U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:52 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,951 times

Advertisements

Would a Christian prayer be welcome at a Jewish funeral?

Years ago, I recall an important person (maybe John Kennedy) lying in state in the U.S. Capitol and people were lined up to walk by his coffin. There were marshals there to keep the crowd moving smoothly. One person stopped and said a Jewish prayer over his body. Even though Kennedy was Catholic, no one was offended and they let the man finish his prayer.

Would a Catholic be equally well received at a Jewish funeral if he stood over the casket, made the sign of a cross, and said a short prayer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM

864 posts, read 733,864 times
Quote:
No way. Christianity is idolatry and any display of idol worship would make any Jew jump out of his grave. Did you really not know the answer to this question?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:23 AM

388 posts, read 316,552 times
What does that have to do with my question?

If the atheist has questions, he should start his own thread.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:27 AM

21,369 posts, read 24,115,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Would a Catholic be equally well received at a Jewish funeral if he stood over the casket, made the sign of a cross, and said a short prayer?
It depends on how religious the Jews were. The sign of the cross is a definite no. Saying a silent prayer is not usually an issue at a extremely secular funeral. But keep in mind for some reason people become more sensitive to their religion during a few certain occasions (birth, death, marriage, bar/bat mitzvah, Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Passover to name a few).

Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
What does that have to do with my question?

If the atheist has questions, he should start his own thread.
Once the funeral has passed, what direction would you like for this thread to go into?

Keep in mind that per your original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
... Anything I should know ...
Is going to garnish questions in relation to Jewish funerals.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:32 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,114,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Did you really not know the answer to this question?
Nope.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,344,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It depends on how religious the Jews were. The sign of the cross is a definite no. Saying a silent prayer is not usually an issue at a extremely secular funeral. But keep in mind for some reason people become more sensitive to their religion during a few certain occasions (birth, death, marriage, bar/bat mitzvah, Rosh Hashana, Yom Kippur, Passover to name a few).
That's all very true.

My brother is as secular as it comes. He married a non Jew, goes to church (but swears he does not believe in Yushke). He has an Xmas tree. But when my father was dying last year, he insisted we have Shabbos dinner by my father's bedside, even though my father was comatose.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM

864 posts, read 733,864 times
Quote:
I can't see how there would even be an opportunity for one. Even attendees at the funeral don't say prayers. They respectfully listen to eulogies and ask forgiveness from the deceased silently. Only close family goes out to the cemetery for burial and to say Kaddish.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:25 PM

388 posts, read 316,552 times
Everyone from the service went to the Mausoleum to participate in Kaddish and then we all went back to the house for Shiva.

Very sad day.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
I can't see how there would even be an opportunity for one. Even attendees at the funeral don't say prayers. They respectfully listen to eulogies and ask forgiveness from the deceased silently. Only close family goes out to the cemetery for burial and to say Kaddish.
I'll just post a link:

Quote:
After the burial, upon leaving the grave, it is Traditional for those in attendance who are not mourners to form a Shura, a double line facing each other, forming a pathway through which the mourners pass to receive words of comfort. Since Tradition teaches us that we don't offer words of consolation to mourners until after the burial, this provides the first opportunity to express the Traditional words of comfort, "May you be comforted among all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem." Any kind words of sympathy may be said to the mourners as they pass through the double line. There is an expression in Hebrew that translates, "Words from the heart go directly to the heart" and any kind expression that is honest and meaningful is, more than likely, appropriate at this time.

Jewish Funeral / Burial Customs and Traditions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or