U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:09 AM

61 posts, read 56,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
What do you think of Reform Zionists like the members of ARZA and most Reform Jews in Canada and the UK?
I love Reform Zionists! I don't know much about ARZA and I don't feel like googling them. If they're pro-Israel and not too left-wing like Jstreet and JVP, I'm okay with them!

I know that the Reform movement in Canada and the UK is more to the right than America, which is great, but isn't it just like the Conservative movement?

Quote:
How do you know this?
Orthodox follow Jewish Law, the other movements are spotty on this issue.

Quote:
Would you attend a same sex wedding of a family member....
I attended my brother's wedding to another man a couple of years ago at a fabulous hotel! Mind you I was liberal then, but it was nice! I really have no problem with homosexuality, it's just not a political priority for me.

Quote:
...or a wedding between one of your family members and a non-Jew?
I haven't had an occurrence like this yet. I know Orthodox have a bunch of rules on your question and I'll need to look into it. However, I do believe you can go to the wedding party if it is secular and kosher food is served.

Quote:
What if the gay family member or non-Jew had a strong Jewish identity and observance (just not to Orthodox levels, obviously)?
If the gay family member has a strong Jewish identity, that is awesome! I don't understand the second part of your question, how can a non-Jew have a strong Jewish identity?

Btw, I stand by my notion that Reform and Conservative practice a new similar religion to Orthodox called Judaismlite (Judiasm-lite). Many Jews belong to these two new religious sects.

Quote:
That's not what I'm asking. What do you think of the authenticity of the Judaism of Chabad rabbis who believe (secretly or otherwise) that Menachem Mendel Schneerson is the Living Messiah (ask your rabbi if he has ever said: "yechi adoneinu moreinu v'rabeinu, melech hamoshiach l'olam vaed"), that although he died in 1994, the tomb is empty.
I'm meeting a chabad rabbi tomorrow to work on my first Mitzvah. I'll ask him and then I'll get back to you. Are you sure that this is what the Chabad movement believes?

Last edited by bobo1234; 02-13-2014 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM

864 posts, read 736,994 times
Quote:
I'm meeting a chabad rabbi tomorrow to work on my first Mitzvah. I'll ask him and then I'll get back to you. Are you sure that this is what the Chabad movement believes?
Some in Lubavitch believe so, certainly not all. Those who believe so are called the "mishachists".

Are you joining the Chabad movement, or are you starting to keep Mitzvos Hashem? There is a difference, you know.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
....The question to ask yourself.... Will my great-grandchildren still be Jews.
Excellent point! After many generations of American Jews practicing Judaismlite (Judiasm-lite) we're getting to the point where we know nothing about our own culture. Over 1/3 of Reform Jews are marrying non-jews. Do you Reform people really care about your own ethnicity, culture, and religion? If so why aren't you raising your children and telling them that they can marry whoever they want as long as their Jewish?

Old 02-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
....Are you joining the Chabad movement, or are you starting to keep Mitzvos Hashem? There is a difference, you know.
I am not joining the Chabad movement. They're cheap and it looks like they can teach me a lot!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
I am not joining the Chabad movement. They're cheap and it looks like they can teach me a lot!
Then you certainly don't need to be concerned with what some folks in Lubavitch believe. If you ever do join, at least you will know to keep away from the meshichastin.

Although, I do suggest you ask your Rabbi about this topic. Questions are always good.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:04 PM

939 posts, read 1,268,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post
I love Reform Zionists! I don't know much about ARZA and I don't feel like googling them. If they're pro-Israel and not too left-wing like Jstreet and JVP, I'm okay with them!

Orthodox follow Jewish Law, the other movements are spotty on this issue.
So does Open Orthodoxy and Conservadox / Masorti. The difference is that mainstream Orthodoxy believes that they do not sufficienly respect Jewish traditions regarding the roles of women and interaction with the non-Orthodox world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234
I attended my brother's wedding to another man a couple of years ago at a fabulous hotel! Mind you I was liberal then, but it was nice! I really have no problem with homosexuality, it's just not a political priority for me.
Homosexuality, along with adultery, incest, and bestiality, is one of the three transgressions that are regarded in the Torah as being better to be killed for than to commit. "Yehareg v'al yaavor": let him be killed than to transgress. The others are idolatry and murder. The Orthodox worldview would require you to view what your brother is doing as toeiva (abomination). You can't pick and choose in Orthodox Judaism.

Quote:
I haven't had an occurrence like this yet. I know Orthodox have a bunch of rules on your question and I'll need to look into it. However, I do believe you can go to the wedding party if it is secular and kosher food is served.
If it's secular, why would there be kosher food, especially if the kosher standards are Orthodox?

Quote:
I don't understand the second part of your question, how can a non-Jew have a strong Jewish identity?
Many people who are non-Jews to Orthodox Jews are very active in Jewish life. They may keep kosher, Shabbat, go to synagogue regularly and even lead services, be Jewish camp counselors, and on the board of Zionist and Jewish community organizations. They are non-Jews because either their mother is not Jewish, or they or their mothers had non-Orthodox conversions. Many have strong Jewish identitites but because they are not Jewish to Orthodox standards, you have to use Orthodox rules against them: any food they cook is not kosher, unpasteurized wine becomes nonkosher once they touch it, you can't go to their wedding to a Jew who does have a Jewish mother, they don't count in a minyan, and can't receive synagogue honors.

Quote:
Btw, I stand by my notion that Reform and Conservative practice a new similar religion to Orthodox called Judaismlite (Judiasm-lite). Many Jews belong to these two new religious sects.
Ashkenazi Orthodox Judaism is a new religious sect that started as a reaction to Reform and Conservative Judaism in the 18th and 19th century. Sephardic Judaism has more of an unbroken chain of religious tradition from Moses and Mount Sinai.

Quote:
It depends on the rabbi. Although all of Chabad venerates Rabbi Schneerson, there's no official position on his messiah-hood. Most Chabad rabbis will not openly advertise to non-religious Jews that they think he is the messiah, probably because that would scare non-religious Jews and their donations away.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
So does Open Orthodoxy and Conservadox / Masorti. The difference is that mainstream Orthodoxy believes that they do not sufficienly respect Jewish traditions regarding the roles of women and interaction with the non-Orthodox world.
Interesting. Well these are small movements in the states, I guess they are bigger in Europe?

Quote:
Homosexuality, along with adultery, incest, and bestiality, is one of the three transgressions that are regarded in the Torah as being better to be killed for than to commit. "Yehareg v'al yaavor": let him be killed than to transgress. The others are idolatry and murder. The Orthodox worldview would require you to view what your brother is doing as toeiva (abomination). You can't pick and choose in Orthodox Judaism.
True and the Torah calls for these people to be stoned to death. Yet, most modern-day Orthodox Rabbis are against this. Why are they against this? You may want to also take a look in the Mishna and Talmud.

Last edited by bobo1234; 02-13-2014 at 12:34 PM..

Old 02-13-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Ashkenazi Orthodox Judaism is a new religious sect that started as a reaction to Reform and Conservative Judaism in the 18th and 19th century. Sephardic Judaism has more of an unbroken chain of religious tradition from Moses and Mount Sinai.
You have it backwards, my friend. All Jews, ashkenazim and sefardim, have an unbroken chain of religious tradition from Mt. Sinai. Reform broke away to form their own group leading to mass assimilation. The conservatives were formed in America in reaction to reform who were too radical for their taste. By now, both are one big blur.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
You have it backwards, my friend. All Jews, ashkenazim and sefardim, have an unbroken chain of religious tradition from Mt. Sinai. Reform broke away to form their own group leading to mass assimilation. The conservatives were formed in America in reaction to reform who were too radical for their taste. By now, both are one big blur.
Unless he subscribes to the Khazar conspiracy theory....

Oh boy, I sure hope we're not dealing with an anti-semite!

Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM

21,400 posts, read 24,274,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post

Oh boy, I sure hope we're not dealing with an anti-semite!
Keep in mind he stated "have an unbroken chain of religious tradition" and not a genetic chain. Also notice he left out Mizrahi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism