Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,892,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Most of the Chasidim and Orthodox I encounter are not very friendly to non-Orthodox Jews and to goyim as a whole.
That is an interesting comment, Tikva. Since I have never talked with an Orthodox Jew, I have no idea how friendly they would be to me. The Mormons I know are very nice people.

Do you think the Orthodox Jews on this forum are fairly representative of the Orthodox Jews you know?

Old 04-02-2014, 05:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Do you think the Orthodox Jews on this forum are fairly representative of the Orthodox Jews you know?
I had to jump in on this one. NO they are not (and I know 100's across the world).

Old 04-02-2014, 06:37 PM

388 posts, read 384,624 times
Quote:
The first encounter I ever had with a Haredi Jew in the states was at the building my Dad ran his printing shop out of in Manhattan. I had to be about 6-7 years old at the time and was walking around the floor that our office was located in. A few Haredi Jews owned some sort of office space on our floor and I said hello to them when I was walking. No response, and one spit on the ground.

Recently, a rather disturbing encounter was at a local grocery store (Publix). There was an Orthodox gentleman in front of me who was checking out. The cashier (male) greeted the man with a hello and asking how he was. The guy would not even acknowledge the cashiers existence other than to give him the money.

Is this an indictment on the Orthodox community as a whole? No way. It just means that I have yet to have a great encounter with an Orthodox congregant (other than the Modern Orthodox Rabbi who came to my Comparative Judaism lecture, he was wonderful and informative).

I certainly hope that the two frum members of this forum are not representative of the Orthodox community as a whole.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Nebach.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 PM

388 posts, read 384,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Nebach.
Yes, I agree that it is a shame.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I had to jump in on this one. NO they are not (and I know 100's across the world).
Good answer, Pruzhany.

But, in light of the comments by Tikva, do you think the Orthodox Jews in this forum are representative of American Orthodox Jews?

I mean, maybe the Orthodox Jews in other parts of the world are more comfortable in their surroundings and do not carry a chip on their shoulder.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Pruzh, pity you couldn't be the one to bring false charges.....
You ARE Satmar. No other Chasidish sect said this and keeps on saying this about him and all the associated arrested. The only group with all the facts staring them in the face and deny the emes in them.

That being said, you being on the internet in this way is a violation of using devices in a not kosher fashion on a not kosher website. And if you are here in violation of the Rebbis statement then with hiding within all the Ultra Orthodox statements you've made in the past, you internally have doubt to the validity and thus are heading OTD (you just have not admitted it to yourself). You know a few of us who left, and I guarantee they've all told you the same thing. You gain more than you lose. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:

But, in light of the comments by Tikva,(1) do you think the Orthodox Jews in this forum are representative of American Orthodox Jews?

(2) I mean, maybe the Orthodox Jews in other parts of the world are more comfortable in their surroundings and do not carry a chip on their shoulder.
Overall, in general No. Keep in mind that there are more than two who are Orthodox on this forum. We just believe in different levels of being Orthodox. Look back to the oldest posts in this forum. You'll only find only one that is extremist in his views (if you read through his posts through the years, you'll notice that he went from a sheep to a wolf as his posts increased yet looking at his statistics you'll see that many saw him was the wolf he actually is). Without him the bell curve is more balanced as we have a wider sample of people with different opinions relative to their realm of Judaism.

Coming from a Ultra Orthodox foundation, I can peg out the individual characteristics of each person here. Pretty much most are more Orthodox than they think they or when they label themselves as Reform/Conservative are in reality Masorti. But there are a small mix who label themselves as
Reform/Conservative who are Secular.

(2) It varies from sect to sect, town to town. Some as a community are worse in other countries than in the US. It's just the US has extremely more freedoms than other countries or as in another country the Middle East they turn their heads as not to notice it ( but that is changing slowly as the Haredi have crossed the line one time too many and there are already videos of them being pushed to the ground handcuffed and carried off).

Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
Yes, I agree that it is a shame.
You do know he's using the slang version of the word being of deserving contemptuous pity. It's an insult.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Pretty much most are more Orthodox than they think they are
I don't know much about religion, but I find that is very true in politics.

Most people say they are independent or middle-of-the-road politically, but if you talk with them, you find they are really much more hard-line Liberal or Conservative.

Maybe that is just human nature. On things that matter to us - religion, politics, or ideas about the golf swing - we tend to have strong opinions. It would be pretty dull to go through life being wishy-washy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism