Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 12:34 PM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just giving my opinion as a person who is neither Christian nor Jewish.

Passover is a Jewish celebration.

Easter is a Christian Holiday.

The 2 events are not related. It is actually more of an accident when they do occur near each other. Just as there will be occasions when Easter and Passover will occur at about the same time as Eid ul-Fitr. It happens because we use different calendars Each with it's own unique dating method none of which correspond to the Gregorian secular calendar.

To make even more confusion not all Christians use the same calendar. For example this year Easter will be May 1 for The Greek Orthodox Christians and the Coptic Christians.

When one is trying to compare events in one religion with events in another religion it is like trying to compare doorknobs with whales. There is no relationship even if one claims there is.
Hey! I already said all that. Except the Eid part.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:05 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,252,999 times
Historically, this becomes a fascinating question. Since the origin of Easter is reputed to be related to when Passover fell during Jesus' life (if one accepts the idea that the last supper was around the beginning of Passover and therefore the crucifixion was on Passover, and the resurrection would be 3 days later) there might be an expectation that, in years following, the two holidays would continue to be related in time.

However, while there is an lunar aspect to the computation of Easter, the Christian calendar is primarily a solar one while the Jewish calendar is an adjusted lunar one. So the computation of Passover, and the 19 year cycle, with its 7 leap years, has the holiday move forward and back through the solar spring season whereas Easter is tied definitively to the beginning of the solar spring season.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Historically, this becomes a fascinating question. Since the origin of Easter is reputed to be related to when Passover fell during Jesus' life (if one accepts the idea that the last supper was around the beginning of Passover and therefore the crucifixion was on Passover, and the resurrection would be 3 days later) there might be an expectation that, in years following, the two holidays would continue to be related in time.

However, while there is an lunar aspect to the computation of Easter, the Christian calendar is primarily a solar one while the Jewish calendar is an adjusted lunar one. So the computation of Passover, and the 19 year cycle, with its 7 leap years, has the holiday move forward and back through the solar spring season whereas Easter is tied definitively to the beginning of the solar spring season.
But, as has been pointed out, Western Easter also depends upon the appearance of the full moon after the vernal equinox. So it's both solar and lunar--but not based on Passover at all.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,252,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But, as has been pointed out, Western Easter also depends upon the appearance of the full moon after the vernal equinox. So it's both solar and lunar--but not based on Passover at all.
Right -- there is a lunar element to what is essentially a solar calendar. The Jewish calendar is a lunar one with an accommodation so that it stays generally aligned with the solar one. Because the dates are based on different calendars, they need not coincide.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:08 PM

22,991 posts, read 10,333,419 times
The only reason Christianity began keeping Easter was from pure hatred of Jews. It doesn't matter what council you look at, it all started with the hatred of Jews calling them detestable. Whether you look at Nicea or the first council with no Jew present in Caesareria in 196, the reason for rejecting the feast of God was hatred.

Hatred of Jews, and this is the cause at every council and it is named.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
The only reason Christianity began keeping Easter was from pure hatred of Jews. It doesn't matter what council you look at, it all started with the hatred of Jews calling them detestable. Whether you look at Nicea or the first council with no Jew present in Caesareria in 196, the reason for rejecting the feast of God was hatred.

Hatred of Jews, and this is the cause at every council and it is named.
Hopefully we've improved. For example, the church no longer requires the Jewish community to send a representative to be publicly slapped for killing Christ, as was the case for a time in medieval England. Not sure whether that was before or after they exiled Jews from the country entirely, of course.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,923,620 times
- I don't go to 'churches' anymore.

- I don't wear crosses anymore.

- I don't believe the trinity doctrine.

- I don't believe God came in the flesh as Jesus.

- I don't celebrate the holidays of dead catholic saints.

- I don't see any reason to celebrate Israel's "Pilgrim Feasts".

- I don't believe Jesus represents "the Passover lamb of the Jews".

The only reason I brought up pork is because on another site I was accused of being a pork eater.
They apologized. So I thought I'd get that settled here by saying so.
In case it mattered as to why anyone didn't want to talk with me.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:10 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 9 days ago)

43,451 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

To make even more confusion not all Christians use the same calendar. For example this year Easter will be May 1 for The Greek Orthodox Christians and the Coptic Christians.
A Greek Orthodox friend of mine told me that the Greek Orthodox Easter is always after the Jewish Passover.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,857,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
In case it mattered as to why anyone didn't want to talk with me.
You don't seem to understand: It has nothing to do with not wanting to talk to you; it's about us not having the information you're looking for.

As we've explained, Easter and it's timing has absolutely nothing to do with us, our religion, or our holy days. You're much more likely to find the information you're looking for with the Christians of the forum.

The best most of us are likely to do is give you a link to what could very well be a dubious website with unorthodox information (which has already been offered).

Old 03-24-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
A Greek Orthodox friend of mine told me that the Greek Orthodox Easter is always after the Jewish Passover.
And so did I, Post 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.