Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:09 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What does the importance of the person need to do with it?

B"H the things you state.
What's a chosuv. And what's B''H mean? Baruch adonai?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Have to do with what? I'm not following your concern. I was answering Usario. I don't think that post had anything to do with your opinions on things.
You do not have the right to tell me what I can or cannot make a statement about!!!

BTW if you are going to use a word choshuv, either use it correctly in Hebew as chasuv or correctly in Yiddish as choshev and not make up your own version of it. It would probably be better if you used ENGLISH as the word directly translates to either important or high status. This may be a Yiddish related thread, but this forum is NOT Yiddishism.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
And what's B''H mean? Baruch adonai?
Yes. Except adonai is used for formal use (like in prayer). hashem is for informal use. Basically means "for g_ds sake", but I didn' feel like typing "oy miyn got" which is Yiddish.

As a side note most religious people write it in the top right corner if the they are writing a document. It's a bit difficult to do with a computer screen so I have a p-touched one up there.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 PM

12 posts, read 14,076 times
I think the reason many ashkenazi Jews spoke Yiddish is because Hebrew was considered lashon Hera and to make sure hebrew was not profained and used for everyday conversation.

My dads family was from Romania but I think a mixture of sephardi and ashkenazi. Supposedly none spoke Yiddish but spoke Romanian and later learned Yiddish in the us to read newspapers, my dad and grandpa didn't speak Yiddish but one time I went to my uncles house I think for Purim and one of the relatives on my aunts (no relation to me) complained that I didn't speak Yiddish and only English, I felt irritated as I don't consider Yiddish our language but Hebrew.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohen View Post
I think the reason many ashkenazi Jews spoke Yiddish is because Hebrew was considered lashon Hera and to make sure hebrew was not profained and used for everyday conversation.
This link may explain Hebrew:

Revival of the Hebrew language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX2rm-jLLFY

Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 AM

24 posts, read 25,155 times
Is yiddish still a living language today in some parts of the US or Europe? I mean not just taught by older generations to their kids but used as an everyday language in a community with chatting, writing, newspapers etc.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa-bi View Post
Is yiddish still a living language today in some parts of the US or Europe? I mean not just taught by older generations to their kids but used as an everyday language in a community with chatting, writing, newspapers etc.
Only in areas with Ultra Orthodox Jews. But now it's changed to Yeshivish (Yiddish slang). So for those of us who are fluent in Yiddish, Yeshivish requires a little more listening to comprehend it.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 AM

145 posts, read 98,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Exactly what Hashem and Chazal asks of us Jews. We are not meant to assimilate with the goyim. There's lots of room in the tent with those who guard the Torah. Come join us.
1) The issurim (prohibitions) in regards to relations between Jews and non-jews are only marriage, yayin nesech- the prohbition of drinking wine that is served or come in contact with a non-jews and also [i]Bishul Akum - the cooking of non jews. Not social relations in general
2) Why are you conversing in English- which was created by non-jews if that is the case?

Old 08-09-2015, 07:18 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
There are other ways we are not meant to assimilate, not just marriage, and it is with the intent to "build a fence around the Torah" so that we do not lose the Torah. For instance when we guard what we eat, what we say, what we hear, what we look at, how we dress, how we structure our time, our day, our priorities... all those are all ways that we are meant to do things differently. So that we keep Torah and keep being Jews. It is meant to ensure our closeness to Hashem and assure our survival as Jews. Having lived most of my life in the secular world, I find this very welcome, sensible, and refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism