Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 11:37 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Your a lucky woman to have a wedding at least. Some people don't, like myself. My parents never wanted me to marry.
it is not ever good for any person to have someone else's will forced upon them.

did your parents prevent you from marrying? or just from marrying a certain person? or did you have to elope? please do share, this is a wedding thread. I know my brother for a time in his 30s was engaged and my mother did all she could and kept them from marrying, and he never did marry. it was very sad. He is now almost 60. we need to let our grown children have their own lives.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-02-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 AM

23,150 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
First of all, you both seemed to have missed the part where the OP would not attend the church ceremony.

Just the presence of statues set up to be prayed before would be enough to keep an observant Jew from entering, I imagine. I grew up Protestant and I remember the shock and revulsion I felt the first time I attended a Catholic wedding and saw the couple kneel before a statue of Mary and leave the bride's flowers at her feet. Then there's that ritual involving flesh and blood and sacrifice. Not kosher at all!
I am a Messianic and even I wont go into most churches, I don't think people realize how much statues and idols effect some people, If it has a steeple, I probably aint going to enter, if it has a big cross with Jesus on it, I probably aint going inside.

From a Jewish view{I am not Jewish}, you never know just how much the percentage is that people hate you, somebody in that church is going to look at a Jew with hate and think to themselves,'' Christ killer.''

Of course that's ridicurous, but there it is. It's not always a good feeling when people are looking at you with disgust, and I can imagine the talk, the whispers and rumors flying from a mixed wedding of two ancient rivals.

I'm sure I wouldn't know where to look.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 09-02-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
From a Jewish view{I am not Jewish}, you never know just how much the percentage is that people hate you, somebody in that church is going to look at a Jew with hate and think to themselves,'' Christ killer.''

Of course that's ridicurous, but there it is. It's not always a good feeling when people are looking at you with disgust, and I can imagine the talk, the whispers and rumors flying from a mixed wedding of two ancient rivals.

Hannibal is correct on this
it is a regular and routine belief and occurrence to hear or be told that the Jews killed Jesus.
my impression is that is part of the coldness towards me.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:30 PM

467 posts, read 352,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
From the perspective of a Orthodox Jew (any level within Orthodoxy) they do not enter the house of worship of any other religion, . . .
Not bearing directly on this thread, but I believe that if you check with your local orthodox rabbi dude, you will find that orthodox Jews are NOT prohibited from entering Muslim places of worship, since the position is that they pray to the same god and none other.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:23 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Not bearing directly on this thread, but I believe that if you check with your local orthodox rabbi dude, you will find that orthodox Jews are NOT prohibited from entering Muslim places of worship, since the position is that they pray to the same god and none other.
Contact yours and discuss avoda zara.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org...hzara_toc.html

Enjoy some reading:

Weekly Halacha - Parshas Bo, 5772 - Torah.org

Old 09-02-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
"All poskim agree that unless there is a compelling reason to do so, mosques are off limits for any G-d-fearing Jew."

[glossary: poskim - legal scholars who decide in cases of law where previous authorities are inconclusive or no precedent exists.]

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-02-2015 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-02-2015, 04:30 PM

467 posts, read 352,922 times
Quote:
Thank you. Your second reference makes it quite clear that some authorities permit entering a mosque, others don't, and all feel that it should be avoided if possible.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:44 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it is not ever good for any person to have someone else's will forced upon them.

did your parents prevent you from marrying? or just from marrying a certain person? or did you have to elope? please do share, this is a wedding thread. I know my brother for a time in his 30s was engaged and my mother did all she could and kept them from marrying, and he never did marry. it was very sad. He is now almost 60. we need to let our grown children have their own lives.

Just like your brother, I never married nor had any kids...and we are near each others age too. My parents prevented me from marrying....or thought there was going to be one and they prevented me from marriage to him. But if it was anyone, they would of prevented me too. My parents were very over protective of me my whole life and now they are gone.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:28 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
You may want to re-read what you typed as that it is INSIDE the church as I stated. Jews walking past the idols outside a church is no big deal as we don't recognize them for what they represent. From the perspective of a Orthodox Jew (any level within Orthodoxy) they do not enter the house of worship of any other religion, do not engage in celebrations related to other religions, do not go to christmas parties at their place of work, play secret santa, go to wakes or open casket funerals, etc...

Forget the flight and the other family as they are background noise. The issue here is standing up and following one's beliefs and not creating loopholes.
I'm confused about what you're saying. Yes, I am talking about what goes on inside a church, above. Never said anything about walking by outside. Perhaps you confused me with someone else. My point was that if it was disturbing to another Christian, how much more so to a Jewish person. Perhaps that's not a valid statement. My opinion only.

But it's moot because the OP never intended to go to the church ceremony and said that in an early post.

Thanks for the clarification on what activities are not permitted.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:35 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I am a Messianic and even I wont go into most churches, I don't think people realize how much statues and idols effect some people, If it has a steeple, I probably aint going to enter, if it has a big cross with Jesus on it, I probably aint going inside.

I've been to a few of them. My ex came from a town that was 65% Jewish, and there were a lot of interfaith marriages among his Catholic friends, with the same priest and rabbi team usually performing the service. Since I was neither, I found the traditions interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism