Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:50 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
one real-life situation I heard of recently was a couple (a man and a woman) who attended a shul and as they became more observant, it became a problem because they had said they were a married couple and were not. They went to the rabbi and told him and asked him what to do, because whereas previously the dishonesty didn't bother them, now it did. The man immediately moved out of their home so as to follow Jewish law. Eventually they had a Jewish wedding and married, and continued to be part of the community.
You do know that there are three ways to become married, don't you?...

Quote:
another guy I knew grew up Jewish in the midwest didn't go to synagogue after his bar mitzvah, was thoroughly secular, married his high school sweetheart (she was not Jewish), went to university, many years later about the time he was finishing graduate school, they'd been married over 8 years and she starts saying its time to have kids. He said it never bothered him marrying a non-Jew, but when it came time to have kids it hit him like a ton of bricks that his kids would not be Jewish. He said he just could not do it. He started having terrible nightmares and all he could think about was in his words "if I have kids who are not Jewish, then Hitler would have won." He told his wife he could not have kids with her. That was bad enough, but by then he was well along the path of seriously exploring what it meant to him to be a Jew, and he also realized he could not stay married to her. He said he was absolutely miserable, and he knew he had to do it. So they divorced.
And you really think that that is what HaShem wanted him to do?...Divorce his wife?...

Quote:
his story struck a chord with me, because that is part of what is driving me: millions of people died so I could live a Jewish life, so i most definitely need to live a Jewish life, there really is no choice for me in this.
What millions?...

Old 12-13-2015, 11:02 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You do know that there are three ways to become married, don't you?...
And you really think that that is what HaShem wanted him to do?...Divorce his wife?...
What millions?...
when you can interact in a courteous, respectful manner, then I will consider answering your questions. until then, it's not happening. you continue to insult me and other Jews on this forum on a regular basis, including insulting the rabbi and you continue to post views that are offensive and insulting to Jews and to Judaism. trust is earned. at this point i don't trust your motive, intent or agenda.