U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 PM

61 posts, read 56,663 times

Advertisements

"Jewish Women...Dirrty?" - Jew in the City, Episode 5 - YouTube

Please explain if you answer yes or no.

oh yeah...and I'm talking about the woman in the pink shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM

864 posts, read 733,356 times
First, tell us what you think and why?

Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 PM

388 posts, read 316,213 times
Thats not really Bobos style.

Once again, if you could please give your own opinion on the subject you are posting about, it would really help to facilitate a discussion.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 AM

12 posts, read 19,815 times
Tzniut

The term tzniut (Hebrew: צניעות, tzniut, Sephardi pronunciation, tzeniut(h); Ashkenazi pronunciation, tznius, "modesty", or "privacy") is used within Judaism and has its greatest influence as a concept within Orthodox Judaism and sometimes within Conservative Judaism. It is used to describe both the character trait of modesty and humility, as well as a group of Jewish laws pertaining to conduct in general and especially between the sexes. The term is frequently used with regard to the rules of dress for women.

The principal guiding point of tzniut in regard to dress is that a Jew should not dress in a way that attracts attention. This does not mean dressing poorly, but that neither men nor women should dress in a way that overly emphasizes their physical appearance or attracts undue attention.
Orthodox Judaism requires both men and women to substantially cover their bodies. This involves covering the elbows and knees.
In Haredi communities, men generally wear long trousers and often long-sleeve shirts, and women wear blouses with sleeves below the elbow and skirts that cover the knees. Some women try not to follow fashion, while others wear fashionable but modest clothing.
In Modern Orthodox practice for women it is generally accepted for sleeves to cover the elbows and shirts to cover the collarbone, skirts to cover the knees with or without tights, and trousers not to be worn in the presence of men[citation needed]. Some Modern Orthodox women will wear sleeves up to a fist's length (tefach) above their elbows or even short sleeves, and some do not cover their collarbones.
Haredi women avoid skirts with slits, preferring instead kick-pleats. They also avoid overly eye-catching colors, especially bright red. Some insist on closed-toe shoes and always wear stockings, the thickness of which varies by community. In some Haredi communities women wear loose vests over shirts. Men must wear shirts with sleeves. Some Modern Orthodox men will wear shorts, but Haredi men will not, and many will not wear short sleeves at all. Sandals without socks, while generally not worn in a synagogue, are usually accepted in Modern Orthodox and Religious Zionist Communities in Israel for daily dress. Haredi Ashkenazi practice discourages sandals without socks both in and out of the synagogue. Haredi Sefardic communities tend to accept sandals at least outside of synagogue and sometimes in synagogue as well. Dress in a synagogue and, according to many, in public should be comparable to that worn by the community when meeting royalty or government.
Conservative Judaism formally requires modest dress, although this requirement is often not observed on a day-to-day basis, but is somewhat more observed when attending synagogue. While day-to-day dress often simply reflects the general society, many Conservative synagogues expect somewhat more modest dress (although not necessarily as stringent as in Orthodox Judaism) for synagogue attendance, and may have specific dress requirements to receive synagogue honors (such as being called for a Torah reading). Reform Judaism has no religious dress requirements.
Style of dress involves cultural considerations distinct from religious requirements. There are many Conservative and Reform synagogues in which suits and ties are socially expected, while in many Orthodox synagogues (especially in Israel) dress, while meeting religious modesty requirements, is quite casual. Many Haredi and Hassidic communities have special customs and styles of dress which serve to identify members of their communities but regard these special dress features as customs of their communities rather than as general religious requirements expected of all observant Jews.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 AM

I think she is dressed modestly. She wears a wig and has covered her arms and chest properly.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 AM

392 posts, read 290,588 times
DOES having breasts constitute immodesty...

Old 03-04-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Bachlow View Post
DOES having breasts constitute immodesty...
No, but showing them is immodest for orthodox jews, and orthodox christians and muslims. I am not an orthodox jew. I like the breast God gave to women. The female form is wonderful and they don't have to hide that for me. I am a secular and liberal man.

The way orthodox jewish women, ultra-conservative christian women and Muslim women dress is not my taste. But I like pluriformity and respect their choice. Like I respect Roman-Catholic nuns too.

There are very few orthodox jews in my country. (They are concentrated in Amsterdam or just over the border in the Flanders part of Belgium in Antwerp) Some ultra-conservative Protestant christian women in the Netherlands dress like ultra-orthodox women. Long clothes that cover their arms, legs and chest and caps that cover their hair. In staid of the orthodox jewish women you see Muslim women on the street here.

Conservative Muslim dress is comparable to Orthodox-jewish women, but instaid of wigs the Muslim women wear headgear's or niqab's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or