U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 04:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,144,723 times

Advertisements

Someone who is looking to convert to Judaism?
I have already spoken to a Rabbi and been invited to attend class next week.
I do read a little each day, of basic things involving the religion and what I will need to know, and I do discuss with a couple of my friends who are observant...
I just want to be more prepared and gain more knowledge...

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 05:16 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,386,834 times
Go to the class.

Converting to Judaism is a long process and involves a lot of work and learning. You'll never know if it's the right decision until you start to learn about what it means to be Jewish. So go to the class. Ask questions. Get the answers, and ask more questions.

It's the only way to start.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:25 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,144,723 times
Thank you
I did read about that, and I understand why. I made my decision to convert Orthodox. I am very excited.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:39 PM

27,960 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Thank you
I did read about that, and I understand why. I made my decision to convert Orthodox. I am very excited.
What were you before?...

Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM

993 posts, read 1,027,731 times
Mazal Tov (good luck!).

As the class goes along, if you're ever offered any opportunity to go eat at someone's home during one Shabbat (Sabbath) or holiday meal, accept that invitation. It is wonderful to see how the home life functions in a Jewish household.

Do not feel like you'd be a burden. If a family offers up this hospitality, it is their joy to do so.

Another suggestion: if you're in a class with others about Judaism, pay attention to learning about Judaism. It's a natural impulse to want to compare to your religion-of-origin, but some people take up so much class airtime talking about what Jesus said on the same topics (for example, on helping the sick or poor). It gets annoying. Also, most rabbis are not experts on Christianity, to teach you about the differences between faiths. You'll have to figure out some of the differences yourself.

When you have serious feelings or questions about detaching yourself from your old faith, that's a time to talk individually with the rabbi by special appointment. It's hard and very personal sometimes to tangle with what you are leaving behind. While the rabbi might not know much about what you used to do, he'll know thngs about how it feels to come into what he teaches.

At the beginning, though, just enjoy being in a group class where people are all learning about Judaism. Sometimes people bond and make good friends at these classes, too, although that's not the point of the class. It's more of a happy byproduct, sometimes, depending on who's there. If others invite you to go out after class, then, be open to that, too!

Last edited by BrightRabbit; 09-15-2015 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM

1,386 posts, read 495,346 times
Be prepared to change everything and have all the things you might have heard or learned questioned and subverted. Be ready to learn to live a completely different type of life, to move, to separate from old friends and make new ones. Be prepared to work very hard, every day, all the time.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Someone who is looking to convert to Judaism?
Why do you have to convert?

If you just start acting Jewish and follow Jewish customs, won't people accept you as Jewish?

If you go thru a conversion process, do you get a certificate showing that you are officially Jewish? And will the leaders of a synagogue ask you to show your certificate to prove you are Jewish?

Yes, these are serious questions.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Why do you have to convert?

If you just start acting Jewish and follow Jewish customs, won't people accept you as Jewish?

If you go thru a conversion process, do you get a certificate showing that you are officially Jewish? And will the leaders of a synagogue ask you to show your certificate to prove you are Jewish?

Yes, these are serious questions.
You don't get a certificate per se, but you often get documentation so that when people do ask you (and there are situations in which that happens) you have the necessary papers. Simply acting Jewish won't make people accept you.

Now this isn't to say that someone couldn't sneakily learn the handshakes and code words and "pass" for a Jew. Generations hence, no one would be able to prove otherwise. Then it is just a matter of honesty and moral fiber.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,113,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Simply acting Jewish won't make people accept you.
If you have friends who you think are Jewish, have you ever asked them to prove they are Jewish, or do you just take their word for it?

When would a person need documentation to prove they are Jewish?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
If you have friends who you think are Jewish, have you ever asked them to prove they are Jewish, or do you just take their word for it?

When would a person need documentation to prove they are Jewish?
Of my friends, they have been vetted by institutions. Jewish schools ask for documentation, rabbis ask for parental (and sometimes grandparental) information. Again, anyone can lie and make stuff up. But why would someone lie in order to become Jewish. It isn't like we have it so great all the time that lying to get in makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or