Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,715,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you are not aware of it, you are speaking (yet again) in a condescending manner.

there are people on this board who would love to learn from you, who do have a great respect for your learning, and are thirsty to hear that. but your manner is so off-putting and offensive and condescending that we don't ever get to hear and benefit from your knowledge because those insults get in the way.

it reminds me of when Shimon bar Yochai left the cave after all those years and he started criticizing the people he saw for how they were living, and their crops would burst into flame from his harsh words, so God sent him back into the cave until he could tone down his harsh rebuke, then God let him out so he could do some good in the world without hurting others with his words.

how much more so for us, who are nowhere the level of Shimon bar Yochai, to be careful with our language and speak kindly to other Jews
I can pretty much tell by what you're typing that you are learning as I stated you are. You are quoting a person who followed the Kabbalah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:09 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,368,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Just a note -- often times, presence indicates condoning and acceptance. If the wedding is one which the individual can not (vs. "does not", or "will not" is a separate discussion) condone that person would feel a tension between an urge to go for one set of reasons and an urge not to, for another set. Competing moralities at play.
Point taken..however..us lowly human's don't condone everything that goes on in society..and sometimes I think simple human's take themselves too seriously, become totally self-absorbed and deny themselves so much out of principles...
The Op's presence is solely done to support a union/ whether done in civil ceremony or Church/Synagogue/ in a backyard..Who cares..Why deny a relationship or family member their "Right to Choice"..There's no demand that you have to sacrifice yourself to THEIR Life choice??

Again, All I am saying is it's either something you will tolerate or just become isolated within your own personal space to something different than oneself..
But I do get your point..and well taken rose

In my dictionary Condoning behaviour ( sorry I'm Canadian so insert "U"'s) is a very personal ideation..Mine was to hold accountable IF breaking rules (personal household rules parents put down) not to mention legal things... Neither of which in this case apply to the OP..Their marriage is somehow breaking the law? Nope..Their marriage is going to affect him personally in daily life?..Nope..So it come's down to Op's personal decision..which should NOT have anything to do with his mother, grandmother or distant relatives that never evolved past the intolerant stage..

Old 09-07-2015, 06:20 PM

22,122 posts, read 19,179,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I can pretty much tell by what you're typing that you are learning as I stated you are. You are quoting a person who followed the Kabbalah.
i am chassidus and follow the path of the Ba'al Shem Tov.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,042,582 times
Quote:
Can you explain (or somebody) what "Ba'al Shem Tov" means~? I don't understand all of the terminology here.

Also, will you send your son a gift for his wedding~?

Edit: I just Goggle "Ba'al Shem Tov" and apparently he WAS a Rabbi that has passed away. So you believe and follow someone who has left this earth~????

Old 09-07-2015, 06:28 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Can you explain (or somebody) what "Ba'al Shem Tov" means~? I don't understand all of the terminology here.
Ba'al Shem Tov (Master of the Good Name) is the title given to Rabbi Yisroel ben Eliezer (lived circa 1700 to 1760), who founded the Chasidic movement.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Also, will you send your son a gift for his wedding~?
yes, i am going to ask his fiancee if they have a registry, and pick something from their registry; if not I will ask them what they would like for their new home; maybe a nice piece of art they pick out and have custom framed, they like that

Old 09-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Edit: I just Goggle "Ba'al Shem Tov" and apparently he WAS a Rabbi that has passed away. So you believe and follow someone who has left this earth~????
in chassidus, association with a specific rabbi is seen as a beneficial way to learn Torah, prayer, and mitzvot and improve our middot. Our Jewish history for thousands of years is filled with people we admire and seek to emulate due to their outstanding devotion to God and Torah and the Jewish people.

glossary: mitzvot - commandments; chassidus - the chassidic movement of Judaism, founded by Yisrael ben Eliezer (the Ba'al Shem Tov); middot - our character development; tzaddikim - outstanding holy people

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-07-2015 at 06:54 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 07:04 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,715,897 times
Quote:
Can you read the Torah and translate it on your own?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Can you read the Torah and translate it on your own?
what's your point Pruz?
please clarify or expand on what you are saying, "If a Jew can not read the Torah and translate it on their own, then......."

....then what?

Old 09-07-2015, 07:55 PM

2,675 posts, read 1,260,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Point taken..however..us lowly human's don't condone everything that goes on in society..and sometimes I think simple human's take themselves too seriously, become totally self-absorbed and deny themselves so much out of principles...
The Op's presence is solely done to support a union/ whether done in civil ceremony or Church/Synagogue/ in a backyard..Who cares..Why deny a relationship or family member their "Right to Choice"..There's no demand that you have to sacrifice yourself to THEIR Life choice??

Again, All I am saying is it's either something you will tolerate or just become isolated within your own personal space to something different than oneself..
But I do get your point..and well taken rose

In my dictionary Condoning behaviour ( sorry I'm Canadian so insert "U"'s) is a very personal ideation..Mine was to hold accountable IF breaking rules (personal household rules parents put down) not to mention legal things... Neither of which in this case apply to the OP..Their marriage is somehow breaking the law? Nope..Their marriage is going to affect him personally in daily life?..Nope..So it come's down to Op's personal decision..which should NOT have anything to do with his mother, grandmother or distant relatives that never evolved past the intolerant stage..
I understand your position and it makes sense, but often, when one subscribes to a code of laws (any), adhering to the laws and making an effort to avoid the appearance of impropriety, and even the appearance of condoning anyone else's impropriety is a very strong force, one that defies logic which stems from other moralities. If I follow a set of rules which says that boxing is immoral, then I wouldn't go to a boxing match because it would be wrong to even appear to support it by showing up. The OP (and I don't know this) might feel differently about showing up to a civil marriage ceremony at the courthouse than one that purports to have any religious validity (which flies in the face of what the OP thinks of as religion's rule). In the eyes of someone who follows Orthodox Judaism, yes, this marriage will have consequences on that person's life, and yes, it is "illegal". That's what makes this so heart wrenching. I have been through this a few times myself(not a child, but cousins and siblings in law) and it is always difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism