Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:11 AM

646 posts, read 465,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So have I...However sometimes folks speak with strong knowledge of a subject and most if not all of their knowledge comes from either outdated material or the current media...

Btw, why do you always put three dots after a sentence even if there is already another punctuation mark?
Yes...I always have utilized the ellipsis...For me it indicates an interruption in thought or a pause in the discussion...[/quote]

Well, I do not speak from "outdated material" and for sure not any media. I am just living my life and speaking from recent encounters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
Well, I do not speak from "outdated material" and for sure not any media. I am just living my life and speaking from recent encounters.
That's sad that people have to treat each other that way...

Old 03-09-2016, 09:09 AM

671 posts, read 854,309 times
I think that I will say that Judaism is more inconclusive because there are many people recognize Jewish Atheists. I do not think that you can be an Atheist and consider yourself a Jew at the same time because the definition of being Jewish presumes that the events of the Bible occured. So, even though it makes no sense, many Jews recognize Jewish Atheists. This would never happen in Christianity.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:14 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
I think that I will say that Judaism is more inconclusive because there are many people recognize Jewish Atheists. I do not think that you can be an Atheist and consider yourself a Jew at the same time because the definition of being Jewish presumes that the events of the Bible occured. So, even though it makes no sense, many Jews recognize Jewish Atheists. This would never happen in Christianity.
Judaism is a culture and ethnicity in addition to a religion. Christianity is not.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Judaism is a culture and ethnicity in addition to a religion. Christianity is not.
I was told that Judaism is more a way of life than a religion...

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
a Jewish atheist is recognized because the two terms are unrelated. Being Jewish is a function of birth while being an atheist is a matter of personal understanding of the universe.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

I know.

Do you realize that Jewish culture and the Jewish race/ethnicity cannot exist without G-d? Do you not see that you cannot say that your family is descended from this group of people who experienced certain supernatural events if those events did not happen because (according to them) there is no G-d)?

It just makes no sense.

My knowledge of Buddhism is limited but I think that you can be an Atheist and a Buddhist at the same but an Atheist and a Jew? Never!

I don't understand why it is accepted in our communities.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
a Jewish atheist is recognized because the two terms are unrelated. Being Jewish is a function of birth while being an atheist is a matter of personal understanding of the universe.

Please see above. Think about what you wrote and think about what ancestry (and events) define what it means to be a Jew.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:39 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,706 times
Quote:
Please see above. Think about what you wrote and think about what ancestry (and events) define what it means to be a Jew.
I have thought about what I wrote. I am also pretty comfortable with Jewish law, so I stand by it. Do you have a specific question?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:50 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Within which community?
All of the ones I've been exposed to, from Conservative to Orthodox.

Quote:
Sounds like katzpur has it right and he's expressing himself clearly. I can understand that we're not happy about a Jew somehow being a Mormon, and we recognize that it's a serious error, but that hardly changes the halachic correctness of what katzpur seems to be saying.
I never stated the she had made error.

She is correct that one who is halachically Jewish is a Jew, regardless of what they believe.
But a Christian or Muslim who is halachically Jewish isn't going to be counted in a minyan or call to Torah if they are honest with those around them. Being Jewish through ancestry only doesn't get someone an all-inclusive pass to their local Jewish community.

There is a difference between being halachically Jewish, culturally Jewish, and religiously Jewish.

Last edited by JB from NC; 03-10-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism