Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 07:27 AM

22,047 posts, read 19,129,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soular View Post
No I don't practice Talmudic Judaism, however I am a Hebrew by blood, both by the lineages of my mother and father.
So what then is keeping you from converting to Judaism? Why are you unwilling to follow Jewish law?

My observation is that many who claim they are the "real Jews" do not want to actually convert to Judaism, because of two things: (a) they really are anti-Jewish at a very deep level and to put it bluntly hate Jews for a variety of reasons; and (b) they insist on keeping Jesus (and parts of other religions) which is idolatry.

and for any guy that wants a sanction for polygamy, that is clearly all about a man simply being a slave to his own lust and base animal behavior, and is as far from serving Hashem as it gets.

we hear a lot about what YOU want and what YOU claim....being a Jew is about doing what GOD wants. Jewish law is the guide for that, not what some random person feels like doing based on their own individual interpretation of Torah, which is driven by the yetzer hara.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-06-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 07:33 AM

248 posts, read 174,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No such thing as Talmudic Judaism...
Yet the Talmud is arguably the most recognized book by Jews and has more recognition than the Torah in the official religion.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
So what then is keeping you from converting to Judaism? Why are you unwilling to follow Jewish law?

My observation is that many who claim they are the "real Jews" do not want to actually convert to Judaism, because of two things: (a) they really are anti-Jewish at a very deep level and to put it bluntly hate Jews for a variety of reasons; and (b) they insist on keeping Yeezus (and parts of other religions) which is idolatry.

and for any guy that wants a sanction for polygamy, that is clearly all about a man simply being a slave to his own lust, and is as far from serving Hashem as it gets.

we hear a lot about what YOU want and what YOU claim....being a Jew is about doing what GOD wants. Jewish law is the guide for that, not what some random person feels like doing based on their own individual interpretation of Torah, which is really driven by the yetzer hara.
I am Hebrew by blood, no man can lie to me and say I am not. Even though we lost some of our ways and knowledge due to colonialism and the Maafa we have kept many and observe as much as we were able to pass down in our families.

You're right, I wouldn't convert to Judaism for certain reason(s). For instance, I wouldn't want my son going through metzitzah b'peh, that practice alone is one reason I would not 'formally convert'. Also I want to observe the right feast days and observe the Sabbath accordingly. In the Ancient Hebrew calendar there are 360 days, so it's a period of discovery for me.

Another thing, the man who you all will not name, definitely lived and existed and never once said to "worship him" but only the Father, yes I do observe his teachings and I see nothing wrong with that. All Hebrews in the Ancient days and some point or another came to recognize him as what you all don't recognize him as. In my style of learning, however, I want no room for skepticism and observe all points and sides as they are and come to my own conclusion because Yah have given me understanding and I am slave to no man or group.

I don't disagree with polygamy nor do I advocate for it, I have not seen it written in the law that man should only have one wife, it does say be fruitful and multiply with no specifics to number of wives but if you can point it out share with us.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,955,682 times
Quote:
From the OT:

Isaiah Chapters 13 and 14.
Just read both chapters...What have they to do with what you posted?...

Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Chapter 13 reads of the coming destruction of the New World and Chapter 14 follows:

1For the Lord will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob. 2And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of ISrael shall possess them in the land of the Lord for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors...

It goes on to say how the kings of Babylon (the ones who rule today) and the people who follow them will be smote and persecuted endlessly...

So basically mercy will be shown to the children of Israel while everyone else will feel wrath for their ways.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Chapter 13 reads of the coming destruction of the New World and Chapter 14 follows:

1For the Lord will have mercy on Jacob, and will yet choose Israel, and set them in their own land: and the strangers shall be joined with them, and they shall cleave to the house of Jacob. 2And the people shall take them, and bring them to their place: and the house of ISrael shall possess them in the land of the Lord for servants and handmaids: and they shall take them captives, whose captives they were; and they shall rule over their oppressors...

It goes on to say how the kings of Babylon (the ones who rule today) and the people who follow them will be smote and persecuted endlessly...

So basically mercy will be shown to the children of Israel while everyone else will feel wrath for their ways.
And who are the children of Israel?...

Old 11-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:

1.For the Lord shall have mercy on Jacob and again choose Israel, and He shall place them on their soil, and the strangers shall accompany them and join the House of Jacob.
Rashi's Commentary:

For the Lord shall have mercy on Jacob: to keep for them the promise of their redemption from Babylonia.

and again choose Israel: in the future, He shall redeem them with a complete redemption.

and join: And they shall be added on. Comp. (I Sam. 2: 36) “Take me now into… (סָפְחֵנִי) ” and also (ibid. 27:19) “From cleaving to the Lord’s heritage (מֵהִסְתַּפֵּחַ).”
2.And peoples shall take them and bring them to their place, and the House of Israel shall inherit them on the soil of the Lord, for slaves and maidservants, and they shall be captors to their captors and rule over those who dominate over them.
Rashi's Commentary:

shall inherit: they shall inherit from them, and similarly, “and you shall hold onto them as an inheritance” (Lev. 25:46).

and rule: Heb. וְרָדוּ, an expression of ruling and dominating, as (Lev. 25:46): “You shall not rule over him (תִרְדֶה).”

Old 11-06-2015, 09:15 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,675,028 times
Quote:
Yet the Talmud is arguably the most recognized book by Jews and has more recognition than the Torah in the official religion.
The Talmud is not simply one book, it's a collection of books that cover an entire shelf (or 2) in a bookcase. It is a collection of commentaries with numerous conflicts that date back over 2500 years. It's the most recognized because it is the largest reference book related to the Torah. And btw there are two versions of it in which the Orthodox take information to live by and if they don't like what one says then they jump to the other and follow what the other says.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,255,010 times
Quote:
No I don't practice Talmudic Judaism, however I am a Hebrew by blood, both by the lineages of my mother and father.

I've read those scriptures and see God set aside these men for purpose, like the man you all wish not to speak of. Show me where Yah has sent a lineage through the woman in any of the holy scriptures.
Being a "Hebrew" has no value to me because it has no meaning. Hebrew is a language. Many years ago it was a signifier so I guess that's how you mean it. So you are a monotheist. That's nice.

I gave those verses to show that being "son of" doesn't always mean genetics. You now shift the discussion away (as you have no answer to that point) and say that there, it isn't about genetics, but being set aside for a purpose. That's nice but irrelevant. Then you say that lineage doesn't go through the woman Well, you could look at the lineage of David and see that his ancestor, Ruth, was a woman, and her presence in his line is important. You could look at the daughters of Tzlofchad and see that inheritance can fall to a woman. You could look at Yair, who was accounted son of Menashe by virtue of his mother. You could look at Deut 7:3-4 carefully and see that the child of a Jewish mother is considered Jewish while the child of a non-Jewish mother isn't.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And who are the children of Israel?...
The scattered children of Israel. The ancient people, anybody within the E1b1a group and all its subclades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism