Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheli123 View Post
Indeed. And I know personally of many examples where children of a gentile mother and jewish father converted to judaism as they were raised jewish. ...
I can take that a step further to where both parents are Lesbians and they live in a Modern Orthodox neighborhood in NY. They had a civil marriage and the neighbors I've met have a live and let live attitude. The daughters blood mother is the Jewish one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 07:39 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times
I think Racheli123 has a good grasp of where's she's at, and where she wants to go. I know my responses were very straight forward, and I think she has a good sense of what is emes. Can do and will do are two different things. I wish her great hatzlacha as she plows her path forward.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I can take that a step further to where both parents are Lesbians and they live in a Modern Orthodox neighborhood in NY. They had a civil marriage and the neighbors I've met have a live and let live attitude. The daughters blood mother is the Jewish one.
Being a lesbian is no heter to following the 613. Bravo to them for guarding the Torah as MO Jews.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racheli123 View Post
Hope nobody feels offended if I did not agree with them.

Not here. But as you've seen we do have some kinderlach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Idc7fwJuw8

Old 01-27-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Being a lesbian is no heter to following the 613. Bravo to them for guarding the Torah as MO Jews.
And being Gay men??

Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Not here. But as you've seen we do have some kinderlach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Idc7fwJuw8
Cool vid...Who was the guy in red?...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Cool vid...Who was the guy in red?...
Lipa Schmeltzer
Lipa Schmeltzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-27-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
And being Gay men??
Better to be gay and Mitzva observant than to be gay and totally frei, wouldn't we all agree?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:15 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Better to be gay and Mitzva observant than to be gay and totally frei, wouldn't we all agree?
Thank you for agreeing that you can be gay AND mitzvah observant.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:54 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Regarding the OP, I know a happily married couple in their 50's where the husband is Jewish and the wife isn't. He told me that as he got older, he realized that finding a compatible soulmate was more important than finding somebody Jewish.

I know a couple where the man is a secular Jew but raised Conservative and strongly Zionist, and the woman is a Unitarian. She is quite keen on learning about Jewish customs and the Torah and intends to convert to Judaism. Based on this, I think it's likely that this couple will create a Jewish home and raise children with a strong Jewish identity.

I also know a couple in their late 20's where both the man and the woman are halachic Jews but because their parents were Soviet Jews, they know almost nothing about Judaism. I don't wager on their future children being particularly connected to Judaism.

What is most important for the Jewish people is for a couple to pledge to create a Jewish home and raise Jewish children. When one spouse is not Jewish, it is more likely for the non-Jewish spouse to convert or at least go along with Judaism if he or she isn't strongly religious and doesn't have religious parents. In this way, Jewish tradition is passed down to their kids. Even if both spouses are halachically Jewish, if they have no Jewish identity besides bagels and lox, it's likely that their offspring won't be Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism