Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 04:43 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
WHAT???? I grew up celebrating birthdays~! My Mom (R.I.P.) always had birthday parties for me as a kid. And as an adult she would treat me to lunch. I miss her
There is Torah and Talmud behind his statement.
Birthdays and Judaism - My Jewish Learning
Jews & Birthdays

And fwiw, we don't personally celebrate birthdays either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 10:14 AM

23,144 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Not that anyone would pay attention to Josephus, but he said Jews don't keep birthdays because it always seems to be a reason to get drunk and party, I know right, what a buzz kill.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:52 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Don't worry. I did too. And I still ended up loving Hashem and His Torah.
Wow, you do have some nice things to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There is Torah and Talmud behind his statement.
Birthdays and Judaism - My Jewish Learning
Jews & Birthdays

And fwiw, we don't personally celebrate birthdays either.
Did you not celebrate birthday, Pruz~?

Old 07-27-2017, 07:12 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I don't celebrate my birthday for a few reasons:

1. It reminds me of my mortality, marking the time as I hurtle headlong into death.

2. I did nothing to deserve it -- thank my mom.

3. I don't like isolating one day to celebrate a person. Why not just be a little nicer everyday?

Nothing religious about my reasoning.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:13 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I'd consider this offensive statement. But that's nothing new either.

True Self in physical body is immortal. It has no birth date. There is really nothing to celebrate from that standpoint. Physical body comes and goes. You don't celebrate passing of rain, do you?
Immortal or eternal?...

Old 07-28-2017, 05:15 PM

40 posts, read 41,803 times
People celebrate birthdays because is fun.

Sure, I do agree that the whole idea of over celebrating your birthday is ridiculous. And if you don't want to do it is fine.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:08 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,639 times
I just watched a documentary about a couple who survived the death camps, and they were celebrating his 90th birthday. Personally, I think he earned the right to, if he wants, and to give HaShem the praise for making it that far though so much. But that's just my opinion. Peace

Old 12-17-2021, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
The Torah mentions Abraham hosting a feast to celebrate Isaac’s weaning (Genesis 21:8). For this reason, many traditional Jews celebrate on the 2nd or 3rd birthday.

Other special birthdays include turning 3, when many traditional Jews cut a son’s hair for the first time — a practice referred to as upsheren.

Age 13 - the age of bar/bat mitzvah. (Traditionally, many girls marked their bat mitzvah at age 12.)

Pirke Avot (5:21) specifies several milestone birthdays:

5 for the study of the Torah;
10 for the study of the Mishnah;
13 for the commandments;
15 for the study of Talmud;
18 for marriage;
20 for earning a living;
30 for power;
40 for understanding;
50 for giving advice;
60 for old age;
70 for grey hairs;
80 for special strength;
90 for bowed back;
100 – it is as if he had died and passed away.

The Hasidic group Chabad encourages Jews to mark their Hebrew birthdays by having an aliyah (being called to the Torah), reading psalms (including the psalm number associated with their new age), reflecting on the past year and making a donation to tzedakah (charity).

Last edited by tracirose14; 12-17-2021 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 12-18-2021, 07:26 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Here is a link to an article from Chabad.org that explains why your birthday matters:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ay-Matters.htm

While it's good that we have yahrzeit dates for the remembrance of loved ones who have passed on, I'm pleased that the living among us have Jewish birthdays. For anyone here who doesn't know the month and day in the Hebrew calendar for your birthday, here is a calculator to help you find your Jewish birthday:

https://www.chabad.org/calendar/birt...Calculator.htm

My own birthday is Cheshvan 23

What's your Hebrew month and day?

Old 12-18-2021, 08:19 PM

22,164 posts, read 19,213,038 times
i pay attention to the Tehillim that corresponds to year i am living, which is my age plus one.

for instance i just turned 63, so I am living in my 64th year, so the tehillim for me is 64.

but i don't celebrate my birthday in any way. Other than using it as an excuse to take a day off of work! I didn't even know that was a thing until i was in my late 40s, and a manager at work who was probably in her 50s said she had never worked on her birthday EVER, she ALWAYS took the day off. So the past few years I've been doing that. I was a state employee for a few years, and one of the annual holidays, in addition to the fixed holidays that everyone got, was "your birthday." I thought that was pretty neat.

i also pay attention to the Torah portion each year for the week of my secular birthday. and to the Torah portion which corresponds to the week when i was actually born. that has significance for my whole life. (for me that is Miketz.)

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-18-2021 at 08:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism