Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:54 AM

646 posts, read 462,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
There is no obligation to make this nasty angry Judaism forum a kiruv forum. The standard in the Judaism forum is crankiness. In that guise, I'm not going to attempt any form of kiruv. Just the truth folks. It's an anonymous forum.

However, when posters here demonstrate an open mind towards Halacha, they do get treated differently. Look for my posts in this forum to 1+1=3 and JB from NC, both posters who are not frum but still highly respectful towards Halacha, and you will see a big difference in how I treat them. The rest of you are lost sheep, too angry and set in your progressive ways to be helped.
I am very interested im your opinion on the issues that I posted, Tff. Please tell me what you think about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 04:01 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,618,038 times
Quote:
What if one day they have a boy above the age of Bar Mitzvah and he wants to go to shul with me some time and we have 9 men? .....
I've been to 1000's of minyanim around the world and not one has ever asked me what type of Jew I was nor to pull down my pants to prove I'm one. A simple "yes" sufficed. Again it is NOT your place to judge the Jewishness of another. Judge yourself and no one else.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
There is no obligation to make this nasty angry Judaism forum a kiruv forum. The standard in the Judaism forum is crankiness. In that guise, I'm not going to attempt any form of kiruv. Just the truth folks. It's an anonymous forum.

However, when posters here demonstrate an open mind towards Halacha, they do get treated differently. Look for my posts in this forum to 1+1=3 and JB from NC, both posters who are not frum but still highly respectful towards Halacha, and you will see a big difference in how I treat them. The rest of you are lost sheep, too angry and set in your progressive ways to be helped.
As bolded: You don't and you insult.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:27 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,024,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Ask is fine. Proof is another.

Here's an application to a Orthodox school. All they do is ask.

https://www.flatbush.org/images/uplo...%202015-16.pdf

How much does it cost (if you know) to attend such a school in NY~? Does it vary from state to state~? Just curious.

Quote:
I was raised ultra-reform, and my parents had the wisdom to teach me that interfaith marriage was unacceptable. But sadly that wasn't enough, as their other kids still married goyim. Without a foundation in Torah, there is nothing to stop a Jew from marrying a goy.

What is "ultra-reform"~? I've never heard of this. I've heard of "Reconstructionalist" Jews. Is it like them~?

Old 09-06-2015, 08:38 PM

938 posts, read 1,509,907 times
Quote:
I've been to 1000's of minyanim around the world and not one has ever asked me what type of Jew I was nor to pull down my pants to prove I'm one. A simple "yes" sufficed. Again it is NOT your place to judge the Jewishness of another. Judge yourself and no one else.
This reminds me of a scene in Hebrew Hammer (skip to 0:54):

Quote:
What if one day they have a boy above the age of Bar Mitzvah and he wants to go to shul with me some time and we have 9 men? What if at the dinner table he's with my family and he wants to be counted to make a zimun (where three adult men call each other to begin the meal's after beracha). This could be very complex finding ways to avoid embarrassing future nephews or nieces who think they are Jewish.
With so much intermarriage going on these days, there are probably a lot of BTs who don't even know that they aren't Jewish. Can you imagine it: non-Jews reciting kiddush, leading a zimun, and making up the 10th man of a minyan. Maybe TFF should volunteer to help weed out these imposters who are making frum Jews not be yotzei mitzvot and making them saying brachot levatala.

GLOSSARY:

BT: baal teshuva: a non-Orthodox or secular Jew who becomes an Orthodox Jew
yotzei mitzvot: to fulfill a commandment
bracha levatala: a blessing said in vain because the action to be blessed did not occur

Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM

21,938 posts, read 19,063,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post

With so much intermarriage going on these days, there are probably a lot of BTs who don't even know that they aren't Jewish. Can you imagine it: non-Jews reciting kiddush, leading a zimun, and making up the 10th man of a minyan. ... weed out these imposters who are making frum Jews not be yotzei mitzvot and making them saying brachot levatala.
i am not even a guy and I am aware of when someone is not included in a minyan, such as when there is a wait before the Torah can be read and there are ten men but they are still waiting so obviously one of them is not able to be included. it happens. it is not personal. it is like any other part of the service that is conducted following halacha, such as when there is a problem with one of the scrolls and there is a delay while they figure out what to do

so yes it happens, rather routinely from what I've seen

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-06-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
How much does it cost (if you know) to attend such a school in NY~? Does it vary from state to state~? Just curious.
This school is around $35k per year per student, but it can be lowered by filling out a Tuition Assistance application.
https://www.flatbush.org/images/uplo...15-16%20v4.pdf

Tuitions vary primarily from school to school.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:36 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,024,513 times
Quote:
This school is around $35k per year per student, but it can be lowered by filling out a Tuition Assistance application.
https://www.flatbush.org/images/uplo...15-16%20v4.pdf

Tuitions vary primarily from school to school.

WOW! More expensive than the Catholic schools here!

Tax info??? That's personal info and shouldn't be included in my opinion!

Old 09-06-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i am not even a guy and I am aware of when someone is not included in a minyan, such as when there is a wait before the Torah can be read and there are ten men but they are still waiting so obviously one of them is not able to be included. it happens. it is not personal. it is like any other part of the service that is conducted following halacha, such as when there is a problem with one of the scrolls and there is a delay while they figure out what to do

so yes it happens, rather routinely from what I've seen
It shouldn't. But from a Haredi POV it does under certain circumstances.

Quote:
However, add to the group the simplest Jew, someone who perhaps cannot properly read his prayer nor does he relay understand what he is saying, yet when he walks into the room he has now transformed to entire group and made them completeā€”a minyan.
Why Are Ten Men Needed for a Minyan? - Prayer

Old 09-07-2015, 02:59 AM

646 posts, read 462,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
What is "ultra-reform"~? I've never heard of this. I've heard of "Reconstructionalist" Jews. Is it like them~?
Reconstructionist Judaism is more conservative than Reform. They keep kosher, for example. Well, you don't HAVE to, but it is very much encouraged and at their events you will likely be served only kosher food.

"Ultra-Reform" probably only means that they were very liberal and e.g. didn't even wear kippah in their synagogue. It's a remnant of a very radical Reform movement in Germany before WWII where Reform Judaism was started in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism