U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should Women be allowed up to the bima and read from the torah?
Yes! It's the 21st century and women should have equal rights! 6 85.71%
No! Traditionally, it is supposed to be the man that does an aliyah and reads from the torah. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM
 
3,968 posts, read 3,350,858 times
Reputation: 1246

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Posts about the falafel place and its Kashrut certification are reasons why I will never be Ultra-Orthodox.

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Interesting view. Posts like that falafel shop make me proud to be a part of a people willing to go to great lengths to guard our precious Torah.

Have a great and kosher Shabbos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2015, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,380 posts, read 24,164,875 times
Reputation: 8875
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Can you specify what particular transgressions are committed when a Jew eats at such a restaurant after losing its kashrut status?

Is it the same as if the Jew ate a hamburger at McDonald's?
I can't specify which, but I can add to his comment by stating a few McDonalds locations in Jerusalem have no seating area (not in a food mall).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2015, 09:31 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,054,008 times
Reputation: 902
I think woman should have the rights to participate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 AM
 
3,968 posts, read 3,350,858 times
Reputation: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I think woman should have the rights to participate.
Is that just the way you feel, or are you saying halachicly its permissible? Two very different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Eretz Yisrael
21,380 posts, read 24,164,875 times
Reputation: 8875
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Is that just the way you feel, or are you saying halachicly its permissible? Two very different things.

We know your response from a year ago and this is hers. This thread has a simple premise and it's not up to you to change it or hijack it as you attempted to a year ago.


Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Why ask? Torah Observant say no. Liberal Jews say yes.

Next thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Sitting beside Walden Pond
4,609 posts, read 4,120,485 times
Reputation: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I think woman should have the rights to participate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Is that just the way you feel, or are you saying halachicly its permissible? Two very different things.
I think you have asked a very important question, Flipflop.

Is Veggienut thinking for herself and using her own sense of right and wrong to make her decision, or is she just doing what others tell her is proper?

This is an example of how people choose to go through life - trust their own 'moral compass' or let others guide the way. I'm sure she will choose the path that is right for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Lake Worth, FL
388 posts, read 317,018 times
Reputation: 264
That's an interesting point, Hiker.

I am of the belief that a woman should have the right to read from Torah and have the honor of aliyah.

I, personally, do not enjoy listening to a woman do either of these things when I am in shul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
939 posts, read 1,263,920 times
Reputation: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
I, personally, do not enjoy listening to a woman do either of these things when I am in shul.
May I ask why not? What if the woman is very talented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 4,054,008 times
Reputation: 902
I shore get a lot of attention every dang time I post~!



Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Is that just the way you feel, or are you saying halachicly its permissible? Two very different things.


To be kind to you Flip, it is the way I feel. If one wants to and their congregation allows it, so be it~!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
We know your response from a year ago and this is hers. This thread has a simple premise and it's not up to you to change it or hijack it as you attempted to a year ago.

Thank you



Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think you have asked a very important question, Flipflop.

Is Veggienut thinking for herself and using her own sense of right and wrong to make her decision, or is she just doing what others tell her is proper?

This is an example of how people choose to go through life - trust their own 'moral compass' or let others guide the way. I'm sure she will choose the path that is right for her.

I don't do what others tell me~! Never have and I don't follow anyone's rules~!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
That's an interesting point, Hiker.

I am of the belief that a woman should have the right to read from Torah and have the honor of aliyah.

I, personally, do not enjoy listening to a woman do either of these things when I am in shul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
May I ask why not? What if the woman is very talented?

And if you would go to a congregation that does allow it, you will see it is wonderful to hear a woman's view on what a man thinks is right~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Lake Worth, FL
388 posts, read 317,018 times
Reputation: 264
I do go to a congregation that allows it. I just prefer men to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top