U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,446,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Yes, I fully understood that I needed to undertake the conversion process when I decided I wanted to be an active member of a synagogue and community.

I don't understand why a few Reform peoples opinion on the State of Israel is enough to warrant becoming Orthodox, especially when the Ultra-Orthodox were very against the creation of Israel in 1948. One of my favorite lines embodying that from the movie "The Chosen" is a Chasidic male telling a fellow Jew that was involved in Zionism "You are worse than Hitler. Whereas Hitler killed the Jewish body, you are killing the Jewish soul".

Never have I been asked if my mother is Jewish or if I was a convert. I look Jewish as I've inherited many physical traits from my father. If someone asked me, I'd probably not talk to that person again because its such a weird thing to ask someone. I was welcomed with open arms into my congregation. Quite frankly, they were thrilled that someone my age wants to go to Shul and Study.

Funny story: My younger brother was in Miami on the club scene with his girlfriend and friend of hers and got to a Club late. By that time it was packed and they could not get in. His girlfriends friend was chatting up this guy (who turned out to be the owner) and he decided to let the two girls in. He looks at my brother and asks "Are you Jewish" (the owner was very clearly Jewish and my brother looks like your stereotypical Jew) and my brother responds with "Baruch HaShem". He then let my brother in as well and hooked them up with VIP club access.

At least I'm rubbing off on him
Ha! Funny story! I love it!

I've never been asked if I was born Jewish or had a Jewish mother, either. I used to anticipate being asked that, but never was. I would now consider that to be a very rude question by anyone other than the Rabbi. Usually people will say, "What brings you here?" if you're new, and then stop and listen. Or one time, I got (in a discussion about something), "Did you grow up on Maneschevitz?" (I don't know how anyone can drink that stuff, honestly ;-))

One time after introducing myself the person repeated my Wasp-ish last name and said, "XYZ? Oh, THAT'S interesting!" I was confident enough by that time to say, "Oh, thank you! It is!" confidently with my brilliant smile/wink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:22 AM

388 posts, read 318,536 times
Ugh Manischewitz is disgusting. I bought a bottle last year for Pesach and I think its still in my outside refrigerator. I never liked wine anyway, so I stick to Kedem grape juice for Kiddush and Holidays. At first I really despised it (not huge on grape drinks), but now I've come to really enjoy it. Pairs so lovely with Challah

Yeah, the yentas around here don't ask if you are Jewish, they just ask if you are visiting. So nosy because they go further than that (Oh, you should have your parents join us!), but at least they care and in my case, make you feel welcome (they only did this at the Conservative synagogues that I went to). I imagine you'd get more weird stares or questions if you were a person of color. I think its kinda weird that every Shul I've been to has only had their staff seem to be of color, which in my mind reinforces the stupid stereotype to old people that if you are of color, you must be "the help".

Old 02-16-2014, 11:51 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,732,908 times
Quote:
I think its kinda weird that every Shul I've been to has only had their staff seem to be of color, which in my mind reinforces the stupid stereotype to old people that if you are of color, you must be "the help".
This is true of the ones I've been to in Dallas, Memphis, & Milwaukee. I wonder why that is?

Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,405,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Ha! Funny story! I love it!

I've never been asked if I was born Jewish or had a Jewish mother, either. I used to anticipate being asked that, but never was. I would now consider that to be a very rude question by anyone other than the Rabbi. Usually people will say, "What brings you here?" if you're new, and then stop and listen. Or one time, I got (in a discussion about something), "Did you grow up on Maneschevitz?" (I don't know how anyone can drink that stuff, honestly ;-))

One time after introducing myself the person repeated my Wasp-ish last name and said, "XYZ? Oh, THAT'S interesting!" I was confident enough by that time to say, "Oh, thank you! It is!" confidently with my brilliant smile/wink.
Quote:
Ugh Manischewitz is disgusting. I bought a bottle last year for Pesach and I think its still in my outside refrigerator. I never liked wine anyway, so I stick to Kedem grape juice for Kiddush and Holidays. At first I really despised it (not huge on grape drinks), but now I've come to really enjoy it. Pairs so lovely with Challah

Yeah, the yentas around here don't ask if you are Jewish, they just ask if you are visiting. So nosy because they go further than that (Oh, you should have your parents join us!), but at least they care and in my case, make you feel welcome (they only did this at the Conservative synagogues that I went to). I imagine you'd get more weird stares or questions if you were a person of color. I think its kinda weird that every Shul I've been to has only had their staff seem to be of color, which in my mind reinforces the stupid stereotype to old people that if you are of color, you must be "the help".
My synagogue is the only one in a 10 county area, so we tend to get all kinds of Jews at service. One Shabbat we had several orthodox in town (family of members), and we all got to talking at oneg about family traditions. During the conversation, they asked me about my traditions, and I told than I was a convert and that we were making ours as we went along.

Afterwards, two of the orthodox guys pulled me aside and chastised me for saying that I was a convert; they told me I was a Jew, and that was all that mattered.

I'm sure that for some Jews, your family background or that of your rabbi is very important, but I'm starting to think that it isn't all that much of an issue for the vast majority of us.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM

939 posts, read 1,270,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Out of curiousity, has a stranger EVER asked you out of the blue if your mother was Jewish or if you had converted? I really don't see anyone bringing that up and if they did, I probably wouldn't want to get to know
I've been asked in person by the Chabad shlichim at the Kotel (Western Wall) before putting tefillin on me. At every single "non-denominational" Jewish outreach event or program that's run by Orthodox Jews (e.g. Chabad and Aish), they always ask about your mother's Jewish status. Note that these events are mainly attended by secular and unaffiliated Jews, but they still ask because they don't want to waste money on non-Orthodox converts and their kids and to avoid accidentally counting them in a minyan, letting them recite a group blessing (which would be bracha l'vatala: a blessing in vain), or having them potentially meeting and dating a Jew by birth.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:56 PM

21,425 posts, read 24,305,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap
Out of curiousity, has a stranger EVER asked you out of the blue if your mother was Jewish or if you had converted? I really don't see anyone bringing that up and if they did, I probably wouldn't want to get to know
Never.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:05 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,732,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I've been asked in person by the Chabad shlichim at the Kotel (Western Wall) before putting tefillin on me. At every single "non-denominational" Jewish outreach event or program that's run by Orthodox Jews (e.g. Chabad and Aish), they always ask about your mother's Jewish status. Note that these events are mainly attended by secular and unaffiliated Jews, but they still ask because they don't want to waste money on non-Orthodox converts and their kids and to avoid accidentally counting them in a minyan, letting them recite a group blessing (which would be bracha l'vatala: a blessing in vain), or having them potentially meeting and dating a Jew by birth.
Interesting. So will they bar a non-Orthodox convert from attending those types of events? I mean if not, I don't see the point in asking. All the non-denominational events I've gone to have been run by either Hillel (associated with UW-M) or the Milwaukee JCC and they NEVER asked those types of questions.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM

939 posts, read 1,270,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Interesting. So will they bar a non-Orthodox convert from attending those types of events? I mean if not, I don't see the point in asking. All the non-denominational events I've gone to have been run by either Hillel (associated with UW-M) or the Milwaukee JCC and they NEVER asked those types of questions.
Only the non-Orthodox convert dumb / honest enough to tell the organizers that they or their mother was not born Jewish. And it is a travesty that Campus Hillels are often the ones hosting these Orthodox organizations who would deny people from participating due to their honesty.

One of the questions on the application for a "Jerusalem Online University" event here in Virginia (sponsored by Aish) was "Is your mother Jewish? Is your father Jewish?"

Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM

388 posts, read 318,536 times
Unless it was a Rabbi asking in an official capacity, I'd never divulge my mothers religious status or that I converted.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM

21,425 posts, read 24,305,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
.... And it is a travesty that Campus Hillels are often the ones hosting these Orthodox organizations who would deny people from participating due to their honesty.
Well Hillel is supposed to cover the wide range of Judaism. I've never heard of any issue at UVA, VCU or U of R.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism