U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:40 PM

864 posts, read 737,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If you don't already know the answer to this, there is nothing I can add
I know the answer. They're cute and innocent, as far as we're concerned. So does that make it less okay to murder them than an old person? Are we being emotional or rational?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:13 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,138,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I know the answer. They're cute and innocent, as far as we're concerned. So does that make it less okay to murder them than an old person? Are we being emotional or rational?
See my post #8.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 PM

3,989 posts, read 3,372,504 times
Hiker is unable to use lenses to see what happened 3300 years ago, using the morality of those times. He uses modern day lenses to understand the event.

And Hiker, you're welcome for bringing up your favorite subject - how immoral we Jews are for refusing to throw Hashem and our ancestors under the bus for killing the Midianites.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And Hiker, you're welcome for bringing up your favorite subject - how immoral we Jews are for refusing to throw Hashem and our ancestors under the bus for killing the Midianites.
I'm glad you appreciate my efforts.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Hiker is unable to use lenses to see what happened 3300 years ago, using the morality of those times. He uses modern day lenses to understand the event.
Morality is unchanged. What was wrong then is wrong today and vice versa. I think hiker can't wrap his head around the fact that G-d actually is eternal and all-knowing, and that He really did communicate with us through Moses 3300 years ago, and that the whole world belongs to Him and He had good reason for instructing us to kill young Midianites (as if it's worse than killing old Midianites).

hiker, do you think the bombing of Dresden was justified? How about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Many babies and innocents died there, too, you know.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
hiker, do you think the bombing of Dresden was justified? How about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
Yes. both were justified, as well as the intense bombing of Tokyo. WW II was still going on when those bombings took place.

If you read Numbers 31, you will see the Israelites killed the male children and the non-virgin females AFTER they had surrendered.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM

Numbers - Chapter 31 (Parshah Matot) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Read the Rashi of verses 15 and 16

Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Moses said to them, "Did you allow all the females to live?

They were the same ones who were involved with the children of Israel on Balaam's advice to betray the Lord over the incident of Peor, resulting in a plague among the congregation of the Lord

So now kill every male child, and every woman who can lie intimately with a man you shall kill.

And all the young girls who have no experience of intimate relations with a man, you may keep alive for yourselves.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 PM

They were the same ones who were involved with the children of Israel on Balaam's advice to betray the Lord over the incident of Peor, resulting in a plague among the congregation of the Lord

Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
resulting in a plague among the congregation of the Lord
I guess this means the Midianites spread disease to the Israelites.

This reminds me of the old saying: If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.

Of course, it is always easier to blame someone else for our problems. I heard the English called venereal disease the "French disease" and the French called it the "English disease".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism