U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:32 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,084,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just some general links. I am not going to give out my personal accounts

Youtube

Twitter

Facebook

Yahoo

Google Groups

Some clips from the above links

New York - NY Muslim Groups Decry Hostile Atmosphere
Vos Iz Neias?
Sep 1, 2010 - The group was joined by supporters including U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel. ... means; this shows your head is not in Shtusim. Look up in Google "Islamic Martyr 72" and you will get the point. Note that the result can't be posted ...

Google Groups
Google Groups allows you to create and participate in online forums and ... <p>That shokel-reminder alone ken potur machen fun ale andere shtusim.

New York - Yahoo Again Tops Google In US Web Visitors In ...
Vos Iz Neias?
Oct 21, 2013 - Yahoo was ahead of Google in July and August, too. The last time that ... Oct 21, 2013 at 08:09 PM What a bunch of Shtusim!? Says: Report as ...

Jul 1, 2012 - YAHOO NEWS. {Matzav.com Newscenter}. Email This Post · Print This ... Shtusim v'havolim! Nancy Pelosi is just as a “friend” to us as Obama, ..

Shtusim | The Daily Psychedelic Video
dailypsychedelicvideo.com/2010/05/13/shtusim/
by Ido Hartogsohn - in 274 Google+ circles
May 13, 2010 - here are some more older psychedelic yogurt ads: Shtusim, Psychedelic […] ... You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out ...
All this points to a single small group primarily in NYC using slang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
All Torah True Jews speak Yiddish, and they have kept the same Judaism for over 3000 years since Matan Torah (giving of the Torah) without any changes, therefore Yiddish comes from Mount Sinai. Whereas Hebrew was invented by the evil Tzioynim only 100 years ago.
That's tomorrow night, right?

Old 06-02-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
TWIW "shtushim" preceded "shtuyot".
Part 2.

As far as I can tell "Shtus" was first used by Hassidim and actually used in written form by Schneershon in Basi Ligani 5713 in 1951. Still think its older?

The Bottom Line | www.KabbalahWisdom.org

Quote:
That being said the actual Mishkan was made out of shiitim wood which represents the shtus dekedusha / an irrational passionate devotion to spirituality. Shtus means turning and there are two directions a person can turn; either away from G-d, Torah and Mitzvos or towards. Generally speaking the path of Torah / Bible is the middle path and a turn below / away from G-d and Torah is a Shtus Dleumas Zeh a negative turn while a turn towards G-d is a shtus dkedusha a positive turn. Particularly now when there is a strong pull away from G-d Torah and Mitzvos we need to have a shtus dekedushah to put ourselves on the correct path – going above the call of duty in our serving of G-d / goodness and kindness, Torah and Mitzvos, and this is what it says Ahani Leih Shtusa Disaba that the Shtus of one sage assisted him spiritually for the shtus dekedushah rectifies the Shtus Dleumas Zeh – the opposite shtus.”

Old 06-02-2014, 12:56 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,337,959 times
What does the age of the word have to do with the appropriateness of using it?

I don't think you are grasping that your critisism of our speech patterns is equivalent to critisizing Black English. Not cool and has the appearance of racism.

I have criticized your (lack of) Torah Observance because that's the icker of who we are as Yidden. But to criticize manner of speech of an entire segment of Yidden is hitting way below the belt.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:28 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
Quote:
As far as I can tell "Shtus" was first used by Hassidim and actually used in written form by Schneershon in Basi Ligani 5713 in 1951. Still think its older?
I don't know how old "shtusim" is, but regardless whether it's 6 months old, or 600 years old, it still preceded shtuyot.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:46 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
What I'm struggling with, is how did some posters here come to the "conclusion" that Yeshivish is an inferior dialect (and therefore it's speakers are inferior).

Can anyone give me an example in the Torah that belittles the way so many Jews speak in order to validate the opinion that Yeshivish is inferior and should not be spoken?
I could care less about what you choose to speak at home. However, this is an English speaking forum and I expect people to communicate in a way so that everyone can participate. Sadly you don't seem to care about that so you just do your own thing and could care less about the people reading your posts. Basically it shows how selfish you are.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM

3,942 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I could care less about what you choose to speak at home. However, this is an English speaking forum and I expect people to communicate in a way so that everyone can participate. Sadly you don't seem to care about that so you just do your own thing and could care less about the people reading your posts. Basically it shows how selfish you are.
I don't think you can appreciate how difficult it is to tailer one's speaking patterns to such a low common denominator. Have you ever asked an African American to change their speech patters to suit your whims?

Old 06-02-2014, 01:54 PM

It's COULDN'T care less, for crying out loud. COULDN'T care less.

You never seemed to have a problem understanding anything TFF posted, Hyper, so why the griping. Oh, I forgot. It's TFF, so you've got to find something.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM

939 posts, read 1,260,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
What does the age of the word have to do with the appropriateness of using it?
It doesn't, but I'm pointing out that iwish's claim is false.

Quote:
I don't think you are grasping that your critisism of our speech patterns is equivalent to critisizing Black English. Not cool and has the appearance of racism.
It's highly debateable whether telling people to speak American Standard English is racist. AAVE developed out of Southern U.S. English because African Americans were forced to live separately from White people with little social contact allowed by law. Yinglish developed because "Torah True Jews" wanted to recreate in the U.S. the ghetto walls imposed on them by the Tsar and pre-Enlightenment Europe.

Quote:
I have criticized your (lack of) Torah Observance because that's the icker of who we are as Yidden. But to criticize manner of speech of an entire segment of Yidden is hitting way below the belt.
If Yeshivish Jews want to speak Yeshivish amongst themselves and isolate themselves from the majority of the world's Jews, they can go ahead. But on this forum, people should use American Standard English unless they are assuming that everyone here speaks (or should be speaking) Yeshivish. Do you think Sephardim and Israelis ought to learn what words like "shtusim" mean?

Glossary:
ikar: principle, main point
yidden: Yiddish for "Jews", in Hebrew it is "yehudim"

Old 06-02-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Do you think Sephardim and Israelis ought to learn what words like "shtusim" mean?
Yes. They should, if they don't know it yet. One should always learn something new every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism