U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,345,152 times

Advertisements

Did any of you go to Jewish sleep away as kids, or send your kids now? My two oldest boys are away for 4 weeks at camp in Northern PA, and they are loving it. Interestingly, this camp actually required references from their rebbes before they would send us an application. But that gives me the comfort they will not be around harmful secular or progressive influences. I'm missing them quite a bit, but I know this is the experience of a lifetime for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 AM

21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
Near Scranton? My niece is at Moshava which is also in Northern PA.

Home | Camp Moshava

Did your comfort level just drop?

Old 07-05-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Near Scranton? My niece is at Moshava which is also in Northern PA.

Home | Camp Moshava

Did your comfort level just drop?
Yes near Scranton, but different camp. All the kids are Shomer Shabbos, it's boys only. They play lots f sports and stuff, but learn Gamora 3 hours each day.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:20 PM

21,371 posts, read 24,120,799 times
I got video:
https://youtu.be/Wozwl2Xkwy8

Old 07-05-2015, 12:23 PM

14,844 posts, read 4,979,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Did any of you go to Jewish sleep away as kids, or send your kids now? My two oldest boys are away for 4 weeks at camp in Northern PA, and they are loving it. Interestingly, this camp actually required references from their rebbes before they would send us an application. But that gives me the comfort they will not be around harmful secular or progressive influences. I'm missing them quite a bit, but I know this is the experience of a lifetime for them.
Aint nothing like camp, my mother sent me to camp every year until I was 17 and I still wanted to go and did when I was about 30. A kid will come back from camp as a changed person sometimes, it's good for kids to be away from their parents and it teaches a kid discipline even if it's just waking up for himself and being responsible for where he needs to be for the sake of the whole group. Competition is always so exciting at camps, and Lord knows that you ALWAYS meet the girl you will love for the rest of your life. LOL.

It wasn't Jewish camps I went to, but it was a religious camp.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:26 PM

OH, wonder how that boys and girl thing works in Jewish camps? Wonder if they have the last day banquet where you could invite a girl? Jewish camps might be different with different views in mingling boys and girls, I don't know.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:31 PM

No girls at all in camp. My boys will never even hold hands with a girl until their wedding night.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
No girls at all in camp. My boys will never even hold hands with a girl until their wedding night.
Yeah, I felt kinda stupid when I suddenly realized that boys and girls don't go to camp together, dang the bad luck. That was the best thing about camp and being 12, to ask a girl to the dinner on the night before camp ended.

I guess I got lucky!!!!!

So there is benefits to being raised a gentile!

Old 07-05-2015, 03:04 PM

I don't know, I think it would have been nice if I was raised not to hold hands until I got married. I certainly wish I would have taught my children the same, but OMG, that is such a high expectation. To not even hold hands with a girl till you get married. I mean, it sounds perfect and I wished it would be followed, but man that would be hard.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM

It's the standard in the Orthodox Jewish community. My kids' school separates the sexes in 1st grade, and their next real contact with the opposite sex is when they begin to date, which still does not include any form of touch until the wedding night. Divorce in the Orthodox community is less than 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or