Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times

Advertisements

Some questions for you:

Are you truly done ever eating treif food again?

Are you ready to keep the sabbath, even if it means it effects your ability to earn a living?

It appears as if you are unmarried. Are you prepared to become a shomer negiah ( someone who guards the sanctity of male/ female relationships)?

Are you ready to be ridiculed by your fellow non religious Jews who currently outnumber you?

Are you ready to take 12 days off from work this year for the Jewish holidays?

If yes to all, then you have arrived at bliss and the true recipe for perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:00 PM

61 posts, read 68,604 times
^TFF, I will answer all your questions with this:

I'm doing this one Mitzvah at a time. Tomorrow I start my first Mitzvah.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post

There are 613 Mitzvot. Many you most likely did already. Just strive to add to the ones you've done already.

Here's the cheat sheet just in case:

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Old 02-14-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:

When I began to become Torah Observant, my Rav gave me a great piece if advice. "baby steps"

Increasing your relationship with Hashem can only be done with mitzvos, and you should view your journey like this: first you turn towards Hashem. Check, looks like you've done that. Then you treat increasing your arsenal of mitzvos like a ladder. If you take too many rings if the ladder at once, you'll slip off and likely fall to the bottom. So take it one step at a time. First grab the low hanging fruit. For some that is kashrus. For others it may be Shabbos. Still others need something easier, like just commiting to not answer the phone or watching the tv between midnight and 6 am. :-)

Good luck on your journey. You've found emes (truth to its deepest essense). Your life will change in ways you can't even imagine here at the beginning.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
When I began to become Torah Observant, my Rav gave me a great piece if advice. "baby steps"

Increasing your relationship with Hashem can only be done with mitzvos, and you should view your journey like this: first you turn towards Hashem. Check, looks like you've done that. Then you treat increasing your arsenal of mitzvos like a ladder. If you take too many rings if the ladder at once, you'll slip off and likely fall to the bottom. So take it one step at a time. First grab the low hanging fruit. For some that is kashrus. For others it may be Shabbos. Still others need something easier, like just commiting to not answer the phone or watching the tv between midnight and 6 am. :-)

Good luck on your journey. You've found emes (truth to its deepest essense). Your life will change in ways you can't even imagine here at the beginning.
What should a first Mitzvos be?...

Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM

864 posts, read 870,931 times
Quote:
What should a first Mitzvos be?...
First mitzvos would be to abstain from violating any of the Torah's commandments.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:30 AM

61 posts, read 68,604 times
Shabbat Shalom everyone!

Okay, so I just spoke with the Rabbi for about an hour and he showed me how to put on Tefillin, the blessings, and to read the Shema. I guess I should go out and buy a Tefillin now. I know of this local shop that sells them, but he recommended that he get it for me from a shop in NYC from a "trusted" supplier. Does it really matter where I get a Tefillin from? I bought the Artscroll Siddur from this local Jewish shop and I know they sell Tefillin there too.

I also asked him about some of the mishachists in Chabad and his answer was very confusing. I guess Chassidics believe that every generation has a leader for the Jewish people and for this generation it was the Rebbe. He said it was common to give these leaders the title of Messiah. I then asked him if there were two different types of Messiahs and I honestly couldn't understand his answer. I really don't think he worships the Rebbe, but he definitely venerates him as a special leader.

Finally, do any of you know of any week-long or 3-day retreats that teach Orthodox Judaism to newbies? It can be everything from prayers, rituals, and cooking. I'm specifically looking for dates around 3/13 - 3/23 around the NYC area.

Last edited by bobo1234; 02-14-2014 at 10:40 AM..

Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 AM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Keep in mind he stated "have an unbroken chain of religious tradition" and not a genetic chain. Also notice he left out Mizrahi.
Yeah my bad. The Romaniote, Bukharian, Yemenite, Baghdadi, Cochin, etc. Jewish traditions also never had the sudden hardening of hashkafot and chumrot that the Ashkenazi Orthodox community had after the haskalah. Unobservant people can still go to synagogue without feeling unwelcome if they're not wearing black and white, and people still eat in each other's homes without first judging each other on their skirt lengths and hair coverings.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Yeah my bad. The Romaniote, Bukharian, Yemenite, Baghdadi, Cochin, etc. Jewish traditions also never had the sudden hardening of hashkafot and chumrot that the Ashkenazi Orthodox community had after the haskalah. Unobservant people can still go to synagogue without feeling unwelcome if they're not wearing black and white, and people still eat in each other's homes without first judging each other on their skirt lengths and hair coverings.
The chumras bring us joy. That's why we do them.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Shabbat Shalom everyone!

Okay, so I just spoke with the Rabbi for about an hour and he showed me how to put on Tefillin, the blessings, and to read the Shema. I guess I should go out and buy a Tefillin now. I know of this local shop that sells them, but he recommended that he get it for me from a shop in NYC from a "trusted" supplier. Does it really matter where I get a Tefillin from? I bought the Artscroll Siddur from this local Jewish shop and I know they sell Tefillin there too.

I also asked him about some of the mishachists in Chabad and his answer was very confusing. I guess Chassidics believe that every generation has a leader for the Jewish people and for this generation it was the Rebbe. He said it was common to give these leaders the title of Messiah. I then asked him if there were two different types of Messiahs and I honestly couldn't understand his answer. I really don't think he worships the Rebbe, but he definitely venerates him as a special leader.

Finally, do any of you know of any week-long or 3-day retreats that teach Orthodox Judaism to newbies? It can be everything from prayers, rituals, and cooking. I'm specifically looking for dates around 3/13 - 3/23 around the NYC area.
Sounds like you're on your way to greatness. And yes, it does matter where you buy your tefillin. There are only a few places in America where I would buy tefillin to be absolutely sure they are kosher. If you want to PM me, I can offer you a couple good choices. A starter pair is going to cost a minimum of $500, just so you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism