U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 11:11 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post
..... I want to learn all the rituals and prayers that my ancestors did before moving to America.
Being Reform, Conservative or Orthodox in the US is not going to give you that. In the US you'd get different variants of the rituals, but unless you go to a synagogue with a largely elderly population you're going to end up with a Americanized Yiddishized version.

To give you an example: For the preparation of my Bar Mitzvah I was trained in the US by Americanized Ger Hasidim. When I arrived in Israel the Ger Hasidim there nearly had a fit as the words were pronounced incorrectly and the melody was completely off. I spent nearly a month from sun up to sleep time re-learning everything. When they knew I had it right by their standards, they rewarded me with my Bar Mitzvah at the Kotel for all to hear.

There's much more to the rituals then just becoming Orthodox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 AM

388 posts, read 316,280 times
Rewarded you with your Bar Mitzvah? You are Bar Mitzvah from the day you turn 13. Could the Hasidim not allow you that inevitable right?

Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 AM

61 posts, read 56,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There's much more to the rituals then just becoming Orthodox.
True, but you have to admit the American Orthodox does a better job of preserving rituals than the non-orthodox American Shuls.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
True, but you have to admit the American Orthodox does a better job of preserving rituals than the non-orthodox American Shuls.
It depends on where in the US. NYC & Chicago will do the best job no matter the level. South is hit or miss depending on the community and west seems to be simply going through the motions since so many generations have passed since they arrived in the 1800's.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Rewarded you with your Bar Mitzvah? You are Bar Mitzvah from the day you turn 13. Could the Hasidim not allow you that inevitable right?

First the reward was it being done at the Kotel instead of a Shul. Secondly your attainment of the correct age is based on ha'luach ha'ivri (Jewish Calender) not your birth certificate and thirdly your third comment makes no logical sense.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM

388 posts, read 316,280 times
I was asking because I was not sure what you meant completely.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
I was asking because I was not sure what you meant completely.

That's ok. When in doubt, ask.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
iWish give a perfect answer for this; picking and choosing what you want from the Torah is the Reform movement and a majority of the conservative movement. I see nothing wrong with continuing the traditions of our ancestors and I believe it makes us stronger, not weaker Jews.
But which traditions are you looking at. The ones that are just a few hundred years old or the ones that are a few thousand years old? Are you looking at the traditions of those in Diaspora outside of the Levant to Eastern Europe only or the traditions from N Africa and the Middle East?

Here is a link to the less known Yerushalami Talmud:
http://halakhah.com/yerushalmi_berak...ahavy_2010.pdf

If you've never read the Babylonian Talmud, then you may not be able to understand the differences in Torah interpretation depending on where the people were from when it was written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism