Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,149 times

Advertisements

I am Jewish. I can't change that. My ancestors were in Egypt and persued by the same opressors as all of you throughout history. However I can never be one of you. Not my choice but yours. From a very early age I was different. I was at a Jewish school where I was bullied and teased relentlessly. I was sent to another school where I managed to make friends with another boy - an Italian, himself an outcast because he was only one of 3 non jews in the class. As a teenager I joined Jewish youth movements which is where things got really bad. The entire group turned on me. Everyone. The leaders, fellow members of the group, younger kids even. The hmiliation of being bullied and teased by someone 2 years younger was just too much and I hit one of them. Then I was the bully! Had one person stuck up for me I would be different but not one did. Not one!

I eventually left school and went to university where I made Muslim friends. I am now converting to Islam. The thing I can't understand is the reaction this has got. How can a community who completely shunned me, to the point of needing serious psychiatric care, think it such an outrage when I leave? How can they who pushed me out in the most brutal way accuse me of being the traitor? Most importantly how can they expect me to fight for Israel, putting my life on the line and killing the only people who ever showed me any kindness in the interests of protecting them?

I have no intention to fight for either side but push come to shove and if there is a holy war think about how you might have treated a Jew different to you, how you would have felt if everyone else had given just as much abuse to the same person which side they might fight on. Perhaps also think about someone who might be more inclined to fight on the other side. Think about their access to the community and how much damage they could do as a spy or suicide bomber. Think about all of this and then think about the child you bullied. When he / she reacts will it be you or them who has to answer for their sins in the end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:06 PM

388 posts, read 384,932 times
...why were you bullied all throughout your youth?

You are a traitor to Hashem if you convert to another religion, know that. You are a member of Am Yisrael, find a way to connect in a positive way.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:41 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfHater View Post
I am Jewish. I can't change that. My ancestors were in Egypt and persued by the same opressors as all of you throughout history. However I can never be one of you. Not my choice but yours. From a very early age I was different. I was at a Jewish school where I was bullied and teased relentlessly. I was sent to another school where I managed to make friends with another boy - an Italian, himself an outcast because he was only one of 3 non jews in the class. As a teenager I joined Jewish youth movements which is where things got really bad. The entire group turned on me. Everyone. The leaders, fellow members of the group, younger kids even. The hmiliation of being bullied and teased by someone 2 years younger was just too much and I hit one of them. Then I was the bully! Had one person stuck up for me I would be different but not one did. Not one!

I eventually left school and went to university where I made Muslim friends. I am now converting to Islam. The thing I can't understand is the reaction this has got. How can a community who completely shunned me, to the point of needing serious psychiatric care, think it such an outrage when I leave? How can they who pushed me out in the most brutal way accuse me of being the traitor? Most importantly how can they expect me to fight for Israel, putting my life on the line and killing the only people who ever showed me any kindness in the interests of protecting them?

I have no intention to fight for either side but push come to shove and if there is a holy war think about how you might have treated a Jew different to you, how you would have felt if everyone else had given just as much abuse to the same person which side they might fight on. Perhaps also think about someone who might be more inclined to fight on the other side. Think about their access to the community and how much damage they could do as a spy or suicide bomber. Think about all of this and then think about the child you bullied. When he / she reacts will it be you or them who has to answer for their sins in the end?
As a Muslim myself, I believe you are converting for the wrong reason.

In my opinion the only reason a person should accept Islam is because they them self have searched and found reason to believe it is the truth,

Reading your post it seems you are trying to run away from a problem. I am always pleased to welcome a new revert to Islam, but I also want them to revert because they have a sincere desire to serve Allaah(swt) not because they think it is an easier life.

Be your own person and make your choices based upon your own findings, not the result of pressure from any human.

Question all things, seek answers from all available sources. Verify all things and remember you alone are responsible for what you believe or do not believe.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:07 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfHater View Post

Wasnt me. Dunno wtf you're talking about.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:04 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
OP sounds fictional as there are too many inconsistencies. If the poster actually learned about Islam from Muslims, then the poster would not have used the word "convert". The correct word would have been "revert".

My only advice is that if the OP is female and does revert is to do it in a non-Islamic country.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
I agree with Pruz. Nothin in the OP rings true or genuine to me, except that this person is not willing to step up and take accountability for himself/herself and clearly has zero locus of internal control. It's very sad when people blame everybody but their self for their place in life.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As a Muslim myself, I believe you are converting for the wrong reason.

In my opinion the only reason a person should accept Islam is because they them self have searched and found reason to believe it is the truth,

Reading your post it seems you are trying to run away from a problem. I am always pleased to welcome a new revert to Islam, but I also want them to revert because they have a sincere desire to serve Allaah(swt) not because they think it is an easier life.

Be your own person and make your choices based upon your own findings, not the result of pressure from any human.

Question all things, seek answers from all available sources. Verify all things and remember you alone are responsible for what you believe or do not believe.
With all of the things going on in the world today, and some Muslim's getting seen in a not very positive light, I only wish that words such as yours could be seen by those that now tarnish the Muslim religion, in hopes to change their viewpoints.

My sincere handshake is offered to you as your words and direction show true conviction.

I bid you peace....

Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
OP sounds fictional as there are too many inconsistencies. If the poster actually learned about Islam from Muslims, then the poster would not have used the word "convert". The correct word would have been "revert".

My only advice is that if the OP is female and does revert is to do it in a non-Islamic country.
I agree, sounds like a troll. No one calls themselves a "SelfHater", it's a term used to smear people, like "feminazi".

And yeah, people who convert to Islam usually refer to themselves as "reverts" because of the Islamic view that everybody is born a Muslim

Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 AM

We are drifting OFF-TOPIC and there has been no reply from the OP

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 PM

I received word from the OP and am reopening the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism