Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,706 times

Advertisements

Are teachings in reform and conservative Judiasm becoming more liberal--ie., to the extent of allowing for open (and perhaps incorrect interpretation) of the scriptures? This is sadly true now in many Christian churches where they do not preach what the old and new Testaments say but rather "interpret them".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:44 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
The Reform and Orthodox are getting more conservative, while the Conservative movement is becoming more liberal. A group called the "Open Orthodox" is trying to fill the gap where Orthodoxy used to be ~ 60 years ago.

Also, not sure if you are aware, but Judaism is not based on the Old Testament of the Bible. It is based on the Oral and Written Torah.

And you'll have to define what you mean by "incorrect interpretation".

Old 10-09-2014, 05:34 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Are teachings in reform and conservative Judaism becoming more liberal--ie., to the extent of allowing for open (and perhaps incorrect interpretation) of the scriptures? This is sadly true now in many Christian churches where they do not preach what the old and new Testaments say but rather "interpret them".
The problem also extends to the Orthodox. It is where one is taught to read in another language without actually understanding the words. For this there is a saying that one must be able to read and understand the words so there is no loss in the translation. My Yeshiva taught both together, but I know many American Jews who can read Hebrew but have no clue what they are reading. Christians take this problem a step further by not being able to read Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin and Greek thus they rely on interpretations much more than Jews and have ended up with over 50 different NT Bibles. Thus both rely on someone else's translation plus the interpretations of the translator added in.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
The Reform and Orthodox are getting more conservative, while the Conservative movement is becoming more liberal. A group called the "Open Orthodox" is trying to fill the gap where Orthodoxy used to be ~ 60 years ago.

Also, not sure if you are aware, but Judaism is not based on the Old Testament of the Bible. It is based on the Oral and Written Torah.

And you'll have to define what you mean by "incorrect interpretation".
Right, I'm aware that Judiasm is based on the Torah. By "incorrect (or liberal) interpretation" I mean are the teachings being misinterpreted or "convoluted" to conform to being politically correct--or perhaps this doesn't apply to Judiasm (forgive my ignorance). I'm curious exactly what changes are taking place in what religious Jews believe nowadays.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
the problem with the concept of "liberal" is that it might not be.
it might be just a withering of principle.
a great deal of cowardice tries to pass itself off as "liberal"

Old 10-09-2014, 06:57 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The problem also extends to the Orthodox. It is where one is taught to read in another language without actually understanding the words. For this there is a saying that one must be able to read and understand the words so there is no loss in the translation. My Yeshiva taught both together, but I know many American Jews who can read Hebrew but have no clue what they are reading. Christians take this problem a step further by not being able to read Hebrew, Aramaic, Latin and Greek thus they rely on interpretations much more than Jews and have ended up with over 50 different NT Bibles. Thus both rely on someone else's translation plus the interpretations of the translator added in.
In the Orthodox and Conservative, the Hebrew text is on one page and the English is on the opposite page. So is that the translation of the Hebrew on the opposite page~? I presume it is.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
In the Orthodox and Conservative, the Hebrew text is on one page and the English is on the opposite page. So is that the translation of the Hebrew on the opposite page~? I presume it is.
None of mine have an English side. But some of the ones I've seen, the translations were not direct. They were light transliterations (or the words didn't match up with the context) so the English side flows better.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:11 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
I hate the Conservative movement's siddurim (prayerbooks) precisely because of their dishonest translations, where they use the Orthodox text but with a politically-correct "translation" that differs from the original meaning. It's like they're relying on the Hebrew illiteracy of their members to not offend people. Either change both the English and the Hebrew, or change neither.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:10 PM

467 posts, read 1,522,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I hate the Conservative movement's siddurim (prayerbooks) precisely because of their dishonest translations, where they use the Orthodox text but with a politically-correct "translation" that differs from the original meaning. It's like they're relying on the Hebrew illiteracy of their members to not offend people. Either change both the English and the Hebrew, or change neither.
The newest ones fess up to this, and put the changes in [brackets] along with an explanation, so people can do what they want according to local custom.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:18 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Are teachings in reform and conservative Judiasm becoming more liberal--ie., to the extent of allowing for open (and perhaps incorrect interpretation) of the scriptures? This is sadly true now in many Christian churches where they do not preach what the old and new Testaments say but rather "interpret them".
Some Christian churches are becoming more liberal, some are becoming more conservative, some are staying pretty much the same. My guess is that it is probably the same story in the several varieties of Judaism.

As far as 'interpreting' scripture, that has always been the case in Christianity. As I understand it, ongoing interpretation of scripture is normal in Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism