U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 PM

939 posts, read 1,262,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I'm seriously shocked. You would prefer I speak the language of Gentiles with my fellow Jews in this forum instead of the language of Jews? Amazing.
The language of the vast majority of Jews is Modern Hebrew in Israel and English in the U.S..

Not Yiddish! Or Yinglish or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:41 PM

21,376 posts, read 24,137,102 times
Quote:
I'm seriously shocked. You would prefer I speak the language of Gentiles with my fellow Jews in this forum instead of the language of Jews? Amazing.
80% of Yiddish is a derivation of GERMAN. So who is speaking the language of Gentiles???

Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,347,521 times
Quote:
I'll get back with you all tonight. I want to clarify one point first.
So after Rav Zilberstein ruled out using "damages" as his approach to the shaila, he wanted to say in the name if the Dubna Magghid, that someone who sends a sheliach (agent) into the shook and the sheliach is killed, them the person who sent the sheliach is chaiv (responsible). But that too was not the answer. He finally said that it's impossible to do an aveira at the same time as a mitzva, and Reuven was doing a mitzva by borrowing the yarmulke to walk to the bathroom, therefore he was not chaiv and did not need to do t'shuva for the death of Shimon. That was the final psak.

What I find troubling with that psak, is that I believe one can do a mitzvah and an aveira at the same time. For instance, when ones takes the vow of a nazir, they refrain from drinking wine, which is an aveira. We know it is an aveira because when the man breaks his vow of being a nazir, he brings a korbon chatas, which is only brought for an aveira.

Maybe Iwish, or another Talmud chachim will have an answer.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
So after Rav Zilberstein ruled out using "damages" as his approach to the shaila, he wanted to say in the name if the Dubna Magghid, that someone who sends a sheliach (agent) into the shook and the sheliach is killed, them the person who sent the sheliach is chaiv (responsible). But that too was not the answer. He finally said that it's impossible to do an aveira at the same time as a mitzva, and Reuven was doing a mitzva by borrowing the yarmulke to walk to the bathroom, therefore he was not chaiv and did not need to do t'shuva for the death of Shimon. That was the final psak.

What I find troubling with that psak, is that I believe one can do a mitzvah and an aveira at the same time. For instance, when ones takes the vow of a nazir, they refrain from drinking wine, which is an aveira. We know it is an aveira because when the man breaks his vow of being a nazir, he brings a korbon chatas[/b], which is only brought for an aveira.

I request that the poster give an English translation of all the items that are bolded so I may understand what is stated.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Have a gut shabbes, all...

Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 AM

142 posts, read 67,902 times
Quote:

What I find troubling with that psak, is that I believe one can do a mitzvah and an aveira at the same time. For instance, when ones takes the vow of a nazir, they refrain from drinking wine, which is an aveira. We know it is an aveira because when the man breaks his vow of being a nazir, he brings a korbon chatas, which is only brought for an aveira.

Translation of Jewish/Hebrew terms

Shaila-question pertaining to Jewish Law
Dubna Magid- Sage/preacher of a place called Dubna?
Averiah- Sin, Transgression
Psak- Legal, Halachic ruling
Nazir- Nazarite
Koraban- Chatat - Sin offering
Chacam- sage in this case student/disciple of a sage

Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
Translation of Jewish/Hebrew terms

Shaila-question pertaining to Jewish Law
Dubna Magid- Sage/preacher of a place called Dubna?
Averiah- Sin, Transgression
Psak- Legal, Halachic ruling
Nazir- Nazarite
Koraban- Chatat - Sin offering
Chacam- sage in this case student/disciple of a sage
You've translated words without the context that they are sitting in. If you want to jump in and give translations, then translate the entire post into English using the proper context so it flows correctly and so that anyone on C-D can fully understand it. There are certain words that have no English equivalent so at a minimum a link should be supplied to explain the word.

Example:
Nazir
https://www.ou.org/torah/parsha/rabb...rom_the_nazir/

Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 PM

Since this is a Halacha thread, is it really necessary to translate? Let's talk like Jews and use words that Jews use. Why do we have to cater to the lowest common denominator? Let's talk like kings. We all can do it. I know we can. Who's with me?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Since this is a Halacha thread, is it really necessary to translate? Let's talk like Jews and use words that Jews use. Why do we have to cater to the lowest common denominator? Let's talk like kings. We all can do it. I know we can. Who's with me?
Yes we need to yield to the least common denominator since this is a public forum and thus people should not have to use a translator to attempt to figure out what you are trying to get across. This is not the YWN (Yeshiva World News) Coffee Room.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:51 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,299,862 times
Quote:
Since the thread is called "Weekly Halacha Question" I anticipate there will be Jewish terms. If any of us need a term explained, we should feel free to ask. It won't hurt for us non-Jews to learn Jewish religious terms if we venture into this thread.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism