U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 09:01 AM

864 posts, read 734,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
OK, I will try it myself. I don't think that God exists.
We already know that and that's why I always wonder why you're even in here. I think deep down you know He does exist.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 AM

939 posts, read 1,263,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I don't know why the two forums are so different. Maybe it is because Reform Jews have more respect for Orthodox Jews than Liberal Christians have for Fundamentalist Christians. I'm just guessing.
You are absolutely right on this point. Reform Jews view Orthodox Judaism as one of many valid although close-minded interpretations of Judaism. On the other hand, mainstream Orthodox Jews do not even view Conservative and Reform Judaism as any more legitimate than Islam and Jews for Jesus. This one-way respect allows Orthodox Jews to say "hey, even Reform Judaism thinks we're right but they continue to defy God and the Torah."

Old 02-24-2014, 10:15 AM

15,511 posts, read 13,308,309 times
Apparently the majority here are not offended if a non-Jew writes YWYH. Is that the correct view for most of you? I was under the impression it was offensive no matter who wrote it.

Please give Feedback on this.

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 02-24-2014, 10:19 AM

388 posts, read 316,866 times
Not offensive to me. My Rabbi writes it instead of writing the Hebrew Tetragrammaton when we are studying Torah (he will write HVHY).

Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,291,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
There's no prohibition on non Jews writing Hashem's name. No Ned to edit your post, Hiker. Nobody should have asked Whoppers to either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Not offensive to me. My Rabbi writes it instead of writing the Hebrew Tetragrammaton when we are studying Torah (he will write HVHY).

Thank you for this confirmation.

Woodrow, he prohibition is strictly against pronouncing the Name aloud. The Tetragrammaton (Greek for "Four Letters"), as it is commonly referred to, is found in every single book of the Hebrew Bible except for the Book of Esther. In a pre-Masoretic text, the script was strictly consonantal with the occasional matre lectionis standing for vowels, so you would find it like this: יהוה, transliterated into Roman characters as YHWH. The tradition arose, however, to begin substituting the pronounciation of the Hebrew word for "the LORD" ("My LORD", technically, as seen in the suffix: Adonay) whenever one was reading the Hebrew Bible and came across the Name. This became Oral Tradition, and was later adopted by the Masoretic Scribes who - to save the pronounciation of Torah from mistakes - began the practice of adding vowel points to the Consonantal Text, which was too holy to alter beyond that. To help readers remember to say "the LORD", they substituted the vowel points for "the LORD" into the Tetragrammaton. The Name then looked like this: יְהוָֽה.

Again - perfectly fine to read and write, just not to pronounce.

That is it in a nutshell.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:09 AM

21,378 posts, read 24,152,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Apparently the majority here are not offended if a non-Jew writes Y***. Is that the correct view for most of you? I was under the impression it was offensive no matter who wrote it.

Please give Feedback on this.
Looking at the history of this forum, it was only used by macnietspingal to start threads with and there were NO responses after it was stated. This poster tried three times with the same results. No other poster has ever posted this in this forum.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:15 AM

864 posts, read 734,487 times
Quote:
I don't recall claiming there were, specifically, three forms of Judaism. That there ARE and HAVE BEEN different forms of Judaism is a simple fact that can be verified by a simple internet search, a talk with a Rabbi, or some training in the history of Judaism.
Training in the history of Judaism will reveal that there's only ONE Judaism. Whatever people "claim" is moot.

Quote:
It is similar to Fundamentalist Christians or Extremist Muslims claiming that their way is the only way. Nothing new under the sun here, I'm afraid.
These words are, indeed, indicative of somebody who lacks basic historical knowledge in the history of religion--especially Judaism. The good thing is you can always learn.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM

21,378 posts, read 24,152,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
There's no prohibition on non Jews writing Hashem's name.
Really? Show us where its been used by any other poster outside of the two I've listed in the past FIVE years in the Judaism forum since you consider all to be non Jews if they are not Torah Observant.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,291,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Training in the history of Judaism will reveal that there's only ONE Judaism. Whatever people "claim" is moot.

These words are, indeed, indicative of somebody who lacks basic historical knowledge in the history of religion--especially Judaism. The good thing is you can always learn.

Maybe we can discuss it another time, perhaps? I understand what you're saying, but like many others I choose to disagree. Flipflop can attest to that from past experience.

This may surprise you, but I am not ignorant of the history of Judaism or religion (just see some of my posts in the main Religion Forum if you ever venture there). In fact, just last night I was finishing up a book concerning Rabbi Ibn Ezra's fight against the Karaite sect of Judaism - make of that what you will.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:33 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,349,384 times
Whoppers is only obligated in the 7 Noahide laws.

Even Jewish heretics are still obligated in the 613, which includes not posting on Shabbos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or