Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
You do know that non-Jews are not required to eat kosher, right? Non-Jews can eat all the bacon cheeseburgers with shrimp that they want.
Yuck...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
But as a Rule Kosher is Halal to a Muslim. Especially if Halal is not available. In the US halal is scarce so most US Muslims eat Kosher.
In New York City where I lived most of my life, both Halal and Kosher food are easily obtained in many supermarkets, specialty restaurants and even street vendors. I even know of a Halal Chinese restaurant, run by Chinese Muslims who fled oppression in that country. While not certified as such, food from Sikh temples (offered free to anyone who is hungry) could qualify as either Kosher or Halal, except that it comes from a non-Jewish non-Muslim house of worship. As pointed out by others, certification is more than a matter of the ingredients in the food.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:21 PM

864 posts, read 870,931 times
Quote:
While not certified as such, food from Sikh temples (offered free to anyone who is hungry) could qualify as either Kosher or Halal,
Not Kosher.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
Not Kosher.
I was speaking of the food itself, not whether it would meet all of the requirements of kashrut, which involve much more than merely the ingredients. If the same ingredients were prepared the same way in a kosher kitchen, is there anything to prevent it from being kosher? Recall that the food served in Sikh temples is totally vegan so that no one should take offense.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Without daas Torah, it's unkosher.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Without daas Torah, it's unkosher.
Not what I asked. Of course kashering requires Da'at Torah. (I am speaking from the viewpoint of the Lubavitcher and other Hasidic Jews I knew from work. The computer profession in NYC has lots of them.) What I asked is if the food that is served in a Sikh langar would be kosher if it were made in a kosher kitchen. Sikh langar food is totally vegan, lots of lentils, rice, tomatoes, flour, things like that.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:58 PM

864 posts, read 870,931 times
If cooked in a kosher kitchen under proper supervision, they'd be kosher. Why not?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:10 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
If cooked in a kosher kitchen under proper supervision, they'd be kosher. Why not?
Maybe an issue of avodah Zara?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:57 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
My thoughts are if you feel you need a specific diet you should not invade someone else's home, kill them, get arrested, get charged, get convicted and go to jail.
That way you can have any meal you choose but since you did all of the above you can suck it up and eat what you are given or don't eat.
In my law enforcement career, I've arrested a number of "religious" people who chose to steal, defraud, and physically harm people. This includes Jews. I found it amazing that they wanted their tallit and teffilin in prison along with kosher, and even foods kosher for Passover. Federal prisons provided some accommodations, but for the most part, they were told to suck it up or stay out of prison.

Oh, and khaki's not black and white outfits, were the uniform of the day (every day).

Old 09-24-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Maybe an issue of avodah Zara?
Maybe, but this is the food Sikhs make for everyone, not just for other Sikhs. It is made and served in rooms separate from the temple proper. No worship involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism