Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 03:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Don't I have more than a clue? Because Vechomer happens to be my surname. Why are you calling me a problematic poster, when you aren't even Jewish enough to answer a question with a question? Don't you think you ought to get D231 to check out your genes?

BTW, not to split hares, but don't you know enough not to split infinitives?
Vechomer is not a surname and since this forum is leaning towards Orthodox, most here know it's usually stated as Kal Vechomer (a fortiori) and know what it means. Since you are so inclined to use it without explanation, why don't create a thread and explain it since it has no direct translation. The OP asked a simple closed ended question, which got a closed ended response. If he wanted more than that then he should have spelled it out in the body of #1. As to D231 I don't care what's sitting in his jeans. As to split infinitives, posts on boards are in journal format so posts are free flowing and thus grammar doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 04:04 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Vechomer is not a surname and since this forum is leaning towards Orthodox, most here know it's usually stated as Kal Vechomer (a fortiori) and know what it means. Since you are so inclined to use it without explanation, why don't create a thread and explain it since it has no direct translation. The OP asked a simple closed ended question, which got a closed ended response. If he wanted more than that then he should have spelled it out in the body of #1. As to D231 I don't care what's sitting in his jeans. As to split infinitives, posts on boards are in journal format so posts are free flowing and thus grammar doesn't matter.
Pruzhany,

You should have said "grammar don't matter."

Vechomer

P.S Pruzhany is not a surname, either. At least I have a given name, or, as your Marine Corps buddies would have said, a Christian name. What's yours?

Old 07-26-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
Pruzhany,

You should have said "grammar don't matter."

Vechomer

P.S Pruzhany is not a surname, either. At least I have a given name, or, as your Marine Corps buddies would have said, a Christian name. What's yours?
Pruzhany is actually a city. Why don't you look up the history of it, then you'll understand why I chose is. As to my surname it's really none of your business.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:36 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Pruzhany is actually a city. Why don't you look up the history of it, then you'll understand why I chose is. As to my surname it's really none of your business.
Pruzhany,

Guess what! My surname is really none of your business, either. Hard to believe that works both ways, isn't it? Why do you think I chose a nom de plume, like Call Vechomer? Should I have hidden my gender, also? Maybe I could pose as Althea Morso.

Vechomer

Old 07-26-2016, 09:01 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Default What I Love About Being Jewish

I am now 59. I was Bar Mitzvahed in May 1970 and at that point almost abandoned any active interest in Judaism. That proved to be temporary. I series of developments from the summer of 1972 through the next winter changed my perspective. I am now an active, somewhat observant Reform Jew. My interest started to develop during the second half of the summer of 1972. I changed sleep-away camps and met a much more mature group of primarily Jewish campers. After camp was over the Olympic massacres concentrated my mind a bit.

But the two main factors were Judaism's pragmatic death rituals (which suddenly became very important to me) and being made aware, by a sharp rebuke by a then-stranger, and now close friend of 44 years of Judaism's promotion of education, accomplishment and family.

Role of Judaism's Death Rituals

Judaism's death rituals are almost unique. They are well-known for centering around the rapid scheduling of the funeral, rapid burial of the body, and a short but intense mourning period, called "Shiva." When I was growing up in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I actually had very little interest in Judaism. I cleaned out my desk at Hebrew school first class day after my Bar Mitzvah on May 2, 1970.

Fast forward to late 1972 and early 1973, my sophomore year of high school. Even before my father's death of January 5, 1973, I had developed friendships with people who took Judaism seriously. More on that below.

My father died in the wee hours of the morning of January 5, 1973. By that afternoon The rabbi was in our living room going over the funeral. He carefully explained the rationale of Jewish death rituals, and I participated actively in the drafting of the eulogy. I frankly learned more about Judaism in that 30 to 60 minutes then I learned in my last year of Hebrew school, when I was 12 and 13. That was in the spring of 1970.

Since then I've always found Jewish rituals concerning death both sensible and comforting. In fact, I wrote the eulogy for my stepfather's funeral in 2013, and my mothers a year later.

I love the valuation of education, of family cohesiveness and orientation towards accomplishment.

Family and Educational Values

During the fall of my sophomore year of high school, during 1972, I was cracking a typical joke about "doctors, lawyers and Rabbis." Someone who I never met before, whose first name was also Jim but had a distinctly non-Jewish last name, interrupted me and asked if I was Jewish. (More on this person, Advice on Upcoming Tense 40th High School Reunion). Then he said "don't you have any pride in your religion or heritage?" He went on to point out the number of people with accomplishments that were Jewish. This from another 15-year-old high school sophomore. To this day, despite some rifts, we remain very close friends.

The fact that Jewish families are typically very close provides a nurturing environment for education. Homework is taken seriously by parents. Trust me, he children turn in it. That just doesn't happen in many other families. Also, bullying and violence are seriously discouraged. This reduces opportunities for distraction and drama.

Jews are not perfect by any means. But overall, for a religion or culture, I'll take it any day.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:17 PM

671 posts, read 853,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by call View Post
is anyone suspicious because the first two answers were answers instead of questions?
huh?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Your list was your response to the question you asked. If you wanted a response in relation to your list you should have asked your question in regards to your list.
I think I made a statement....The "question" was contained in the header of the list of 10...

Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I think I made a statement....The "question" was contained in the header of the list of 10...
Nope.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:36 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Nope.
Yes...the header of the thread was the question contained within the quote itself...

Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yes...the header of the thread was the question contained within the quote itself...
Nope. Not as a introduction but a conclusion. Thus no longer a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism