Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 06:14 AM

83 posts, read 135,723 times

Advertisements

This is a practically-minded question. I'm trying to figure out how the "end of Shabbat" goes and how people fit it together in their schedules. I've read that Seudah Shlisheit is a small meal...would you still do the full Shabbat bentsching (grace after meals) at the end? And then, after Havdalah, do you have "real" dinner later that evening? Maybe that's the winter routine, when Shabbat ends early, whereas in the summer, as the Sun sets later, you might make Seudah Shlisheit the "dinner" of the night?

And the order goes Minchah-->Seudah Shlisheit-->Bentsching-->Havdalah-->Maariv ? Because on weekdays, Minchah (afternoon prayers) and Maariv (evening prayers) are usually said back-to-back, but I think I was at a Jewish conference where it was done in the order stated above...

Thanks for your personal tips. I love meals and putting more of them into my day, just trying to find a way for it to make a practical schedule.

Last edited by SlowDriver; 02-28-2016 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: taking out censorship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:24 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Many "third meals" are done in shul, after mincha but before ma'ariv. The community is together for mincha and has 45 minutes before shabbos ends. So they eat (often there is a vort or discussion), then bentsch, then maa'riv.

During the week there are situations where you can daven ma'ariv "early" that is, after sunset. But on shabbos, we don't daven until 3 stars are out so there will be a gap after mincha.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:50 AM

467 posts, read 352,855 times
Havdalah is AFTER Maariv.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:21 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Havdalah is AFTER Maariv.
i know of observant communities that have Havdalah prior to Maariv so that people can drive to the Maariv service

Old 02-28-2016, 11:44 AM

467 posts, read 352,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i know of observant communities that have Havdalah prior to Maariv so that people can drive to the Maariv service
My understanding is that all one must do before performing an action forbidden on Shabbos is wait for Shabbos to end, then say "Baruch haMavdil bayn kodesh l'chol." In fact, that is what is done in our community. Of course, Maariv contains a "mini-Havdalah" in the fourth blessing of the Amidah. Havdalah then follows Maariv, either in the shul or at home.

I certainly cannot state authoritatively that one sequence is more proper than another, although that may be the case. Perhaps rosends will comment.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:17 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
I'm just not sure who would be doing havdalah as no one is there yet because they are waiting til after havdalah to drive for ma'ariv.

Old 02-28-2016, 03:12 PM

83 posts, read 135,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Many "third meals" are done in shul, after mincha but before ma'ariv. The community is together for mincha and has 45 minutes before shabbos ends. So they eat (often there is a vort or discussion), then bentsch, then maa'riv.

During the week there are situations where you can daven ma'ariv "early" that is, after sunset. But on shabbos, we don't daven until 3 stars are out so there will be a gap after mincha.
Ah, right, that makes sense. Yeah, easier with a community.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:22 AM

145 posts, read 98,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I presume they say ברוך המבדיל בין קודש לי חול before hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism