Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I feel like I'm reading about a cult.

The theme song of my cult.

[MIS]Chick chick - Wang Rong Rollin - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
BTW...He believes....
I have two sons, I instructed all my children to serve.

That's what I believe in.

I tell my sons to study the Bible to prove themselves, to study the law and to practice Judaism.

I inform and instruct them to live an humble life never denying anyone anything.

I instruct them to study the word of God, and when they have proved themselves as true students, then they should sell all they own and give to the poor.

I instruct them in lessons of irresponsibility, that if it is perfect, they will neither wed, or ever have sex.

That aint gonna, and hasn't.

But I would instruct any young man to seek the kingdom of God, and if he has accomplished anything for his father to be proud of, it would be that he knows God.

There is no boasting other than that, that you have taught your son to know God.

What do you believe Richard.

My oldest son owns 2 gyms, and my youngest son has been serving in the military in Korea for years.

My oldest son has no wife or child.

I tell him over and over that if he gives me ten thousand dollars, I will turn it into a million, and he is often tempted, and I am very sure that I will take his ten thousand.

I will take it and he will actually think that I am gonna bring back a million, he has that much faith in me.

But I would take his ten thousand and do good works in his name.

Here is my question to you.

Is it irresponsible of me to tell my son not to make a huge retirement fund?

Is it irresponsible of me to tell my son that he should study the word of God, and when ha has studied, he should sell his two gyms, and give his money to the poor?

Do you understand how I believe?

Do you believe like me?

Richard, If you want to be perfect, then sell all you own and give to the poor.

Do you think that is wise?

Old 11-18-2014, 10:00 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I have two sons, I instructed all my children to serve.

That's what I believe in.

I tell my sons to study the Bible to prove themselves, to study the law and to practice Judaism.
What "Judaism" do you teach them?

Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
What "Judaism" do you teach them?
I haven't taught them anything yet, but I tried.

They don't take my advise.

I converted to Judaism about 5 years ago, and I understand that people in Judaism do not accept me, but luckily, I don't need acceptance.

But if my sons would take my advise, I would teach them to learn the religion of God, the comings and goings of the Temple, and what the 7 Holy days teach in those comings and goings.

The only way to really learn the comings and goings of the religion of God is to search Judaism, searching the Talmud, and learning what actually happens in those comings and goings.

I believe in the God of Israel and his Torah, what other God should I believe in?

And if I really believe in the worship system of God and the authority given to the people of God, what other religion should I say I am a member of, other than Judaism?

Christianity was a sect of Judaism for over 100 years, many gentile observers who respected the laws and religion watched on as Judaism continued.

Their authority were the priests of Judaism, there was no other authority.

Whether the New Testament is true or not, there was only one religion, and the people of the New Testament proved that they saw the priesthood of Judaism as THEIR authorities. They submitted to the priests in Judaism, time and time again, and we were told in no uncertain terms that the Jews sit in the seat of Moses, and we were to do as we were told.

But a Priest would not ask much of a Gentile would he?

I consider myself to be a convert to Judaism, and while I am not accepted as a member of Judaism, there is still only one religion of the God of Israel.

I may have different kind of thoughts than Orthodox people in Judaism, but I still see only one religion.

Not all Jews think alike either, but where else should I turn to, other than Judaism?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:49 PM

What is Judaism, to you? Which people (rabbis, websites, authors) share the same religious views as you do? Which sources do you trust for information about Judaism?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
What is Judaism, to you? Which people (rabbis, websites, authors) share the same religious views as you do? Which sources do you trust for information about Judaism?

I stay in Chabad all the time, I am continually reading the works of Orthodox Jews, and I would press an Orthodox Jews for information I can find no place else.

I would be very happy to attend a synagogue with Orthodox Jews, but I am extremely aware of people not wanting me there, and that is completely understandable in looking at the history of Christianity.

I read the works of Messianic Jews also, and anything that would teach me about Temple design, and the comings and goings of the Temple.

Temple design and the workings of the Priesthood is what I am always after, and there is no way of finding this information unless one wants to learn from the Orthodox.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I stay in Chabad all the time, I am continually reading the works of Orthodox Jews, and I would press an Orthodox Jews for information I can find no place else.

I would be very happy to attend a synagogue with Orthodox Jews, but I am extremely aware of people not wanting me there, and that is completely understandable in looking at the history of Christianity.
There is no problem with non-Jews at Orthodox synagogues, as long as you're not trying to proselytize or talk about Jesus or Mohammed.

Quote:
I read the works of Messianic Jews also, and anything that would teach me about Temple design, and the comings and goings of the Temple.
Messianic "Jews" are completely Protestant Christian in theology. They may or may not know about Temple design, but their info might be informed by Christian understandings of the role of Jesus in superseding the Temple.

Quote:
Temple design and the workings of the Priesthood is what I am always after, and there is no way of finding this information unless one wants to learn from the Orthodox.
Why do you care so much about the Temple and workings of the Priesthood? Until the Temple is rebuilt, no one can serve as Jewish priests. The priestly caste (kohanim) are treated like all other Jewish people with the exception of certain synagogue honors and certain restrictions meant to preserve their ritual purity in case the Temple is rebuilt. You might be around kohanim in Chabad and not even know it.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Why do you care so much about the Temple and workings of the Priesthood?
I want to know myself.

I would be more than happy to explain that in detail, but I doubt you would want to hear it.

It would begin with my left eye and left hand.

There is a fallen priest in my left eye, should I continue?

I am sure there are gentiles who go to synagogues and are cool, and I would never consider to try and convert a Jew EVER.

But the one time I did attend a synagogue, I was just really hurt, crushed even, wanted to cry.

I was approached before I ever hit the door, 3 men came at me as if I were a terrorists, and I can understand such a thing, I mean to say, that these people were so suspicious of me and looked at me with such hatred that I can only imagine that others had come before me and tried something crazy, or tried to convert them or something.

My Jewish friend that I had brought there went in before me, and they didn't know I was with him, but while I was being subjected to all these questions of why I was there, my friend came and told them who I was, and so I went in with him as to not embarrass him, but I couldn't wait to get out the door.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
But the one time I did attend a synagogue, I was just really hurt, crushed even, wanted to cry.

I was approached before I ever hit the door, 3 men came at me as if I were a terrorists, and I can understand such a thing, I mean to say, that these people were so suspicious of me and looked at me with such hatred that I can only imagine that others had come before me and tried something crazy, or tried to convert them or something.

My Jewish friend that I had brought there went in before me, and they didn't know I was with him, but while I was being subjected to all these questions of why I was there, my friend came and told them who I was, and so I went in with him as to not embarrass him, but I couldn't wait to get out the door.
If you are dressed either formally or semi-formally, you should not have trouble getting into a synagogue. If you aren't sure if you will be accepted, then wear a kippah. They're not easy to find, just go to a Judaica store or order a few online. Try not to order a satin one, those are the ones synagogues give out. You should never wear hobo clothes or even jeans and T-shirts to synagogues on Shabbat, especially if the synagogue is located in a poor neighborhood.

I'm half Asian and thus don't "look Jewish" in America, but I haven't had problems walking into Orthodox and Conservative synagogues, even ones with security. If you look African-American or Hispanic, your mileage may vary. I've heard of extra racism thrown their way if they aren't regulars. If you fall into one of these categories, consider getting light colored kippahs, which are more visible if you have dark hair. Also consider getting a tallit bag and wearing tzitzit.

If you want to visit an Orthodox synagogue, try going to a Chabad or Aish synagogue. These are well-known for being friendly to Jews unfamiliar with Judaism. Barring that, you can always e-mail the synagogue board and ask if someone can show you around. I never did that, and maybe that's why I was never offered an aliyah because people were afraid I wasn't Jewish, but I haven't ever been barred or questioned.

If you're going with a Jewish friend, I can't see why they would give you trouble.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:35 PM

388 posts, read 384,848 times
Quote:
Also consider getting a tallit bag and wearing tzitzit.
...is he Jewish? I would not recommend them if he is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism