Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 02:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times

Advertisements

this is more of a socio-occupational question. Can I ask it here? If you feel it belongs elsewhere, could you pls move the post. Thanks

my inquiry is do many Jews who are entrepreneurs or have owned their own businesses often look down on Jews who haven't lived this kind of life? such as being in occupations where they work for someone else like a govt agency. I am of the faith myself.

I inquire because I have had several friendships that went bad. In one my former friends mother made a comment that "its very unusual to see a Jewish man working for a Probation Department"(my dad worked for federal probation). my friend's dad owned his own steno business.

the other friends dad also owned his own business. my friend had the attitude that if you didn't make a lot of money you were making "peanuts". he never asked me what my father did for a living and in fact seemed to go out of his way to make sure i never discussed my parents

I always got the impression that these friends were seeing me to be less of a person because I wasn't from a business minded family

so is this based on the culture or was i just unfortunate to hook up with some stuck up people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
My inquiry is do many Jews who are entrepreneurs or have owned their own businesses often look down on Jews who haven't lived this kind of life? such as being in occupations where they work for someone else like a govt agency. I am of the faith myself.

I inquire because I have had several friendships that went bad. In one my former friends mother made a comment that "its very unusual to see a Jewish man working for a Probation Department"(my dad worked for federal probation). my friend's dad owned his own steno business.

the other friends dad also owned his own business. my friend had the attitude that if you didn't make a lot of money you were making "peanuts". he never asked me what my father did for a living and in fact seemed to go out of his way to make sure i never discussed my parents

I always got the impression that these friends were seeing me to be less of a person because I wasn't from a business minded family

so is this based on the culture or was i just unfortunate to hook up with some stuck up people?
In my experience it's based on being cultural for males to have their own businesses. When I lived in NYC, I didn't know of any male parent who didn't own their own business. That is because historically Jews were not allowed to own property nor work in numerous positions in other countries previous to WW2. If I look at my cousins, all are well educated enough to either own their business or be in a high position in a company. If I look at the children of my cousins (and my own) most are well educated, but those who live in the US mostly work in high paying positions (even outside of NY) in companies and those who live in Israel strive to have their own businesses.

If I look at my Jewish friends, those with the least amount of generation living in the US tend to fall into my category. Those who emigrated to the US before WW1 tend to fall into your category. But that's my POV.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:36 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
this is more of a socio-occupational question. Can I ask it here? If you feel it belongs elsewhere, could you pls move the post. Thanks

my inquiry is do many Jews who are entrepreneurs or have owned their own businesses often look down on Jews who haven't lived this kind of life? such as being in occupations where they work for someone else like a govt agency. I am of the faith myself.

Maybe. I seem to get a lot of, "What does your husband do?" and disappointed looks that he's not a doctor or some very (what they deem important occupation) since I'm in the medical field. Just anecdotal evidence of my experience. I don't run with that crowd, though. Look for the kind, gentle people to whom occupation doesn't matter. They are there.

Of course, as a Jewish person, you're expected to be bright and work towards your potential, but occupation isn't the be all/end all of the world. Hashem is. His people are here - seek them out.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 AM

467 posts, read 352,769 times
I think that Pruzhany's answer is a good start. It is also somewhat a New York Jewish thing, and spread, without dissipating, to other parts of the country. I, personally, find these attitudes rather distasteful, and often the same for the people who hold them. Of course, there are plenty of Jews who don't look down on others so quickly, but one may not notice them as quickly because they don't express themselves so often.

Myself, I let friendships work out how they're going to work out, and notice the Jew/non-Jew ratio only for informational purposes, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism