U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 PM

864 posts, read 733,607 times

Advertisements

I don't believe the concentration camp story, and I don't believe that Rav Zilberstein, if he's any legitimate Rabbi would give a ruling as stated in Pruzh's link. There's no end to shtusim on the internet.

The Yarmulke story , at least, presents a good hypothetical shailah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 PM

21,364 posts, read 24,099,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I don't believe the concentration camp story, and I don't believe that Rav Zilberstein, if he's any legitimate Rabbi would give a ruling as stated in Pruzh's link. There's no end to shtusim on the internet.

The Yarmulke story , at least, presents a good hypothetical shailah.

If I had to venture a guess it may have come from this book:
http://www.mysefer.com/product.asp?n...eria=&PT_ID=72

Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 AM

864 posts, read 733,607 times
Nu, TFF. What's the answer?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:50 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,341,414 times
Quote:
Nu, TFF. What's the answer?
I'll get back with you all tonight. I want to clarify one point first.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:45 AM

21,364 posts, read 24,099,835 times
Quote:
There's no end to shtusim on the internet.
It really sucks when I have to figure out a word and finally figure it's a made up word used by Yeshivish Frummers (Jews who converted to Ultra Orthodox Jews and went to Orthodox Yeshivas). So if anyone need to know:

shtusim = shtuyot = nonsense

so fwiw fyi

Despite their close interconnection, Hebrew and Yiddish are two completely separate languages, each with its own distinct pronunciation and grammar. Contrary to popular belief, Yiddish is much closer to German than it is to modern Hebrew or even to Biblical Hebrew. Approximately 80% of Yiddish words are of German origin; some 5% come from Russian and other Slavic languages, and some 15% come from Hebrew. (This applies to the Yiddish that was spoken in Eastern Europe pre-World War II, not necessarily to the Yiddish currently spoken in the United States, which has absorbed a large percentage of English words. )

Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,282,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It really sucks when I have to figure out a word and finally figure it's a made up word used by Yeshivish Frummers (Jews who converted to Ultra Orthodox Jews and went to Orthodox Yeshivas). So if anyone need to know:

shtusim = shtuyot = nonsense

so fwiw fyi

Despite their close interconnection, Hebrew and Yiddish are two completely separate languages, each with its own distinct pronunciation and grammar. Contrary to popular belief, Yiddish is much closer to German than it is to modern Hebrew or even to Biblical Hebrew. Approximately 80% of Yiddish words are of German origin; some 5% come from Russian and other Slavic languages, and some 15% come from Hebrew. (This applies to the Yiddish that was spoken in Eastern Europe pre-World War II, not necessarily to the Yiddish currently spoken in the United States, which has absorbed a large percentage of English words. )
It goes beyond the Yiddish community and has found it's way into "Pop Culture" I am finding it being used quite often.

From what I gather

No longer a foreign word. Basically a word with no specific meaning. Nonsensical Slang.

shtuism and variations have become common on twitter, facebook, youtube and other social media sources.

Pretty much a form of anonymous/unknown/nonsense

I do not think is has any specific meaning nor is intended to. Sort like saying (Insert your own nonsense here)

I think it has reached the point of being "American Slang" and is no longer limited to Jews.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 AM

I knew what Iwish meant, and I'm a bit offended that a poster keeps criticizing my speech patterns. I wonder if he criticizes Americans who speak with a Mexican accent, or Black English too? Kind of feels racist.

I talk the way I talk, because my community talks this way. Should I separate myself from my people and talk a foreign way? Somebody help me please.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM

939 posts, read 1,261,337 times
I've never heard the word "shtusim" used outside of a Yeshivish context. Where in the world do non-Jews use this word?

Pruz is right about Yiddish. I've played a clip of Seinfeld in Yiddish to a German and he said he understood 90%. Ask an Israeli to watch the clip and they wouldn't understand anything. Yiddish is a German dialect picked up by Jews when they moved to Europe and partially assimilated with the non-Jewish world. Through eastern migrations into the Russian Empire Yiddish also picked up Slavic words that aren't found in other German dialects.

As Pruz said, "shtusim" is not a Hebrew word, neither are brissim (britot, plural of brit), taleisim (tallitot), and shabbosim (shabbatot).

As to whether TFF would be separating himself from his people by speaking American English or Modern Hebrew, it depends on who he considers as his people. It's apparently not the majority of Israelis or American Jews, since they use those two languages.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM

So the millions of Jews who speak the way I do, we should all change our speech patterns and start talking like you?

Old 06-02-2014, 09:35 AM

388 posts, read 316,406 times
millions? I'd like you to quantify that "millions" of Jews speak that Yeshivish dialect.

Also, I've never heard the word "Shtusim" before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism