Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There are no photos on the net of him wearing them. But he may be wearing them tucked into his pants and they may have have slipped out which may look like they are hanging off the belt when in reality they were not.
Could be possible...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:34 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikva View Post
The blue cord is called Techelet.
I've never seen a Jew wear techeles on their tzitzit. Only messianics.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post

And there you go on one of your Ultra Orthodox tangents.

Rationalist Judaism: Why People Don't Wear Techeles

Old 05-03-2015, 09:48 AM

I wear my yarmulke at all waking times. But I'm not dumb, there are plenty of times I wear a baseball hat on top of that. Many places in the U.S., it's simply not safe to be seen with a yarmulke. It's gotten significantly worse since the Gaza war last summer. My neighborhood has a significant presence of Orthodox Jews (easily identifiable, even the women), and three swastikas have shown up within 5 streets of my house in the last year. Friends, we are hated by a significant number of non Jews.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:08 AM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop

And there you go on one of your Ultra Orthodox tangents.
I have seen a number of Jews wearing tzitzis with a p'sil techeles. I have knowingly seen only one "messianic" J4J, and he wasn't wearing tzitzis at all.

How is this as an "Ultra Orthodox tangent," whatever that is? Sounds more like chiloni sea cant, or OTD co-sign.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
I have seen a number of Jews wearing tzitzis with a p'sil techeles. I have knowingly seen only one "messianic" J4J, and he wasn't wearing tzitzis at all.

How is this as an "Ultra Orthodox tangent," whatever that is? Sounds more like chiloni sea cant, or OTD co-sign.
Per your past posts in this sub-forum spanning over a year, you know exactly what was meant and also know what all the abbreviations mean. I'm a former FFB and he is a BT. Since this is a English only board, chiloni should have been typed as Secular and as to your comment of being in the gray area of being rude, I'll skip over whatever you were insinuating by the three words (chiloni sea cant) and the other two (OTD co-sign) you typed this time around as we need to translate your English into English.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 05-03-2015 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: update

Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 PM

388 posts, read 384,624 times
TFF, I see people wearing Tzitzit with Techelet in Israel a lot. They are definitely not Messianic, and they are of the Ultra-Orthodox sects.

Only recently when they have 99% pinned down the specific species of Snail that Techelet was made from.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
... I see people wearing Tzitzit with Techelet in Israel a lot. They are definitely not Messianic, and they are of the Ultra-Orthodox sects.

FYI

What is considered Orthodox (even Modern Orthodox) in Israel, is more Orthodox than in the US. Same thing goes for Conservative which is in Israel is more religious than in the US and Masorti better fits it.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:40 PM

388 posts, read 384,624 times
Yes, I am aware.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
TFF, I see people wearing Tzitzit with Techelet in Israel a lot. They are definitely not Messianic, and they are of the Ultra-Orthodox sects.

Only recently when they have 99% pinned down the specific species of Snail that Techelet was made from.
I only offered the observations of 1 American Ashkenazi Yid. I've never seen a regular Yid wearing them.

(And I'm not going to take the bait for a fight. Sorry if that's boring)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism