U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM

947 posts, read 1,180,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniPearl View Post
This was the first time I've heard of gender swapping.

As far as the other books, I knew they existed but I've never read any of them.
But as you can see from the link it did happen. Whether deliberate or by accident it happened. More then one version of the Bible that occurred in and over the course of centuries it keep happening.

Makes you think you shouldn't take the Bible literally should you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 02:33 PM

388 posts, read 317,353 times
Please stop calling it the Old Testament (OT), as it implies that the original Testament from HaShem has been replaced with something else.

The Jewish bible is called the Tanakh (Torah, Nevi'im, and Ketuvim).

Old 02-25-2014, 04:34 PM

3,968 posts, read 3,353,743 times
JuniPearl, I'm not so sure eggshells are needed. Just some awareness of who you're talking to. Chrstianity is very non relevant to us Jews, and when you come into our thread with Chrstian terms, books, viewpoints, etc. well, you lost us before you started.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,395,028 times
That, and always keep in mind that we're an argumentative bunch.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM

439 posts, read 338,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
That, and always keep in mind that we're an argumentative bunch.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh... Have you been to the Christian forum lately?? Now that is an argumentative bunch! LOL

Old 02-25-2014, 05:15 PM

939 posts, read 1,264,949 times
A popular Jewish translation of the Bible is the Jewish Publication Society (JPS) Translation of 1985. It was compiled by biblical scholars from different Jewish denominations.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews and the centrist Orthodox Jews who follow them use the Artscroll translation of the Tanakh.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:29 PM

864 posts, read 735,340 times
An accurate translation:
The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Bear in mind that no translation, even the best, can capture the nuance of the original next.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,395,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
A popular Jewish translation of the Bible is the Jewish Publication Society (JPS) Translation of 1985. It was compiled by biblical scholars from different Jewish denominations.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews and the centrist Orthodox Jews who follow them use the Artscroll translation of the Tanakh.
Variety can be a good thing. I have the Jewish Study Bible, the Artscoll Stone Edition Tanakh, and Fox's The Five Books of Moses.

I also use Chabad's resources (that iwish linked to) frequently.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:32 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,437,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
An accurate translation:
The Complete Tanach with Rashi's Commentary - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Bear in mind that no translation, even the best, can capture the nuance of the original next.
This is so helpful - thanks! I had not noticed the commentary before.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,294,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Variety can be a good thing. I have the Jewish Study Bible, the Artscoll Stone Edition Tanakh, and Fox's The Five Books of Moses.

I also use Chabad's resources (that iwish linked to) frequently.

Very good recommendations! Fox's translation is probably the best English translation that gets the closest to approximating Hebrew word order and style. He did a phenomenal job. I managed to get a signed copy of the paperback, though I wish it had been on of the various hardback editions. The Jewish Study Bible is also very good, not only for the translation, but for the fantastic essays included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism