U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:01 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,698,340 times

Advertisements

Yeah I just asked my girl friend if she had ever been asked what her back ground/ Jewishness of her mother when she was very involved at Hillel in college. Her last name is very British (ends in "son") as her father converted 3 times while she was growing up, yet she said she has never been asked about whether she was born Jewish or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 06:18 PM

3,944 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yeah I just asked my girl friend if she had ever been asked what her back ground/ Jewishness of her mother when she was very involved at Hillel in college. Her last name is very British (ends in "son") as her father converted 3 times while she was growing up, yet she said she has never been asked about whether she was born Jewish or not.
Reform and C Jews don't ask that question because they don't really care which of their fellow congregants are Jewish or not. It's just another Halacha to violate, so what's the difference.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM

939 posts, read 1,260,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well Hillel is supposed to cover the wide range of Judaism. I've never heard of any issue at UVA, VCU or U of R.
It's not Hillel doing the vetting. Hillel was hosting a Jewish learning program sponsored by Aish, and the registration form for the Aish program asked for students' parents' Jewishness. As far as I know Hillel doesn't care who comes, as long as they are Jewish or interested in Judaism.

And TFF is wrong about Reform and Conservative shuls. My fiancee is a Reform convert and before she converted they told her not to accept an aliyah if asked.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 PM

388 posts, read 316,213 times
Same here Usuario.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,698,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Reform and C Jews don't ask that question because they don't really care which of their fellow congregants are Jewish or not. It's just another Halacha to violate, so what's the difference.
Yeah, they like having ~25% of their congregants be followers of Mithras and AT LEAST 10% be adherents to Thor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
And TFF is wrong about Reform and Conservative shuls. My fiancee is a Reform convert and before she converted they told her not to accept an aliyah if asked.
TFF is wrong about something!? Shocking

Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post
At the end, I noticed (that of the Jews) it was mostly reform jews participating or giving a helping hand to the anti-Israel movement and this is the main reason why I left. Reform is too far left for me and I feel like it doesn't care on keeping its Jewish traditions.
Very interesting comments, Bobo.

You seem to be a person who likes to think for yourself and form your own opinions, so do you really think you will be happier in a more fundamentalist religion like Orthodox Judaism?

Why can't you just read a so-called holy book (take your pick) and form your own religion that suits your individual needs and beliefs?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 PM

3,944 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

You seem to be a person who likes to think for yourself and form your own opinions, so do you really think you will be happier in a more fundamentalist religion like Orthodox Judaism?

Why can't you just read a so-called holy book (take your pick) and form your own religion that suits your individual needs and beliefs?
I like you Hiker, but you sure are talented in your ability to speak out the viewpoint of the yetzer hara.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:42 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
Quote:
That's the reform movement, hiker.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM

61 posts, read 56,663 times
Quote:

There's a couple things you're missing here hiker. I want to learn all the rituals and prayers that my ancestors did before moving to America. I'm not sure you're aware of this, but many of the rituals and prayers are either mutated or get lost with the non-orthodox movements. Many times when you ask conservative or reform rabbis and their congregants why they white-wash or drop certain customs; they usually give an explanation that it's no longer useful for the current generation because of its out-of-date thinking. Well, this works great for progressive thinking Jews who want to have a small connection to their Jewish culture and religion. However, there are Jews like me who want to practice the unchanged rituals and prayers and have a deeper connection with the religion of my ancestors.

Quote:
iWish give a perfect answer for this; picking and choosing what you want from the Torah is the Reform movement and a majority of the conservative movement. I see nothing wrong with continuing the traditions of our ancestors and I believe it makes us stronger, not weaker Jews.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:43 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post
However, there are Jews like me who want to practice the unchanged rituals and prayers and have a deeper connection with the religion of my ancestors.
Bobo, I can definitely respect that point of view. I have recently been doing a lot of research identifying my American ancestors and learning about their behavior. I have seen things I admire and things I abhor, like sending a little girl to a dungeon because they thought she was a witch.

You explained your thoughts very well and I hope it works for you. It seems to work for others of all faiths. Like they say, "Give me that old time religion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism