U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 10:29 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times

Advertisements

Do you think you might be a reincarnated Midianite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 04:04 AM

21,372 posts, read 24,132,268 times
FWIW:

Midianite (ancient people) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 AM

21,372 posts, read 24,132,268 times
Just an fyi, it's a trick question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And here is a link to read before you answer his question:

Reincarnation and Jewish Tradition

Old 02-27-2014, 10:26 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,116,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Since the Midianites lived about 3300 years ago, there is a good chance that we all have a Midianite as one of our ancestors.

I do not believe in reincarnation as most people define it, but scientific experiments have shown we can inherit traits and thoughts that our parents had acquired.

One of the Midianites who survived being killed by the Israelites (as described in Numbers 31) may have developed a dislike of Jews and passed that trait along to many of his descendants, even you.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:49 AM

864 posts, read 734,146 times
Strange question.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:05 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Strange question.
You don't know Hiker's history. His post above gives a clue.

Hiker: please correct me if I misrepresent your feelings. He feels that the episode in the bible where the Jews kill all the immoral Midianites after the "affair" of Zimri and Cosbi, is deplorable. And furthermore, any Jew who does not deplore those killings as immoral are in fact immoral themselves.

So he has effectively switched the immoral group in his mind and has turned Moses into the bad guy.

hiker has lots of interesting insights, but don't mistake him for a friend if the Jews.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Hiker: please correct me if I misrepresent your feelings. He feels that the episode in the bible where the Jews kill all the immoral Midianites after the "affair" of Zimri and Cosbi, is deplorable. And furthermore, any Jew who does not deplore those killings as immoral are in fact immoral themselves.
I'm surprised hiker doesn't ask why killing Zimri and Cosbi is deplorable. After all, they were two consenting adults. Why jump to the immoral Midianites before dealing with the "injustice" of killing Zimri and Cosbi?

Quote:
hiker has lots of interesting insights, but don't mistake him for a friend if the Jews.
I find hiker intriguing, that's all. He claims to be an atheist yet spends time in here, and I enjoy his questions.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM

I don't know anything about Zimri or Cosbi and do not consider the Midianite male babies to be immoral, so I will state my opinion like this:

I feel the episode in the bible (Numbers 31) where the Jews kill all the Midianites is deplorable. And furthermore, anyone who does not deplore those killings as immoral are in fact immoral themselves.

For further discussion about this topic, see this thread:

Would you kill 1000 helpless babies if your god told you to do it?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:05 PM

What's so touching about the babies? If G-d commanded us to do so, there's something about those babies He knows we don't know. Do you even understand the concept that WE believe that G-d is all-knowing and eternal?

According to your reasoning, we should've been the most barbaric people to roam the planet, yet we aren't. That should tell you something.

Look what happened as a result of Saul's misplaced human judgement when he didn't kill Agog as commanded.

Would you have wanted Usama Bin Laden as a baby had you known what he'd grow up to be?

As an aside, society is so concerned about killing innocent babies. Killing ANYBODY is wrong when it's unwarranted. It doesn't matter if it's an Alzheimer's patient wearing diapers or a cute baby. Suppose Hitler had killed only adults, had he been less of a monster? Babies just tend to pull at our heartstrings a little bit stronger.

But this belongs in the other thread, doesn't it?

Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM

Iwish, that was a lot of questions?

Quote:
What's so touching about the babies?
If you don't already know the answer to this, there is nothing I can add

Quote:
Do you even understand the concept that WE believe that G-d is all-knowing and eternal?
No. I accept it, but I do not understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism