Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:03 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a person can be a Jew, that is one thing
but what brings change and improvement to the world is how we live life as a Jew
I asked, "What is it that makes a Jew?"...

Old 12-03-2015, 03:55 AM

145 posts, read 98,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a conversion is meant to be discouraging
if it is fast, easy, accommodating, comfortable, pleasant or encouraging, then it is suspect
No there is nothing in normative Halacha that states that a prospective convert must be discouraged. The only thing is to inquire before them their intentions i.e are they doing it for a Jewish partner and also to inform them of the reward and punishment surrouding the Mitzot. So for example inform the prospective convert that if they are caught doing Melecha on Shabbat by two witnesses or more, and issued a warning and persist. Then they are liable to be stoned by the Bet Din. or if done in error bring a [i]Chatat [/I- sin offering which would not be the case had they remained non- Jewish.

if they accept them proceed with the actual conversion process- Milah, Tevilah and this they Yisrael .

Moreover if you say that conversions which are encouraged by Jews are suspect how do you explain the concept of Eved Cannani and Shificah - a non- jewish slave who is brought by a Jew for which the Jewish master says to the non-jewish slave prior if he wants to accept the Brit i.e convert. To which if the Eved Cannani/Shificah accepts then they are jewish.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:25 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I asked, "What is it that makes a Jew?"...
currently? Matrilineal descent or proper conversion.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:21 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Ah, now please define "proper conversion", because according to theflipflop, I am not a Jew, which I most assuredly AM.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 AM

22,174 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Ah, now please define "proper conversion"
according to halacha

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-03-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 12:20 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
currently? Matrilineal descent or proper conversion.
According to Torah?...

we are Jews because we adhere to the beliefs and practices mandated by the Torah.

- http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...Jew-Jewish.htm

Last edited by Richard1965; 12-03-2015 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
According to Torah?...

we are Jews because we adhere to the beliefs and practices mandated by the Torah.

- What Makes a Jew "Jewish"? - Questions & Answers
we are Jews because of matrilinael descent or proper conversion and delineated in the corpus of Jewish law.

By the way, the chabad site affirms that "According to Torah law, a person's Jewishness is not a matter of life-style or self-perception: one may be totally unaware of one's Jewishness and still be a Jew, or one may consider himself Jewish and observe all the precepts of the Torah and still not be a Jew."

Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Ah, now please define "proper conversion", because according to theflipflop, I am not a Jew, which I most assuredly AM.
I can;t judge if you are or aren't. I can tel you that the standards as I understand them are matrilineal descent and conversion as supervised by and approved of by rabbis acting in accordance with halacha.

For example Conversion to Judaism - Jewish Converting

Old 12-03-2015, 01:15 PM

993 posts, read 1,385,478 times
R also accepts patrilineal descent, as per Biblical times, but I know around here you won't give me the time of day for that. I'm just saying.

I won't engage here further, as a Reform Jew, over the divisive question of "Who is a Jew.." but I welcome all to hear this as poetry:

The important thing about Who is a Jew is not only what your grandparents were, but what your grandchildren will be.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:21 PM

22,174 posts, read 19,217,049 times
this article on line talks about Conservative perspective (link below)

October 23, 2014 10:51 AM
Yoel said... I too was a Conservative convert and later converted Orthodox. It can be done!

Even if your intent is 100% right with a non-Orthodox conversion, it is not valid, because the members of the beit din must be kosher witnesses, and someone affiliated with a heretical movement is not a kosher witness.

The Conservative movement tries to portray itself as an authentic continuation of traditional Judaism, but this is clearly false. Not only have they changed many rabbinic mitzvot (such as changing the number of days required before mikvah), they have also completely abolished certain Torah mitzvot (such as the marriage restrictions for kohanim), and abandoned fundamental beliefs (such as the Sinaitic origin of the Oral Law). Such dramatic changes are completely out of the question from traditional Jewish law (including the available methodologies for changing halacha or adapting it differently to the times). Having watered down Judaism so much and violated its fundamental tenants, it's no wonder the movement is unable to keep its children from intermarrying at extremely high rates, and unable to inspire a significant proportion of its membership to be completely observant.

It may take a lot of determination and hard work to finish an Orthodox conversion for your family, but don't lose heart. Remember that everything that happens happens for a good reason. Even if the Conservative conversion is not valid, it all happened for a good reason and you should thank Hashem for it, as well as everything else that happens to you. Have faith that you will be able to convert at the right time. Contact the nearest RCA (Rabbinical Council of America) beit din and they will probably have good advice for you. Hatzlacha!

A Conservative Convert | Mystical Paths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism