U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM

388 posts, read 316,157 times

Advertisements

The Bar Mitzvah boy thanks his Grandmother for their lovely Lobster feasts on the Bema.

I couldn't hold back my laughter.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 PM

Yeah, it was so very weird. My temple usually has bigger crowds on Friday night as they read Torah on Erev Shabbat. Torah is only read there on Saturday if there is a Bar/Bat Mitzvah.

I go to services alone, so when I kinda figured out who also goes every week to Saturday services, I figured I would start sitting and davening with them. So we all kinda went "Oy Gevalt" when we heard that.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:09 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,384,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Yeah, it was so very weird. My temple usually has bigger crowds on Friday night as they read Torah on Erev Shabbat. Torah is only read there on Saturday if there is a Bar/Bat Mitzvah.

I go to services alone, so when I kinda figured out who also goes every week to Saturday services, I figured I would start sitting and davening with them. So we all kinda went "Oy Gevalt" when we heard that.
I've heard similar a few times at my synagogue. It's the only one with a two-hour drive, so we get all types of Jews at service. We're "officially" Conservative, but have a large share of Reform. I sit with the older group, those who were raised Orthodox or Conservative back in the 40's and 50's; they're closer to my cup of tea than the guys my age who tend to run on the Reform side.

I hate to see kids and even adults pulling out their phones and texting or playing games while service is going on or talking about running over to the local burger joint for a bacon cheese burger after service; they can ignore Shabbat and kashrut if they want, but at least wait until you're out of the synagogue first.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM

637 posts, read 644,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
The Bar Mitzvah boy thanks his Grandmother for their lovely Lobster feasts on the Bema.

I couldn't hold back my laughter.
He is old enough to know better.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I hate to see kids and even adults pulling out their phones and texting or playing games while service is going on or talking ....

Quote:
Several synagogues have imposed a fine on members whose cellphones go off and disturbed prayer services.
Synagogues follow Vishnitz and impose fines on members with ringing cellphones

Old 02-23-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I sit with the older group, those who were raised Orthodox or Conservative back in the 40's and 50's; they're closer to my cup of tea than the guys my age who tend to run on the Reform side.
Same. I'm 25, and sit with a little group that the average age is 75. They were such nice people and very involved in actually davening during services rather than just sitting their on their phones like other people in the congregation.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:26 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,272,269 times
Sorry, but I would not allow a Non-Jew to post some of the Jokes I just read in this thread.

I can not allow anyone to poke fun at Judaism, that includes Jews.

Thread Closed

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism