U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 AM

939 posts, read 1,269,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Thank G-d we Jews are making the attempt to continue to connect to our past.
You talk as though this is a Torah commandment. The fact that Jews stopped speaking Aramaic and started to speak a Germanic language (Yiddish) and Romance language (Ladino) is evidence that we were once more open to adopting the ways of non-Jews. So much for Orthodox Judaism being a continuous chain since Mount Sinai. At some point in time, Jews abandoned the language of their ancestors and started using Old High German and later added Hebrew words, and as they migrated east, Slavic words. This language became Yiddish. This most likely was because they had to communicate with the rest of the world around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:11 AM

3,831 posts, read 3,729,037 times
That is one of the main reasons I think judaism was able to survive for so many years and in horrible conditions. It was able to change and adapt in order to survive in hostile environments. One could even use that as an example of natural selection

While other movements have continued this tradition, sadly ultra orthodoxy has decided that the 19th century was the pinnacle of Judaism and that's what should still be observed.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:06 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,369,600 times
Jews adapting in order to survive- yes, a strength for us.

Jews abandoning the Torah and mitzvos I n the name of being able to adapt to survive - tragic consequences (just reference the Pew report which says 70% of all Jews who got married in the last decade were to non Jews).

Old 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM

Then when Jews abandoned Aramaic to speak a Germanic language, is it considered adapting to survive or abandoning the Torah and mitzvot?

Old 03-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Then when Jews abandoned Aramaic to speak a Germanic language, is it considered adapting to survive or abandoning the Torah and mitzvot?
The Jews did not begin abandoning Torah and Mitzvos until the Reform movement began to take hold in the 1800s. Until then, we were one people dedicated to G-d and Mitzvos. Now our "temples" are full of non Jews, atheists and people who hate the Torah. Some very good people too, in all fairness.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:19 PM

You're not answering the question.

Is it a mitzvah to speak Yiddish and keep it alive?

Is it a mitzvah to speak Hebrew and keep it alive?

Also, related to what you just said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop
Now our "temples" are full of non Jews, atheists and people who hate the Torah. Some very good people too, in all fairness.
Are you saying that some atheists and people who hate the Torah are good people? Also thanks for using the word "our", shows that you still consider us as part of Am Yisrael.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 AM

Is it a mitzva to keep Hebrew and Yiddish alive? I'm not sure. But I know it's imperative we do so. Both languages connect various Jews to their past, as does Ladino and any others I'm missing here. For me it's Yiddish that makes me feel like a connected Jew. If it's Modern Hebrew for you, then just as good. Of course it's lashen hakodesh that truly connects all us Yidden, in this case not just to our past, but directly to Hashem.

And in all transparency, it's not like I speak Yiddish myself. I'm just pleased my kids are learning the language. In my case, I'm putting all my efforts into learning Aramaic, the language of the Gammara. By the way, I started meseches Yoma last week. G-d willing I'll be making a siyum on that meseches in the coming months.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

Are you saying that some atheists and people who hate the Torah are good people? Also thanks for using the word "our", shows that you still consider us as part of Am Yisrael.
Oh, and that is not what I was saying. I was saying that in most Reform shuls you'll find some very choshuv, albeit non observant, Yidden.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:56 AM

21,411 posts, read 24,291,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I was saying that in most Reform shuls you'll find some very choshuv, albeit non observant, Yidden.
What does the importance of the person need to do with it?

B"H the things you state.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What does the importance of the person need to do with it?

B"H the things you state.
Have to do with what? I'm not following your concern. I was answering Usario. I don't think that post had anything to do with your opinions on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or