U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM

864 posts, read 735,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
yes, my mother was born jewish, her mother was born jewish, and her mother was born jewish.
Well, then join the chabad or modern orthodox shul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,437,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post
TFF, my Zionism sniffer says something is off from your knowledge of Zionism. It appears you have no idea about right-wing Zionist parties in Israel, like Likud.

Anyway, I was born and raised reform by my parents. After realizing last year that the reform movement is responsible for creating anti-Israel groups within the Jewish community, I had to leave this looney left-wing movement.
I see terms used by you which concern me. "Weird", "looney", "not authentic". Even my most pious Orthodox friends don't speak like this of other branches, and nor should you in my opinion. It's extremely unbecoming.

If the other branches don't appeal to you and you find them as you described, why would you consider affiliating with them? Funny, almost everyone I ran into in the Reform movement was kind, and the word "disgust" never crossed my mind or lips.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 PM

61 posts, read 56,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I see terms used by you which concern me. "Weird", "looney", "not authentic". Even my most pious Orthodox friends don't speak like this of other branches, and nor should you in my opinion. It's extremely unbecoming.

If the other branches don't appeal to you and you find them as you described, why would you consider affiliating with them? Funny, almost everyone I ran into in the Reform movement was kind, and the word "disgust" never crossed my mind or lips.
Your orthodox friends are just being nice to you. When I speak about being from a reform temple and went to a conservative temple last week, a bunch of male congregants at Chabad said, "ahhh they do goyim stuff there like play organs and guitar during service!!"

Adding a guitar is way too folksy for me and an organ most definitely was adapted from Christian churches. How is that Jewish, 1+1?

Also, I agree with you that many people in the Reform movement are nice. However, I feel it is my duty to inform my Reform brothers and sisters about the political problems it is creating for us Jews: such as Jstreet and JVP. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, maybe you should stick your head in the sand like Obama is doing when it comes to the problems in the Middle East.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:44 PM

939 posts, read 1,265,195 times
Quote:
Also, I agree with you that many people in the Reform movement are nice. However, I feel it is my duty to inform my Reform brothers and sisters about the political problems it is creating for us Jews: such as Jstreet and JVP. I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it, maybe you should stick your head in the sand like Obama is doing when it comes to the problems in the Middle East.
Did you not read the rest of my post? J Street and Jewish Voices for Peace are not at all affiliated with the Reform movement, and in fact have Conservative and Orthodox members. There are Reform Jews who are strongly Zionist and hawkishly pro-Israel, and there are Orthodox Jews who wish Israel would be wiped off the map and was replaced with a single Palestinian state.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Did you not read the rest of my post? J Street and Jewish Voices for Peace are not at all affiliated with the Reform movement, and in fact have Conservative and Orthodox members. There are Reform Jews who are strongly Zionist and hawkishly pro-Israel, and there are Orthodox Jews who wish Israel would be wiped off the map and was replaced with a single Palestinian state.
Yes, I read your post. You need to admit that the Reform movement is responsible for Jstreet and JVP because the people that started these groups were raised in Reform temples. Look it up, it was mostly Reform Jews. Sure, maybe some conservative and orthodox jews have joined these groups, but there are currently way more Reform members. Why are all these Reform Jews joining Jstreet and JVP? Do you think it may be because of what they were taught by their Reform parents and by their Reform rabbis? Or do you think these political thoughts were miraculously put in their minds by Hashem?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Your orthodox friends are just being nice to you. .
You're right about that. Yes, they are being nice to me. They love me and welcome me as a fellow Jew.

I have never heard a Jew ask if they "do goyim stuff like...." at any of my services. That sounds like a parody of what gentiles think Jews speak like. Anyway, at services, we are praying, and not gossiping about what occurs at other shuls, though.

This whole thread is just too silly for me to take seriously! Have a good night.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:57 PM

^Apparently you don't stay around for kiddish. We all mingle after prayer and since I'm new they all ask me questions like........here's the conversation:

Pious Orthodox Jew 1: "where were you last Saturday?"
Former Reform Jew (me): "...at Conservative Temple X."
Pious Orthodox Jew 2: "how was it?"
Former Reform Jew: "I understood most of the hebrew and could follow the service. It was weird seeing women wearing tallits and kippahs. Friday, they had a contemporary folk service and played Bob Seger toons on guitar for the last 5 minutes. I didn't like that."
Pious Orthodox Jew 1: "Yeah, those temples have adopted goyim customs..."
Pious Orthodox Jew 2: "Yeah, they do things different there."

On Tuesdays, this chabad has a class on how to pray in Shul. My first day there I sat next to this pious orthodox Russian Jew and we started talking about how I was Shul shopping. Here's the coversation:

Pious Russian Orthodox Jew: "Where are you looking?"
Former Reform Jew (me): "Conservative Temple X and Y, Modern Orthodox B, and here."
Pious Russian Orthodox Jew: "Go here!"
Former Reform Jew: "What time is service on Friday?"
Pious Russian Orthodox Jew: "Sundown."
Former Reform Jew: "how do you get out of work so early?"
Pious Russian Orthodox Jew: "Usually you can make a deal with the Goyim to let you out early on Shabbat and make up the lost hours on another work day."
Former Reform Jew: "okay, well I'll come in a a week or two. I'm going to try out conservative temple X on Friday and their service starts at 6 pm."
Pious Russian Orthodox Jew: "They're different there. They have some goyim customs."

Last edited by bobo1234; 02-11-2014 at 06:07 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
^Apparently you don't stay around for kiddish. We all mingle after prayer and since I'm new they all ask me questions like........here's the conversation:

those temples have adopted goyim customs..."
Wow. I had no idea!

We usually talk about different things at kiddush, like how to solve problems and how to make the world better, but the Rabbi and my Hebrew teacher usually welcomed me to their table.

You'd be thought of poorly at my table if you spread dirt from other temples, especially when the other temple welcomed you in good faith. It's kind of like accepting a dinner invitation from someone and then spreading the word that their house is dirty or you didn't like the dinner, right?

I've never, ever heard an Orthodox Jew ask for dirt on other congregations. If they did, they didn't ask any newcomers.

Do what you think is best, though (shrug). I'm confident that your heart will guide you towards your own kind of people.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM

864 posts, read 735,340 times
Quote:
Pious Orthodox Jew 1: "Yeah, those temples have adopted goyim customs..."
Sadly, that's the truth. How do you counteract these "snide" truths?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:12 PM

12,073 posts, read 16,818,612 times
I would walk right out of any synagogue where it was socially acceptable to talk about "goyim", especially with the type of sneer coming through your posts. These don't sound like good people, much less good Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or