.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:59 PM

Tefillingate: Orthodoxy must not reject its most committed women
*Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 PM

One thing I've learned from participating in this forum, is that there are indeed Conservative Jews who are determined to have a relationship with Hashem, and even though their observance of Halacha can be different than how I think if should be observed, there's great merit in simply trying to know Hashem wherever you are currently holding on Halacha. I think that possibly hashkafo is as important as Halacha. And if a Jew's hashkafo is geared towards yiras hashamayim, the rest is just details.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,935,865 times
Quote:
I read a fascinating article from a highly respected author, Berel Wein, who seems to transcend religious movements and simply speak the truth. This one is on the future of Conservative Judiasm, with some good insight into it's history as well. I'd be curious which points inside this article are less than reasonable, as it all sounded pretty reasonable to me.

The Dangerous Trend in the Fringes of the Modern Orthodox Jewish World » Matzav.com - The Online Voice of Torah Jewry
I’m not Jewish and don’t have a vested interested in this debate, but the title of the article is: “The Dangerous Trend in the Fringes of the Modern Orthodox Jewish World.” Surely the article is really about the Modern Orthodox rather than Conservative Judaism.

The author’s argument is that Conservative Judaism is “dying” because it’s not orthodox enough, e.g., driving on Shabbat, etc. But isn’t that a tautology? Isn’t Conservative Judaism defined as being less-strict in its observances than Orthodox Judaism (Modern or otherwise)? If Conservative Judaism were to become more observant, wouldn’t it become Orthodox Judaism—which is perhaps with the author wants?

He seems to be warning Modern Orthodox against relaxing their observances rather than analyzing the future of Conservative Judaism.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,430,863 times
Quote:
One thing I've learned from participating in this forum, is that there are indeed Conservative Jews who are determined to have a relationship with Hashem, and even though their observance of Halacha can be different than how I think if should be observed, there's great merit in simply trying to know Hashem wherever you are currently holding on Halacha. I think that possibly hashkafo is as important as Halacha. And if a Jew's hashkafo is geared towards yiras hashamayim, the rest is just details.
Well said, my Lantzman. ;-)

Last edited by 1+1=5; 01-29-2014 at 06:19 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Well said, my brother.
IMO FWIW Lantzman or chaaver may be better words to use in this forum rather than brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or