U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 AM

13,093 posts, read 13,702,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
1) The issurim (prohibitions) in regards to relations between Jews and non-jews are only marriage, yayin nesech- the prohbition of drinking wine that is served or come in contact with a non-jews and also [i]Bishul Akum - the cooking of non jews. Not social relations in general
There are other ways we are not meant to assimilate, not just marriage, food or wine, and it is with the intent to "build a fence around the Torah" so that we do not lose the Torah. For instance when we guard what we eat, what we say, what we hear, what we look at, how we dress, how we structure our time, our day, our priorities... all those are all ways that we are meant to do things differently. So that we keep Torah and keep being Jews. It is meant to ensure our closeness to Hashem and assure our survival as Jews. Having lived most of my life in the secular world, I find this very welcome, sensible, and refreshing. It is keeping ourselves distinct and apart in those ways, even when we physically work or live or mix with non-Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 AM

3,964 posts, read 3,347,521 times
Chazal tells us that the only reason we merited to be lifted out of Mitzrayim (ancient Egypt) was due to the Jews giving their children Hebrew names. Even though the Jews had already sunk to the lowest levels of spirituality, they refused to assimilate by giving their children Jewish names.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 AM

21,376 posts, read 24,142,259 times
FWIW: Chazal is a general term that refers to all Jewish sages of the Mishna, Tosefta and Talmud eras.

As to Mitzrayim, let's keep on topic and not discuss Parashat Bo. And since you brought up Chazal, the same group also states we haven't spiritually left Mitzrayim. When we get to the week of January 16th 2016, we can discuss it then.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:28 PM

24 posts, read 18,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Only in areas with Ultra Orthodox Jews. But now it's changed to Yeshivish (Yiddish slang). So for those of us who are fluent in Yiddish, Yeshivish requires a little more listening to comprehend it.
And they are living together in communities, i guess? Do their schools, public offices etc use yiddish as public language or is it more a private thing inside the family to teach yiddish to their sons and daughters?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa-bi View Post
And they are living together in communities, i guess? Do their schools, public offices etc use yiddish as public language or is it more a private thing inside the family to teach yiddish to their sons and daughters?
Look up Kiryas Joel.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:00 PM

24 posts, read 18,985 times
thanks a lot :-) i am surprised it has a population over 20.000

Old 08-10-2015, 05:02 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,347,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa-bi View Post
thanks a lot :-) i am surprised it has a population over 20.000
I was in Kiryas Yoel a few weeks ago. Beautiful town. Not much English spoken there for sure.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,050,445 times
Quote:
Yes. To separate themselves from others.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...y/yiddish.html

I thought it was so the young children could not understand what the parents are speaking~?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I thought it was so the young children could not understand what the parents are speaking~?
In Secular post WW2 homes mostly. In religious UO homes in the US, English was not the first language learned.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:55 PM

2,391 posts, read 4,050,445 times
Quote:
In Secular post WW2 homes mostly. In religious UO homes in the US, English was not the first language learned.

Maybe so, but I don't fully agree. When you have parents who speak multiple languages and your kid(s) was born in the USA they need to learn English since that is what they teach in the public schools. Also, some parents don't want the kid knowing their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or