U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 AM

864 posts, read 733,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but like many others I choose to disagree.
I don't understand how one can disagree with historical events? Like how would you disagree that reform only came onto the scene approximately 200 years ago.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:44 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,287,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I don't understand how one can disagree with historical events?

I am curious as to that as well in your case .... but again, perhaps not the best place for this? This could get quite involved and drawn out and could really be the basis of an entire thread.

The Jews who made up the community at Qumran would disagree with you; as would the Jews who favored a solar - rather than lunar - calendar, as can be seen in various writings such as Jubilees (which is not, for that very reason, included in the Orthodox canon of Jewish Scripture) and elsewhere; pre-Rabbinic Judaism that was heavy on Greek Hellenism (again, not included in the Orthodox Canon, as are no Greek books); Pharisees who accepted Oral Torah, and the Sadducees who did not... and these are just a few examples of different Judaisms in the Ancient World.

As I said, whether you grant them legitimacy or not, these differing forms of Judaism all existed and contrasted with each other. That Rabbinic Judaism emerged as the Orthodox form of Judaism does not at all erase these others from historical memory.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I am curious as to that as well in your case .... but again, perhaps not the best place for this? This could get quite involved and drawn out and could really be the basis of an entire thread.

The Jews who made up the community at Qumran would disagree with you; as would the Jews who favored a solar - rather than lunar - calendar, as can be seen in various writings such as Jubilees (which is not, for that very reason, included in the Orthodox canon of Jewish Scripture) and elsewhere; pre-Rabbinic Judaism that was heavy on Greek Hellenism (again, not included in the Orthodox Canon, as are no Greek books); Pharisees who accepted Oral Torah, and the Sadducees who did not... and these are just a few examples of different Judaisms in the Ancient World.

As I said, whether you grant them legitimacy or not, these differing forms of Judaism all existed and contrasted with each other. That Rabbinic Judaism emerged as the Orthodox form of Judaism does not at all erase these others from historical memory.
No need to erase them. We simply need to educate out fellow Jews that all of these bastard forms of Judaism are sheker (falsehood). And Jews who follow them are acting in direct contrast to Hashem's wishes.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:01 PM

21,364 posts, read 24,104,739 times
Quote:
What does the practice of forum members have to do with what Flipflop said concerning non-Jews and the writing of the Name? The habits of a forum do not make a Jewish tradition.
Then what makes up a tradition?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:29 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,701,306 times
Quote:

You seem to be very well informed of ancient Jewish thoughts and practices. Are you a religious historian ?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:32 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,701,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Apparently the majority here are not offended if a non-Jew writes YWYH. Is that the correct view for most of you? I was under the impression it was offensive no matter who wrote it.

Please give Feedback on this.
Not offensive to me either.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:37 PM

3,488 posts, read 3,287,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
You seem to be very well informed of ancient Jewish thoughts and practices. Are you a religious historian ?
Thank you. I am of a sort - mainly via proxy through my main focus: Ancient Near Eastern languages and literature. Anything after that period I have some facility in, but wouldn't declare myself as skilled in as my main focus. For instance, I'm more comfortable with Biblical and Epigraphic Hebrew than with Mishnaic or Modern, though I can handle modern with some care if I need to read a monograph in Hebrew that isn't available in English (and some of the best linguistic work has been done by Jewish scholars, so no break there heh heh). .

Old 02-24-2014, 03:51 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,342,692 times
Hyperion, you should know that Whoppers is a brilliant guy. But his "work" is deeply antithetical to a Jew who has any interest whatsoever in coming closer to Hashem. In Whoppers' view, we Jews are just fancy Canaanites and have no special connection to the characters in our holy book.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:16 PM

864 posts, read 733,701 times
Quote:
And how, may I ask, have you come to this conclusion?

Old 02-24-2014, 06:13 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,432,822 times
My heart almost stopped when I saw the title of this thread. Glad you are okay, Woodrow!

I figure it can't be easy for you to keep peace in this forum, seriously. So if you want to close a thread or ask that something not be posted, I'll abide. I like the people that post here regularly, and we have some interesting discussions. It's no big deal to me what you decide either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or