U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,112,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniPearl View Post
Especially since I can't read Hebrew or Greek and I can't always rely on other translations.
Well, if you can't read either Greek or Hebrew and you can't rely on other translations, then I would say you are kinda out of luck. So what are you gonna do?

Here is my suggestion. Go sit under a tree and ask your god how you should live your life. I bet you will come up with the right answer for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,385,393 times
Quote:
In my original post, you will notice I said Hebrew and Greek. I do have questions in regards to the OT and NT. It just so happens the two translations that have been bugging me to death are the ones I listed from the NT.

I did NOT mean to step on any toes. On the Christian forum I get a million and one different answers to things and no one seems to have the right answer. Also, "Jewish" people have commented in the Christian forum as well. I meant no disrespect in my thread. From what I've observed, the best way to get a good and accurate translation is to ask someone of the Jewish faith (I don't know how to word that??). They have a better view AND many of them know how to read Hebrew or Greek. I guess my assumption in people being friendly was inaccurate? I would never question a "Jew" if they posted in the Christian forum. I am no respecter of persons. Everyone deserves the same amount of respect and kindness. I don't think I have said and/or have done anything to offend anyone. I would consider it a complement. How often do you have a "Christian" asking your advice about something??!
First off, I'd suggest knocking the chip off your shoulder. I asked a question, and all you needed to do was answer rather than launch into a tirade about people being unfriendly.

Second, I would assume that common sense should tell you that while we might be able to help you with the Hebrew, starting off with verses that many Christians post here to try prove to us that Jesus is somehow the same as God might not be best way to start out.

Third, what you term the OT was translated into Greek, then into Latin, and then into the vernacular, and it was changed each time. What our Torah says in Hebrew is often going to be quite different, and go against Christian theology.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:47 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,337,959 times
Quote:
YES!!! Thank you! We may believe differently and have different views, but I value the insight. Especially since I can't read Hebrew or Greek and I can't always rely on other translations.
Ok, then thanks for the compliment. Let me be clearer. If you have questions on Jewish topics or Jewish texts. By all means you are welcome here. But for nearly all Jews, to see the words of your Chrstian bible makes us throw up in our mouths a little bit. The only reason a Jew should ever read from a Chrstian bible is for anti-missionary purposes. That book is responsible for countless Jewish deaths. Can you see why the strong reaction?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:10 PM

439 posts, read 337,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Go sit under a tree and ask your god how you should live your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
First off, I'd suggest knocking the chip off your shoulder. I asked a question, and all you needed to do was answer rather than launch into a tirade about people being unfriendly.
I don't have a chip. I made one comment about people being friendly, in once sentence, I don't think that classifies as a "tirade".

Quote:
Second, I would assume that common sense should tell you that while we might be able to help you with the Hebrew, starting off with verses that many Christians post here to try prove to us that Jesus is somehow the same as God might not be best way to start out.
I didn't browse the threads. I don't know what other Christians say or do. I wouldn't judge one person according to another persons actions. Whatever someone else has done, that should not be reflected on to me. My curiosity in regards to knowing a correct translation is strictly for my benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Ok, then thanks for the compliment. Let me be clearer. If you have questions on Jewish topics or Jewish texts. By all means you are welcome here. But for nearly all Jews, to see the words of your Chrstian bible makes us throw up in our mouths a little bit. The only reason a Jew should ever read from a Chrstian bible is for anti-missionary purposes. That book is responsible for countless Jewish deaths. Can you see why the strong reaction?
I did not know that. I have not ventured outside my own personal beliefs. I hardly even know what other Christians believe. They all claim to believe something different than what is written in the Bible. All I have ever heard about Jews is: They read the OT not the NT. I have never been given a reason why. I assumed it had to do with the fact that Jews don't believe Jesus was the Messiah (God in flesh). Other than that, that is all I know. I don't ask because I know it could rub people the wrong way. So I just keep my nose out of it. And from what I'm reading, what I call the OT you call the Torah but yet it tells a different story?

If I had known the reaction I would have thought twice. I guess I was a little confused because I've seen many Jews comment on NT scriptures multiple times without "throwing up in their mouths". Lol. They talk as if they know as much about the NT as I do. So I guess you can see why I didn't draw up the same conclusion as you did?? But since you mentioned it... May I ask why you said "that book is responsible for countless Jewish deaths"? I've never heard this before. Now I'm curious.

EDITED: Let me add this... I think I may know what you're referring to, but I'd like to get your opinion on it.

Last edited by JuniPearl; 02-25-2014 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,385,393 times
Quote:
I don't have a chip. I made one comment about people being friendly, in once sentence, I don't think that classifies as a "tirade".
The last half of your post was about it. But that's OK, I hope you feel better now.

Quote:
I didn't browse the threads. I don't know what other Christians say or do. I wouldn't judge one person according to another persons actions. Whatever someone else has done, that should not be reflected on to me. My curiosity in regards to knowing a correct translation is strictly for my benefit.
Like I said, common sense should have been enough.

If you think that a constant barrage of proselytizing might not leave people a bit wary of Christians coming in the name of "understanding", then there isn't much else to say about it.

Some Jews are very knowledge of the both the Christian Bible and Koine Greek, and like to discuss it. Some simply like to learn about languages, some learn it to combat missionaries, and some of us grew up with it. But this sub forum has seen a lot of proselytizing and Christians harboring ill will, so it is not something we tend to discuss in this section.

If learning really is your goal, then you would probably be better served by asking your questions in the general religions forum, or splitting your questions between the Christianity and Judaism forums based on where they originate from.

For the most part, we don't mind answering questions about our religion, our history, our language, or our Scripture.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,175,765 times
Quote:
In my original post, you will notice I said Hebrew and Greek. I do have questions in regards to the OT and NT. It just so happens the two translations that have been bugging me to death are the ones I listed from the NT.

I did NOT mean to step on any toes. On the Christian forum I get a million and one different answers to things and no one seems to have the right answer. Also, "Jewish" people have commented in the Christian forum as well. I meant no disrespect in my thread. From what I've observed, the best way to get a good and accurate translation is to ask someone of the Jewish faith (I don't know how to word that??). They have a better view AND many of them know how to read Hebrew or Greek. I guess my assumption in people being friendly was inaccurate? I would never question a "Jew" if they posted in the Christian forum. I am no respecter of persons. Everyone deserves the same amount of respect and kindness. I don't think I have said and/or have done anything to offend anyone. I would consider it a complement. How often do you have a "Christian" asking your advice about something???

This is rather interesting. So, which verse are you referring to when you said a woman was translated into a man?

Thanks for your help. I'll go take a look at that link!

RUTH 3:15 (1611 KING JAMES BIBLE) Also he said, Bring the vaile that thou hast vpon thee, and holde it. ...

Several Bibles state he went into the city whereas several Bibles say she went into the city. Of course that referance for those Bibles state that those changes appear to be a printing error in that passage. But I do seem to have vague memories of similar things happening in other passages where the genders were swapped. But this was over a decade ago so I cannot recall them offhand. But one example should show it likely happened more then once do you not agree? So either it's a misprinting or deliberate change of gender due to politics or miss-translation in the cases it occurs.

Now the first editions of the KJV had the Apocrypha in them. Years later Protestant Bibles had them taken out. If you are confused Protestant Bibles have less books in them then Catholic Bibles. Eastern Orthodox Bibles have the most books. Then you have the lost books of the Bible quite a few are actually referenced by the Bible and are meant to be in there but aren't such as the books that would detail what Moses and the Hebrews were doing in the desert for 40 years.

Then you have the other Gospels such as the Gospel of Eve, the First and Second Books of Adam, the Gospel of the Egyptians, The Book of Enoch, The Gospel of Judas which reveals he was acting under orders of Jesus and didn't betray him the other disciples did.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
But one example should show it likely happened more then once do you not agree? So either it's a misprinting or deliberate change of gender due to politics or miss-translation in the cases it occurs.

Then you have the other Gospels such as the Gospel of Eve, the First and Second Books of Adam, the Gospel of the Egyptians, The Book of Enoch, The Gospel of Judas which reveals he was acting under orders of Jesus and didn't betray him the other disciples did.
This was the first time I've heard of gender swapping.

As far as the other books, I knew they existed but I've never read any of them.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
May I ask why you said "that book is responsible for countless Jewish deaths"? I've never heard this before. Now I'm curious.
For starters, try reading about the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition in the 1500's.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
For starters, try reading about the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition in the 1500's.
I know about the persecution back in those days. I don't like reading about it, it's awful. I don't have the stomach for it. I'm just curious about the view of the NT killing the Jews. I want to know if Jews believe the same way I do. I just saw another thread about 5 minutes ago that gave insight about a mass killing of women and children. They were speaking in past tense. Like it's already happened. Everyone has their own views and opinions about it, but this thread was not in this forum so I don't know if the OP was Jewish or not.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I want to know if Jews believe the same way I do.
Here is what I suggest:

1) Go to the "Ask a Jew" thread.

2) Ask a very simple and straightforward question in ONE VERY SIMPLE sentence.

3) After you get a response you can understand, then write another very simple question.

Eventually, you will get some understanding of what Jews believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism