U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM

864 posts, read 733,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Thanks for proving my point.
I don't know what point I proved, as I didn't bother reading the whole Megilla you posted. In any case, you're happy, so it's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:56 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I'm more annoyed by chabadniks displaying Menoras alongside crosses in public places.
What's a 'chabadnik'?

Old 02-23-2014, 09:18 PM

939 posts, read 1,262,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin
Well, Chanuka is a really important holiday for us, and all our holidays are religious, but placing a Menora next to a cross demeans the menorah and everything it represents.
If you ask the average non-Jew or non-observant Jew what the most important Jewish holidays were, they would name Passover, Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana and Chanukah. Most would not have heard of Shavuot and Sukkot. I think that's what Tikva's point was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
What's a 'chabadnik'?
A member of a certain Hasidic group, Chabad-Lubavitch, famous for promoting Judaism among secular and non-Orthodox Jews in an effort to bring about the messianic age.

Also:
megillah: literally: scroll. Several short books in the Tanakh are called Megillot (plural of megillah). It's also a Jewish English word used to mean "a long story".

Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM

388 posts, read 316,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I think that's what Tikva's point was.
Exactly. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 19,837 times
Default American jewish photographers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
In the other forum, we were discussing a possible new law in Arizona that would make it easier for a business to refuse service if performing that service would be against their religious principles. I made this post:

Do my questions make any sense to you or is there a reason why an Orthodox Jew would never work as a photographer?

What are your answers to my questions?
The best photographers of America are jews. Hellen levitt, Diane Arbus, Annie Leibovitz, Nan Goldin, Linda McCartney, Man Ray, Joe Rosenthal (of the image "Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima", taken during the Battle of Iwo Jima), Aaron Siskind, Weegee (Arthur Fellig), Richard Avedon, Gerry Winogrand, Robert Frank, Alfred Eisenstaedt, Mitch Epstein, and Steve Rosenfield. They are probably not orthodox jews, but non the less very jewish and photography is a jewish profession and business in the USA.

In New York city the largest and best photography stores are in the hands of orthodox jews.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

http://www.adorama.com/Photography

Adorama store New York

B&H store New York

Old 03-04-2014, 11:58 AM

12 posts, read 19,837 times
Judaism has no objection to photography or other forms of two-dimensional art, and depictions of humans can be seen in religious books such as the Passover Haggadah, as well as children's books about biblical and historical personages.

But Halakha ("Jewish law") as taught by the Shulkhan Arukh ("Code of Jewish Law") and still practiced and applied by Orthodox Judaism today, interprets the verses as prohibiting the creation of certain types of graven images of people, angels, or astronomical bodies, whether or not they are actually used as idols. The Shulkhan Arukh states: "It is forbidden to make complete solid or raised images of people or angels, or any images of heavenly bodies except for purposes of study". ("Heavenly bodies" are included here because the stars and planets were worshipped by some religions in human forms. Astronomical models for scientific purposes are permitted under the category of "study.")

In both Hasidic and Orthodox Judaism, taking photographs or filming are forbidden on the Sabbath and Jewish holy days, but this prohibition has nothing to do with idolatry. Rather, it is related to the prohibition against working or creating on these days.

Many traditional Jews still follow the prohibitions against entering places of idolatry, and will not attend functions held in buildings where there are religious statues. So probably Orthodox-Jewish photographers will not take images of Roman-Catholic, Hindu or Buddhist marriages. But they easily could go to a Calvinist (Presbyterian), Muslim or secular wedding without images or idolatry.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:42 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,345,152 times
No fear of idolatry from the Muslims. They pray to same (one) G-d that we Jews pray to. Lots of debate what god(s) the Chrstians are praying to.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:34 AM

36 posts, read 28,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
No fear of idolatry from the Muslims. They pray to same (one) G-d that we Jews pray to. to.
Moderator cut: No Non-English untranslated words Try screaming it to them the next time they are "fulfilling jihad" on Jews.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-08-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or